The future of this forum

Eurynome

Kukkahattutäti
Apr 19, 2011
Helsinki
www.eurynome.fi
Hi folks,

I've been postponing this for months now because I'm not an eager writer under any circumstances and have been rather dreading this one, but November is drawing near and - straight to the matter - I have to find a successor by then if we want this forum to live on.

To step aside has not been an easy decision for me. The Amorphis forum became my home on the internet in 2005, before Myspace and long before Facebook. Back in those days, it offered an unexpected road of escape from the traumatic isolation of an abusive "relationship" and it's hardly an exaggeration to say that almost my entire circle of friends has its roots here in some way or another, directly or indirectly. Most of the people I originally met through this forum have long since quit here and moved on to Facebook (as have I, for by far the most part of my online time) but a few of you have stuck around here as well (you know who you are
Hug.gif
), and I'm happy to see even a few newcomers. :)

While I was working as a webmaster for Amorphis, I twice (in 2008 and 2011) managed to save the old board from termination with the help of active members, but by 2012 I was no longer a part of the team and there was nothing I could do - except pick up the torch and create a new forum here on Ultimate Metal (thanks Deron!). I'm glad I did it at the time, it felt like the right thing to do and I don't regret a single penny spent on maintaining this community - but as the phrase implies, the fun has not been for free. For the past four years, I paid this forum out of my own pocket, which was fine with me as long as Amorphis was the center of my life and I still had a steady job, but neither has been the case for quite a while anymore, and now the time has come for me to pass said torch to whoever is willing to carry on in my stead.

I wouldn't mind to pay a small contribution if the next forum mom/dad decides to go for some sort of crowdfunding (which might be the fairest solution), I just don't want to be the person responsible anymore. I hope for your kind understanding, and I want to thank you all from the bottom of my
Heart.gif

Love,
Tina

I obviously don't know you very well since I'm new and all, but I know how important a forum can be (I used to have a forum home too, I literally felt homeless when they shut down because the artist in question suddenly decided to sue the website), so I really admire your dedication and all the work you put into this!

Life happens, whether we like it or not. I really hope you can find a worthy successor. :)

I really hope you can find a worthy successor. :)

Would you be interested in the job? :) What this forum needs most is some fresh enthusiasm, and it's actually not much work anymore these days. The UM overlords take care of the spambots and we haven't seen a troll in years. ;) The cost is §60 a year (or five per month, but it has to be paid for a year in advance) and I for one wouldn't mind to donate the cost of a Finnish pint, or two Dutch ones.

Speaking of which - thanks Tuonelan, I'll gladly take you up on that offer. :D Not likely that I'll ever come to LA, but welcome to Finland anytime you please! :*

I second the call for fresh enthusiasm. Those of us who have been on the forum since it was hosted on the Amorphis site have seen so many posts come and go that it's hard to keep that sort of input going (that's the reason we pretty much stick to new music recs and local news) , but we have a lot of "institutional memory" that we can add to discussions if others are starting them and participating.

Though I'm not much of an oldie I am neither a newcomer and a year ago I would have gladly taken up the torch. However, too many IRL obligations prevent me that from doing that now. I am also not much of an online person at all, at least not anymore, (this forum and two other forums are basically the only "social networks" I use), but I would really hate to see this place go. It's been an important part of my life in more ways than one..

That being said, I thoroughly support the idea of a successor who is enthusiastic and of bringing new blood to this place.

I am also in for the crowdfunding. I mean, if we all chip-in, we could cover the expenses easily. I guess we should contact other members about this, at least those of you who can should contact them...

As for beer for Tina, I owe her, like, a sixpack or so. Which reminded me, I also owe Trin some rakija...
Erm, one day... :oops:

:kickass:

Reactions: Eurynome
Would you be interested in the job? :) What this forum needs most is some fresh enthusiasm, and it's actually not much work anymore these days. The UM overlords take care of the spambots and we haven't seen a troll in years. ;) The cost is §60 a year (or five per month, but it has to be paid for a year in advance) and I for one wouldn't mind to donate the cost of a Finnish pint, or two Dutch ones.

That is such an honour. :) I would love to do it, but I'm afraid I will not able to live up to it. There are very hectic times ahead for us, we are moving soon and as a result our finances will drop to the floor, so I'm afraid I'm not the most suitable person right now for such a responsibility. But I will keep it in mind, and I definitely want to help to keep the forum alive, so if there's anything else I can do I'd love to help. :)

So what does this job entail, besides the $60 per year?
Nothing else really, it's just the once-a year money transfer. :) On the old forum I was the actual administrator and at times pretty busy killing spambots, but here all administration duties are taken care of by the Ultimate Metal staff. If you're interested in taking over, I'll simply put you in touch with Deron of UM. :)

A few weeks ago Eury told me it was 60 US Dollars in PM, so I think that's what she meant. If it weren't, it would be Euros and that would add on another $6 or so.

Yeah, was supposed to read $60 but I hit the wrong key (they're next to each other on my keyboard) and didn't notice the typo as they actually look fairly similar. And the dollar sign is not exactly something you come across very often in my part of the world :D

So are we going to set up some sort of crowdfunding?

If nobody else wants it, I guess I can take up the torch of administration. Not the best moment in my life, but I could probably pull it off. Wouldn't be a first time.
However, I can't really pay for the cost as they are since I have zero income. As I've said before, I'll gladly donate to the cause.

I'm willing to help support this, but I think that for this to work, someone who could and would support the forum on their own for a year would probably need to step up and then build a paypal or whatnot account for donations. Gofundme seems like overkill and too much extra work for what this is, and the money needs to go directly to whomever will be responsible to keep things simple and prevent any mix-ups.

(I, too, have too much shit going on in my life to run things here, but I do have a little bit of extra $ to kick in, so...)