The 'geek/nerd/anime/comics/etc.' thread

I saw like 50 chapters... a One Piece of trash.

Jigoku Shoujo is a shameless ripoff from Vampire Princess Miyu. @Sigurd: if you wanna see a REALLY great series, look for it. In fact, you'll see that series was really influential on the modern anime thrillers.

the beginning of one piece is a little weird, but after they reach grand line the anime starts to getting better
Vampire princess miyu? i will seek it.. i picked up Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto , basilisk and berserk to see, i think they are all good animes, and im curious to see cowboy beepop, its good?

Berserk is one of my favourite series, sadly enough (and as you can see at the top of this page) the series is not over. It started aaaalll the way back in 1989, but it seems to be far from over. The anime is excellent; it covers around 6 volumes (maybe more) of the manga. The manga is now in volume 31, so you'll have to invest some time haha.

Gantz is great too, and the series is coming to an end so try to read/see it. (Again, the anime only covers like 6 volumes of the manga. Same like Berserk, but in 8 (?) years haha.)

Miyu is a classic, watch it.

And stop wasting your time on RUBBISH (understatement) like Naruto and One Piece. Recommendation from a true nerd/geek, believe me. Allfader said the same haha, so there you go. (We're both über geeks as you've probably noticed haha.)

Lone Wolf and Cub. Oh yes you should read that. And Ghost in the Shell.

Start with that, after those series you'll have a higher standard.

Berserk is one of my favourite series, sadly enough (and as you can see at the top of this page) the series is not over. It started aaaalll the way back in 1989, but it seems to be far from over. The anime is excellent; it covers around 6 volumes (maybe more) of the manga. The manga is now in volume 31, so you'll have to invest some time haha.

Gantz is great too, and the series is coming to an end so try to read/see it. (Again, the anime only covers like 6 volumes of the manga. Same like Berserk, but in 8 (?) years haha.)

Miyu is a classic, watch it.

And stop wasting your time on RUBBISH (understatement) like Naruto and One Piece. Recommendation from a true nerd/geek, believe me. Allfader said the same haha, so there you go. (We're both über geeks as you've probably noticed haha.)

Lone Wolf and Cub. Oh yes you should read that. And Ghost in the Shell.

Start with that, after those series you'll have a higher standard.

If i understood, the anime berserker don't cover the whole history? im in ep.5 right now and im enjoying :p i was reading a blog that i like and the guy wrote about some manga artist called junji ito, he writes some horror-brillant stories, and the guy from the blog wrote about a story called " The Enigma at Amigara Fault" you or allfader know about it?

Sigurd:

Bakumatsu is like C, D+ In my book. It's more or less like Samurai Shamploo. Check Shigurui for quality samurai anime, in manga Lone Wolf and Cub and Vagabond are the best IMO. Afro Samurai is quite decent too, if you wanna see something alternative. The Shishio arc from Rurouni Kenshin is excellent too. Ayakashi - samurai horror tales - are great too, but more into the Horror style.

You MUST see the killer trio composed by Perfect Blue, Paprika and Paranoia Agent.

Horror: First watch Miyu, then the rest. 3 x3 eyes, Pet Shop of Horrors... damn man I gotta go but I'll post more good shit later.

Sigurd:

Bakumatsu is like C, D+ In my book. It's more or less like Samurai Shamploo. Check Shigurui for quality samurai anime, in manga Lone Wolf and Cub and Vagabond are the best IMO. Afro Samurai is quite decent too, if you wanna see something alternative. The Shishio arc from Rurouni Kenshin is excellent too. Ayakashi - samurai horror tales - are great too, but more into the Horror style.

You MUST see the killer trio composed by Perfect Blue, Paprika and Paranoia Agent.

Horror: First watch Miyu, then the rest. 3 x3 eyes, Pet Shop of Horrors... damn man I gotta go but I'll post more good shit later.

thks! i will seek all of these indications and i will enjoy more indications :D

Sigurd:

The three Ps, that's how it should be called now! But I think everything by Kon is pure genius, I love all of them. And I did win a McFarlane Skull-ghost-zombie-whatever toy for yelling "Satoshi Kon" at a screening of Tokyo Godfathers :lol: .

I think Kenshin is good, but excellent as soon as…hmmm… Saitou (?), the wolf guy appears and until Shishio. After that it's rubbish.

Watching Ergo Proxy now, totally hooked.

Just finished all of Shigurui. Excellent manga, although IMO the anime is much better. Music plays such an important role in the latter that the manga pales by comparison, hence remaining in second place (for me, at least). It'd be excellent if the rest of the manga were made into an anime; I guess they can summarise it in another 12 chapters.

Thanks for the recommendation Allfader! :)

Just finished to see berserk..damn defiance..its so awesome :D the two last episodes are so macabre and great, its way better than these cg with computer effects animes nowadays, but i want to see the whole berserk series )':

EDIT: reading the manga right now, its even more awesome, damn you defiance! :lol: and a curious fact, most part of the elements in berserk reminds me cliver barker's hellbound heart the book from the hellraiser series.. behelit reminds me the lament configuration and one of the god's hands are like a cenobite :lol: i think its too much coincidences to be just coincidences

Sigurðr;9591325 said:
Just finished to see berserk..damn defiance..its so awesome :D the two last episodes are so macabre and great, its way better than these cg with computer effects animes nowadays, but i want to see the whole berserk series )':

EDIT: reading the manga right now, its even more awesome, damn you defiance! :lol: and a curious fact, most part of the elements in berserk reminds me cliver barker's hellbound heart the book from the hellraiser series.. behelit reminds me the lament configuration and one of the god's hands are like a cenobite :lol: i think its too much coincidences to be just coincidences

I thought I hadn't seen Hellraiser, but I think I've seen some parts; however, I don't really remember so I can't say anything about the similarities.

Yeah the manga is brilliant!!!! There's even more gore, violence and rapes than in the anime. Wait till you get to the final chapter of the anime, it's excellent (and yes, everything is explained).

Berserk is, indeed, better than most animes released in the last 12 years :p .

Do download the OST, the music was composed by none-other than Susumu Hirasawa himself. He's one of the best anime composer, a true virtuoso, so check him out!

I thought I hadn't seen Hellraiser, but I think I've seen some parts; however, I don't really remember so I can't say anything about the similarities.

Yeah the manga is brilliant!!!! There's even more gore, violence and rapes than in the anime. Wait till you get to the final chapter of the anime, it's excellent (and yes, everything is explained).

Berserk is, indeed, better than most animes released in the last 12 years :p .

Do download the OST, the music was composed by none-other than Susumu Hirasawa himself. He's one of the best anime composer, a true virtuoso, so check him out!

Hellraiser is something similar..you have an artefact that opens a portal to a dimension with bizarre and grotesque creatures with pleasure in molestation and torture, look this picture:
7471_std.jpg

ubik.jpg

quite similar isn't? :lol: i finished the anime but the final chapter make more doubts than answers for me..[spoilers] i know i will get the answers in the manga , its so awesome and different from the anime!:p:p thks for the indication! i will download the OST

EDIT: what i more enjoyed in the anime was the emotion with the characters, you feel a emotional link with all of them, and 98% of the anime is based in a normal world so you see all the characters going to the battle and war campaings and you start to feel more linked with them, you laugh with them and this kind of thing but in the final episodes when the story [spoilers] you see tough guys like pippin who was a hero in the battlefield start to feel scary and confused and after they all start [spoilers] and its kindda sad you know? the whole anime they dealed with people and [spoilers], dont know if you get my point

[No spoilers]

^ Yeah! Believe me, I totally get your point. I was in the dark about what the heck happened with the "Godo Hando" (God Hand). A hint: The answer is (kind of) in the first episode of the anime.

It's interesting because unless someone tells you, the only was you can understand it is, without doubt, by reading the manga because there are key things (by "things" I can mean anything) involved that do not appear even once in the anime.

And wow there's a lot of similarity with Hellraiser, at least from what I can see in the pic. Will download and see the movie.

[No spoilers]

^ Yeah! Believe me, I totally get your point. I was in the dark about what the heck happened with the "Godo Hando" (God Hand). A hint: The answer is (kind of) in the first episode of the anime.

It's interesting because unless someone tells you, the only was you can understand it is, without doubt, by reading the manga because there are key things (by "things" I can mean anything) involved that do not appear even once in the anime.

And wow there's a lot of similarity with Hellraiser, at least from what I can see in the pic. Will download and see the movie.

Oh sorry for the spoilers :zipit: I fixed my comment :p anyway im reading now and its great, and another thing, there is a topic that a friend showed to me with all the influences on berserker, a lots from h.r giger and hellraiser..if you want i can translate the post with the pictures

Sigurðr;9592444 said:
Oh sorry for the spoilers :zipit: I fixed my comment :p anyway im reading it now and its great, and another thing, there is a topic that a friend showed to me with all the influences on berserker, a lots from h.r giger and hellraiser..if you want i can translate the post with the pictures

Haha I wasn't referring to your post, it was in mine. Usually there's an "@" when you're talking to someone else, so you know.
I don't see how Berserk is similar to Giger, at all. I don't see any similarities. But feel free to post the links!

Haha I wasn't referring to your post, it was in mine. Usually there's an "@" when you're talking to someone else, so you know.
I don't see how Berserk is similar to Giger, at all. I don't see any similarities. But feel free to post the links!

you will see the similarities :p so okay let´s go:
I will put only the nicer similarities...

about the 5 demons:
There's a interview with Kentaro Miura and he said:
"I picked up elements from everywhere, from movies such as "Hellraiser" and "the name of the rose". From the movie hellraiser miura get the idea about the behelit wich is an artefact that opens a dimensional gate and evoke 4 demons or angels depends the point of view, like the lament configuration from the hellraiser.

The three helmets that griffith used in the serie was in the movie "Phantom of the Paradise" from brian de palma.
FIRST HELMET:
02.JPG

SECOND HELMET:
03.JPG

THIRD HELMET:
04.JPG

About UBIK and BUTTERBALL you saw the influence but heres another photo:
11.jpg

And here's the H.G Giger influences..in the creation of the CONRAD..it´s almost a copy from one of the babies in the LANDSCAPE XVIII:
13.jpg

These i think i dont need to explain :lol:
23.jpg

but VOID have another hellraiser influences in it:
14.JPG

15.jpg

Another H.G GIGER influence
17.jpg

And this is the 'Labirynth' the lair of the cenobites from hellraiser:
22.jpg

hope you enjoy the informations :)

Wow!!! Never would've imagined that!!! I certainly saw the Hellraiser similarities coming (judging from the first pic you posted, the influence seemed pretty obvious), but I never expected Giger ones! The one of the baby is certainly Giger-influenced, but I'm not so sure about the "woman". The labyrinth is more Escher than anything, I don't see the similarity with Hellraiser in that case.

Sigurðr;9591773 said:
Hellraiser is something similar..you have an artefact that opens a portal to a dimension with bizarre and grotesque creatures with pleasure in molestation and torture, look this picture:
7471_std.jpg

ubik.jpg

quite similar isn't? :lol: i finished the anime but the final chapter make more doubts than answers for me..[spoilers] i know i will get the answers in the manga , its so awesome and different from the anime!:p:p thks for the indication! i will download the OST

EDIT: what i more enjoyed in the anime was the emotion with the characters, you feel a emotional link with all of them, and 98% of the anime is based in a normal world so you see all the characters going to the battle and war campaings and you start to feel more linked with them, you laugh with them and this kind of thing but in the final episodes when the story [spoilers] you see tough guys like pippin who was a hero in the battlefield start to feel scary and confused and after they all start [spoilers] and its kindda sad you know? the whole anime they dealed with people and [spoilers], dont know if you get my point

They're called The Cenobites...

They belong to The Order of the Gash. The Cenobites practice, with a religious devotion, a supernatural form of hedonism, manifested through the expansion of sensation to an extremely painful point of sensory overload, and enduring excruciating pain through incessant tortures that transcend traditional laws of physics. Their leader is identified only as The Engineer, who in addition to overseeing the Order is also responsible for the transformation of individuals into Cenobites.