The Grand Conjuration video

This video sucks HARD, and that's the first time I've ever said anything Opeth has done sucks. But yeah I realize they didn't really have any say in it, so it doesn't matter. The idea of Opeth and videos doesn't really appeal to me anyway. I'd rather envision my own images. The editing was fucking ridiculous though, especially the fact that when Mikael growls "The Grand Conjuration" he ends up only saying, "Conjuration." Lame. That's one of the best parts of the song, and cutting it up fails just like anyone over 60 trying to have sex.

Of course that´d be cool Moonie, but the thing is music vids, costs a shit load of money, and I can Imagine a music vid like that would be quite expensive.

Zlatan_Ibrahimovic said:
It appears to be about a girl who was molested by her father or some other male adult figure in her life and she's mentally screwed up over it and the father-figure guy is tortured by guilt (which manifests itself in the form of a kinky bondage guy in a Zorro costume).

Good serious -Dark- concept, but the zorro guy just cheeses it up a little.

Are you sure? What's the idea behind the woman taking a dive in the toilet? Burning paedophiles/rapists alive sounds medievally fun though :)

Anyway: This video just doesn't fit Opeth, nor the song in particular. In fact: I think Michael answered with "we haven't seen the video yet" because he didn't really want to answer that question about it :)

The video is a disgrace, but like mentionned before here: it's the music that counts and RRR will never ruin the reputation of Opeth whatsoever, how much they even tried with the video :) As long Opeth make their own music and don't give a rat's ass about external criticism during the recording, by RRR for instance, they're on the right track and they'll remain on the right track. I'm 100% sure of that. I mean RRR should realise that they got there where they are now by doing their own thing, right?

The video sucked......

The song is so good, they should have played on the story that it tells and had the band members play a part or two no matter how small.

The video made no sence at all. I would have prefered to see the opeth guys just walking around Sweden. i think that may have been more relivant.

There should have been more show of the band.

I think i can honestly say that me, Moonlapse and a few other mates have made better media productions back in high school media.

AND i also propose that little melinda play a part in the next clip.

Maybe they could stick her on mini instruments CGI it and she could be the whole band.

But seriously..... Mike direct the next video!

I agree with everyone. The video sucks, and clipping the song like that is a crime against humanity.
I also agree with the fact that it's the music that counts, and TGC is a great song, Ghost Reveries is the best album (at least) this year, the best Opeth album and that Opeth is still my favourite band.

Well, there isn't much that hasn't been said.. the video doesn't have anything to do with the song, the editing is dumb (cutting out the "The hands of Satan" part is *so* MTV!), and uh, the bondage guy is scary.

And I know having a hot chick in every music video is a must, but I don't think it suits Opeth too well :/

It shoulda been just them playing in an old church or something, and in the end the church is on fire. Oh well.

Its as if Roadrunner was making a video tailored to Opeth but then they lost it so they replaced it with a generic metalcore/nu-metal video from their archives.

Midwinter_melancholY said:
Are you sure? What's the idea behind the woman taking a dive in the toilet? Burning paedophiles/rapists alive sounds medievally fun though :)

See the snake has a double meaning. Its black. So therefore its not only evil, but it will beget a child on the girl and then not pay child support. The toilet symbolizes how dirty this makes the girl feel.

^^that's about as plausible as anything else...
yeah, the vid blows.
i like that there are rats in it, of course.
but somehow, i am not sure that's what i am supposed to notice.
the girl in the bathroom with the snakes and toilet was pretty much the last straw for me.
i'd just laugh at it, but it's Opeth.
*sigh*
well, everyone's gotta make a buck, right?
*feels cynical and dirty, goes to dive into toilet*

but Metallica's music and videos suck these days.
pretty much everything after "Load"(except S&M) sucks.
I miss the classic Metallica.

True. And I'm glad you said after Load, because although Load was nowhere as cool as their other albums, it wasn't bad for what it was. And there is one really good song that is just as good as their old stuff, but I forgot the name of it. Oh, and I think Garage, Inc. was cool too. But St. Anger is the biggest joke ever.

Why couldnt they have stuck the the album as inspiration for the video? You have a Satanic invocation then a possesion, a call to arms to the assembled flock, promises of his kingdom to come... heck it would have been so cool!

Even if they didnt stay true to the lyrics they could have at least stuck to the visual theme of the album art. There may not be reems of it but its damn cool. Everyone knows Opeth is all about candles and old houses and cobwebed paintings, I mean look at the front cover!!!. The whole video is totally wrong :(

Korona said:
Why couldnt they have stuck the the album as inspiration for the video? You have a Satanic invocation then a possesion, a call to arms to the assembled flock, promises of his kingdom to come... heck it would have been so cool!

Even if they didnt stay true to the lyrics they could have at least stuck to the visual theme of the album art. There may not be reems of it but its damn cool. Everyone knows Opeth is all about candles and old houses and cobwebed paintings, I mean look at the front cover!!!. The whole video is totally wrong :(
And don't forget forests!

Well, the video was shite, the solo part was pretty sweet, but zorro mouthing the lyrics, that made me cringe, some brief stocking showage was appreciated...until she decides to climb into a toilet (as you do). They shouldn't have restricted the video to a studio, should have let the guys play in a big field in the middle of a storm (fake or not) with some little midgets dressed up as goblins running around setting fires. What fucked me off the most though was the song chopping, you can tell where all the edits are gonna be made, but they make the song sound like shit, yet still fucking miles better than all the 'metalcore' shit thats doing the rounds at the moment.

i wanted to laugh...then i wanted to cry. It's absolute crap. It was all over the place, they chopped up the song..terrible. Opeth shouldn't make videos. Their music speaks for itself.