The Future of Recording

Will be interesting to see how this really works in practice and with signals that are harder to process/analyze. One thing is pretty certain: this won't work on distorted signals but you could use it on a DI track and then reamp.

It'll be included in upcoming Melodyne editions. Which is already a very powerful plug with its autotune and other functions... basically gives you the power to polish a turd (as far as it's possible). Dependant on the version Melodyne right now ranges from about 200€ to 650€.

I can picture a big debate about the morals of using software in recordings. What do you guys think about it?

That said, this looks amazing!

If it sounds good, I don't care how they did it. Only luddites whine about software.

I toyed with an earlier incarnation of Melodyne before, and while it was a nice looking, it really did nothing more than what my TC Helicon Voiceworks can do for me in both a studio and live session. Hardware Pitch Correction with extended harmonies > Software ...

I live my dream playing around pretending I'm Hansi and singing Mirror Mirror to myself!

So anyway, onto their new abilities, I'm indifferent. While I am the shittiest guitar player on this side of the Delta, it just feels too much like cheating to edit anything on such a level as that. However, say I were to just fuck up a few notes on a lead, currently, for a clean sounding edit, you have to essentially re-record that whole section. Any pitch alterations make it sound awful, unless you're a extremely familiar and talented with your tools (not me), and the ability to quickly fix a little fuck up without it sounding out of place will be something nice for the poor guys in charge of mixing and mastering.

Actually, that's not true if you know how to punch well and use crossfades to your advantage...

This will be interesting, if it actually works. I'm not holding my breath. Hell, I'm not even holding the teenage stripper in the closet's breath. She's likely to get away now... oh well, I'm just really not expecting this to work.

Jeff

As great as the concept is, it gives access to great music, to people with no real talent.

Actually, that's not true if you know how to punch well and use crossfades to your advantage...

Isn't what I said "Any pitch alterations make it sound awful, unless you're a extremely familiar and talented with your tools (not me)"...

Do people not read anymore?