The Football Thread!

Guys, I seriously hope Robben keeps up this shape with the World Cup. I've seen the match Bayern - Freiburg...holy crap.. if he's just keeps playing like this, and Sneijder, van der Vaart & now van Nistelrooy back into shape, I think we have the most insane attacking line-up on the World Cup...

As for my team Ajax......we're back!!!
Yesterday was the most important match this year, against PSV. We we're were trailing by 4 points, now only 1 point remaining!
And this distance was 12 points 2 months ago!

Now hopefully next week PSV will win from Twente. Both teams have a really difficult programme in front of them....
I still don't get it why Twente is leading. These guys have won 10 games (!!!!) in overtime....

1 FC Twente 27 22 4 1 70 51 - 21
2 PSV 27 20 5 2 65 60 - 22
3 Ajax 27 20 4 3 64 80 - 18

Yesterday's match: Ajax - PSV

Last edited by a moderator:
I´m fucking glad and proud we have Van Nistelrooy and Robben in the Bundesliga. This is an enourmus improvement and I hope the German league will be more and more attractive for some more worldclass players like Robben or Ribery :kickass:

But now, the FC Bayern is basically the only European top club that's not knee-deep in debt. Our whole league is on a very secure financial footing.

But it's not all spitefulness, I think it's actually very sad to see some of the clubs with the biggest traditions (especially in the Premier League) being at the mercy of obscure investors who have no historical connection to the clubs whatsoever and treat them like their toys.

tbf chelsea are "virtually" debt free now, and arsenal have always been well praised on how they manage their books....

tbf chelsea are "virtually" debt free now, and arsenal have always been well praised on how they manage their books....

Yes, it's true, Arsenal is one of the more stable clubs in the Premier League with a debt of only 203.6 million GBP. Peanuts in relation to Man U's or Liverpool's situation...

But still, even Arsenal had to sell serious amounts of the "family's silverware" to cut down on that number from last year's debt total of 332.8 million. For now, the actual substance of the squad has been left - more or less - untouched. But if that's to continue is pretty much up in the air..

They made a smart move by spreading their shares under a relatively big number of minority shareholders, that way, Arsenal have been less vulnerable to ups and downs of individual investors. We'll see how this will play out in the long run.

---

Addressing Chelsea: You're a supporter, right? Of course, Abramovich not only rescued that sinking ship in 03 but he also gave them the means to establish Chelsea as an international top club, coming from the nether land of the Premier League's midfield.

But are you really that happy about your club being dependant on the goodwill of a patron who treats it like a toy?

Chelsea may be "virtually debt free" with Abramovich rectifying the balance after each season and maybe they'll even make the targeted turn-around this year (which I doubt), but that still leaves almost half a billion Euro in losses since he took over.

If they don't make that turn-around soon and Abramovich either loses his interest (due to failing success) or takes another heavy financial hit (and doesn't recover this time) and consequently sells the club, Chelsea's future might be once again in jeopardy, sooner than later.

---

I'm just a passionate footy fan and the scenario of losing some of these traditional clubs (or having them heavily diminished) worries me. Wasn't the example of Leeds United enough of a warning signal?

I think my ideal world cup outcome would be if England get to the finals then lose.

It'd be the ultimate cocktease.

BAYERN BAYERN BAYERN BAYERN :kickass:

I hope you win from manchester... :).
The last match was wonderfull to see, allthough (i think) man was better, you guys won..yeah Olic haha...

almost..almost..almost...i seriously hope twente will lose 2 matches..they still have AZ & Feyenoord to beat, tough competitors!!

1 FC Twente 30 24 5 1 77 57 - 22
2 Ajax 30 23 4 3 73 89 - 19
3 PSV 30 22 6 2 72 66 - 25

Utd are going to be extremely angry on Wednesday night, Bayren better'd watch out.

It will be so fucking thrilling! Can´t wait to see this game!! Fortunatelly all important players are fit in Bayern, but what´s up with Rooney? He is so important for Manu!

For me this will be the match of the year. Manu - Bayern!! This is pure Drama.

I hope you win from manchester... .

Will be not easy..Fergusson is a smart fox :)

Imagine. World Cup 2010 final: England - Germany! I´d probably need much more beer than today :lol: Although we kicked you out, England still has the best leage, I´ve to admit. But Germany slowly approaches ;) At least we´ll overtake Italy..(for the case Inter will loose against Barca)