The "Getting Erik into more death metal" comp - tracklist revealed!

:kickass:

Zyklon rules. I need to hear a few of these bands still. Liturgy, Gorguts, Dies Irae, Aborted, Spawn of Possession. Need to pick up the Insision/Inveracity split as well, Insision fucking rules.

Oh, and anyone who doesn't like Blood Red Throne after hearing "The Children Shall Endure" is da homoness.

Papa Josh said:
This must explain my affinity for fudge

I agree. :loco:

I didn't know Blood Red Throne were hyped. I know about three people on all of UM who listen to them. Decent stuff with a few killers, but hardly shit and also hardly something worthy of glorius praise. That song I mentioned is awesome though.

What I do find hilarious though are people who think something needs to "push the envelope" and expand the genre to be worthy of their listen. If it's solid, it's good, whether its been done before or not.

I know that Erik probably won't like some of the most brutal stuff on this comp, but it's worth a try. Besides, I've tried picking the absolutely best of my favourite DM songs, featuring the coolest riffs, so we might be in for a surprise or two.

My predictions:

Erik will probably like Deeds Of Flesh (very epic track), Autopsy, Monstrosity (groovy, several cool solos, fast n' thrashy), Vader (ditto), Dies Irae, Defleshed (rather old-skool Swedish DM), Malevolent Creation, Aeternus, Morbid Angel, Incantation, Obituary, Suffocation, Immolation, Vomitory.

The Dying Fetus track is pretty old, and not very similar to their recent stuff. 'tis mid-paced, bone-crushing and groovy, so he MAY like it. There are also some quite technical and experimental stuff on there, and he may like some of that. He probably won't like stuff like Brodequin and Liturgy, but it's worth a try nonetheless.

The Prostitute Disfigurement song has got one of the coolest riffs in the history of music (as well as an ass-kicking solo-part), and it's also quite melodic and thrashy here and there. I hope that the sheer brutality and the guttural vocals won't be difficult for him to handle. There are very few tracks on this compilation that are "beautiful" or anything to that extent, but every single song has got KILLER RIFFS - that's what DM is about, in my opinion.

Edit: Blood Red Throne absolutely DESTROY. Awesome, riffgasmic band - shut up all haters! :p

Opeth17 said:
What I do find hilarious though are people who think something needs to "push the envelope" and expand the genre to be worthy of their listen. If it's solid, it's good, whether its been done before or not.
True, being good is good enough -- but that then becomes "quick fix" metal and before you know it, it's shelved & collecting dust. The originators always outlast the copycats, at least in credibility, that much is certain and proven over time.

As a musician, you should try your hardest to be unique, and as a listener, you should demand originality. Nothing wrong with guilty pleasures, but 'we' shouldn't allow things to stagnate.

JayKeeley said:
True, being good is good enough -- but that then becomes "quick fix" metal and before you know it, it's shelved & collecting dust. The originators always outlast the copycats, at least in credibility, that much is certain and proven over time.

As a musician, you should try your hardest to be unique, and as a listener, you should demand originality. Nothing wrong with guilty pleasures, but 'we' shouldn't allow things to stagnate.

If the originators came out after the copycats, they would simply change roles, nothing about the music would be affected. I agree that musicians should try to be unique and not simply set out to be a clone, but because someone did it first, doesn't mean they did it best. When something is good, solid music, I don't find it to be a quick fix or anything besides good, solid music, regardless. I listen to Behemoth and Zyklon a lot more than Possessed and Morbid Angel, even if they were doing something similar a long time beforehand.

Opeth17 said:
If the originators came out after the copycats, they would simply change roles, nothing about the music would be affected.
Well, it's not that simple. The artist that created a sound has to be talented / gifted enough to invent it -- anyonecan copy. And when you copy, you lose emotion in the playing.

Here's my take:

From a songwriting perspective, I assume that when you're in the process of creating something for the first time, a huge amount of emotion gets laid down in the playing style, almost as if the musician instinctively knows they're on to something quite magnificient....and that emotion definitely flows through to the listener, namely me.

If you're simply copying someone else's style, it's impossible to recreate that same level of emotion. It therefore becomes 'scripted' or derivative, and although all the elements seem to be in their right place, there is 'something' missing from the end result. It's a good guilty pleasure, a 'quick fix' if you will. These are the albums that eventually end up in my trade lists -- they served a purpose, but now I need some space.

I listen to Behemoth and Zyklon a lot more than Possessed and Morbid Angel, even if they were doing something similar a long time beforehand.
Absolutely - but I'm not talking about current listening tastes, I'm talking about long term credibility. Like I said, everyone loves the guilty pleasures.

Disclaimer: Behemoth have paid their dues, but Zyklon and Blood Red Throne? Meh. It's all "paint by numbers" metal to me. That music might as well have been created by a computer.

And I quote Chasing Amy....

Comic Collector: You fucking tracer!
Banky Edwards: Your mother's a tracer.

Copycats killed melodeath, but some ripoff bands still kick my dick in. It all depends how saturated I am with the genre, and exactly how kickass the band is.

Is Zyklon an Emperor side-project band? I've wanted to check those dudes out for some time, but if that's the case, nevermind.

METAL ARCHIVES IS YOUR FRIEND

Zamoth (aka Samoth) (Tomas Thormodsæter Haugen) : Guitars (Emperor, Zyklon-B, ex-Arcturus, ex-Satyricon, ex-Gorgoroth, ex-Thou Shalt Suffer, Embryonic, Burzum, Ildjarn)
Trym Torson (Kai Johnny Mosaker) : Drums (Emperor, Tartaros (Nor), ex-Enslaved, ex-Imperium (Nor), Shadow Season)
Destructhor (Thor Anders Myhren) : Guitars (Myrkskog)
Sechtdamon (Odd Tony) : Vocals, bass (Myrkskog, Odium (Nor))

Vocals on the first album:

Daemon (Vidar Jensen) (Limbonic Art, Sarcoma Inc.)

Zyklon's alright. The debut had some good songs, but the Aeon was a major disappointment. It's really nothing you haven't heard if you have Morbid Angel and/or Myrkskog.

I bought World of Worms after having heard the opening track Hammer Revelation which is insanely good, but was pretty disappointed with the rest of the album. Decent but pretty repetitive after a couple of songs.

Henrik Main said:
Hehehehee, I like most of the mix, I just think he won't. I saw Deeds of Flesh, they were pretty cool, I went to all the unique leader shows for that matter.

P.S When you live in OTtawa every 5 seconds you hear CRYPTOPSY!!! (even though they are quebecer).
GO EXCITER!