The future of Anathema and Antimatter

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
Now I can't wait for some new Antimatter. I actually haven't even heard the first album, but with Danny and Duncan, two of the greatest writers in music, I'm sure it'll be amazing.

I wonder what Vinnie did to piss Daniel off?

I also wonder if Anathema will continue with just a few members? Personally I'm quite happy for them to end now. I think 'A Fine Day to Exit' would make a perfect epilogue to their career.

Antimatter is really great music. It's strange that their album is hard to get (as far as I know it wasn't released widely) and I (surprisingly!) glad that I live in Russia, where Irond has released "Saviour" (Huuuge thanx!).
Antimatter is just the music I like, and it has something that Anathema never gave me... very strange feeling I cannot transform into words...

Originally posted by LoboUivante
i cant wait to get some Antimatter... Anathema should continue i think, but now they should be called "Vincent".
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, now with Danny off his back, Vinny can at last attempt to become a "kharismatic phrontman"!

I saw the Antimatter in a store I was in but decided not to get it. It's got female vocals hasn't it. Are they any good??

I see a lot of people check this forum but few post...

Come on Anathema fans. Don't be shy!

Duncan is pretty much living in Ireland these days, so he is up with us quite a bit...he is not too happy with Icon Records and is lookig to get a desolate cottage somewhere and just play music.

The Antimatter Cd is very, very good

Hey!

I listended to "Psalms", the downloadable Antimatter song, and I think it's a great one. Michelle's vocs remember me of Portishead. Great James-Bond-Feeling-Song.
So it's a pitty you can't get the CD here in Germany!
Does Michelle do all the CDs vocals? Must be great!

NICO

Well, I don´t think that any of them will ever write songs with that unbelievable intensity as in the old days (pre AFDTE) again. Vincent and John seem to have fun with writing mediocre and boring stuff like on AFDTE and Danny, I don´t think that he will have such a strong influence on Duncan and (?) Moss that Anitmatter will sound again like the old Anathema. We will see what happens. I am glad that I found other bands that can create deep atmospheric songs... Opeth, Katatonia...

Anathema R.I.P.

I don't think AFDTE is a boring album. I like it, because it's once more an album where Anathema have changed a bit direction, and it has still been very atmospheric in any time in my eyes. So: Nothing wrong about changing. It's true that Danny's compositions were the most "Antathema"-style songs, but I'll give Vincent and John a chance, I guess they have the ability to create new Anathema concepts.
Let's see.

NICO

Originally posted by Frodnat
I am glad that I found other bands that can create deep atmospheric songs... Opeth, Katatonia...

Anathema R.I.P.

You call AFDTE borring and then you say that Katatonia is atmospheric?? :lol:
Didn't you listen to their last two albums?? It's like listening radio! Just boring. Sorry, but on Katatonias new albums all songs sound the same...

Originally posted by Eos

You call AFDTE borring and then you say that Katatonia is atmospheric?? :lol:
Didn't you listen to their last two albums?? It's like listening radio! Just boring. Sorry, but on Katatonias new albums all songs sound the same...

I think you haven't listen to the Katatonia-albums. For example the last one, "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" the best album released last year (that's my opinion, oh and AFDTE 2nd)
There is a lot of differences between the songs. "We must Bury You" is almost dance (let us call it dancemetal (like the new theatre of tragedy)) "Passing Bird" sound a bit poppy (the strophe!) "Sweet Nurse" have some nice echo-effects on the guitar) And if you think to get a song with "Don't tell a Soul" to slow down at the end of the album you are wrong!

Maybe Anathema is your favourite band because they're making always other albums. We already have Doom, Gothic and Psychedelic Metal, and with AFDTE some sort of alternative rock.
But it's just great too see some bands are doing always the same. Like Rhapsody! And Katatonia, after the Deathmetal-period they're still making the same sort of music (Discouraged Ones, Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down)
And they may continue with that, because they're just good in it!

Originally posted by Mariner

I think you haven't listen to the Katatonia-albums. For example the last one, "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" the best album released last year (that's my opinion, oh and AFDTE 2nd)

I heard "Last Fair Gone Down" and (for me) it was just to much mainstream. I listened once to "Discouraged Ones" and I liked that one a bit more. I heard that their first few albums were much better than the newer ones.
I also saw them live in November (the were the opening act of one of my favourite bands Opeth :D ) and I wasn't the only person who said that it sounds as someone forgott to turn off the repeat button.
Music is always a matter of taste and so for every person different (which is good). I could probably never make you like Marilyn Manson or Hypocrisy ;)

I think Danny left a sinking ship...

The best solution would be, when Vinny, John and Les would change the band's name and let the legend ANATHEMA rest in peace instead of deconstructing it with such albums like AFDTE. It is normal that members leave, bands split and even great pioneers of music lose the spirit of genius. Better they bury ANATHEMA now before its too late and all the glory is vanished

Bah, fuk these "glory", "legend" or "mainstream" arguments. It's music, not football or politics. We don't listen to Anathema to make new "non-mainstream" friends.