The Grand Conjuration video

That clip isn't really my cup of tea. I really like the shots of the band playing, but that's a given... the story parts just don't mould with the song though, in my opinion. I don't know, it just sort of reminds me of a lot of those generic videos that are about.. in particular an older Skinlab one I saw. I don't really associate Opeth with imagery like that, so in my mind the music and pictures just don't click.

Having said that... the solo section and the riff after it which show only the band playing... *thumbs up*. I think what would be really cool for a future clip is to have one or all of the band members be part of whatever little story concept there is, and work their music parts into that, like as Mike walks down the street he walks by a desolate, homeless Peter jamming on a broken acoustic coincidentally playing the same part as the song etc. etc.

Moonlapse said:
Having said that... the solo section and the riff after it which show only the band playing... *thumbs up*. I think what would be really cool for a future clip is to have one or all of the band members be part of whatever little story concept there is, and work their music parts into that, like as Mike walks down the street he walks by a desolate, homeless Peter jamming on a broken acoustic coincidentally playing the same part as the song etc. etc.

Why the hell couldn't YOU have made the video?

Dhalaren said:
Mikael said himself though that he didn't have much say in the production of the video.
thats what i suspected... the band shots were pretty well done, but a different backdrop would have been nicer, and the "story" footage could easily have been forests, candles, witches...

The video was okay compared to other music videos out there, but it didn't really feel like Opeth. I can't stand how they cut the song up. It's not Opeth anymore.

burton said:
What's everyone's thoughts on it? I mean, I think it's good, but it seems like it doesn't have anything to do with the song, just a bunch of random stuff happening. So yeah.... Discuss it here. (First tread after the reopening (not counting MetalAges' one), woo!)

Link to this video please...

I don't like the video personally; it isn't really coherent with the song, and the fact that the song was cut in half was pretty annoying too, however, I see why it was done. Roadrunner is going to probably have the guys do lame promotional stuff like this, but really it doesn't bother me: as long as the music is 100% Opeth and uncompromised it's all good.

Oh yeah, I also meant to say the song The Grand Conjuration is fucking awesome. When I first heard it, I thought it kind of sucked compared to most other Opeth songs. I had a copy on my computer and the quality wasn't the greatest. But after getting the album and listening to it more and in better quality, I have to say it's a damn good song. It seems to me like the center of Ghost Reveries, like the rest of the album revolves around this song. It's definitely the eevelest song by Opeth, and it's very atmospheric. The fact that they repeat the main riff so many times doesn't bother me anymore. And what a great riff it is. It's got a similar feel to the last riff on Closure. I don't know how Mikael writes riffs like this, I wish I could do it.

1) I like the edit about as much as the album one. While it's missing some stuff, it keeps almost everything I like about it and removes everything I dislike (which is 300,000 repeats for the last few minutes that are a chore to listen to half the time).

2) The video at least looks professional. The performance stuff is pretty slick imo, and I like being able to see what he's playing through the entire solo. Nice job there.

3) At least the girl rolling around in bed for no apparent reason has incredibly good legs.

4) At least Zorro is hilarious.

I enjoy watching the girl in bed teasing with crotch-shots, but the gay guy in the bondage outfit singing the death growls has scarred me for life.

I get the concept and all.... it's fairly interesting. I think they might have tried to be a bit too clever though.

Not bad and the song edit came out better than I thought it might.

Zlatan_Ibrahimovic said:
I get the concept and all.... it's fairly interesting. I think they might have tried to be a bit too clever though.

Wait.... There's a concept? Explain! (Seriously, I didn't get it at all.)

burton said:
Wait.... There's a concept? Explain! (Seriously, I didn't get it at all.)

It appears to be about a girl who was molested by her father or some other male adult figure in her life and she's mentally screwed up over it and the father-figure guy is tortured by guilt (which manifests itself in the form of a kinky bondage guy in a Zorro costume).

Good serious -Dark- concept, but the zorro guy just cheeses it up a little.

Ahh, okay, I think I get it now. I thought it was two seperate things going on though, and the only connection were the pictures that Zorro was showing that old guy. I felt sorry for him at the end. Has to be in this mediocre video and then he has to be covered in gas. :/