The Greater Vocalist Vs. Vocalist Poll!

Who is THE ultimate screamin demon of Heavy Metal?

• Rob Halford

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • Bruce Dickinson

Votes: 62 66.0%

• Total voters
Never cared much for Dickinson's vocals, it's the main reason why I don't listen to Maiden much even though I love their music. Halford wins this extremely limited poll.

I agree with Zod though, Geoff Tate stands above, especially on the early Queensryche albums. Coincidentally I am listening to Rage for Order right now and Tate still SLAYS me to this day.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I agree with Zod though, Geoff Tate stands above, especially on the early Queensryche albums. Coincidentally I am listening to Rage for Order right now and Tate still SLAYS me to this day.

Tate's got a great voice, but he just doesn't cut it as the best frontman.

Bruce Dickenson is the better singer technically, but I think Halford is more metal, so I picked him. :loco:

Painkiller was one of my earlier metal albums, and I was kind of disappointed after hearing some of their live material, I don't think he's all that good. But he's very metal.

Yippee38 said:
Tate's got a great voice, but he just doesn't cut it as the best frontman.
Did you see them live in their prime? Tate is one of the most active, dramatic frontmen around. He's not more energetic than Dickinson (who is?) but certianly moreso than Halford (and by a mile).

Zod

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Preach on...

Vocals on "Rage for Order" >>>>>>> anything Dickinson or Halford has ever done

Zod

Bruce is a fabulous singer. My brother knows him (from the aviation side rather than the rock side) and I should be getting a signed copy of a CD for Xmas. How amazing is that?!:D

As great as ("Rage For Order") Tate was in his prime, there is none better then the Kahn man himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!Roy is the man!!!!!!!!:hotjump:
(would be considered a write in vote?)

Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, Geoff Tate, Roy KAAAAHN!!!...they're all great vocally and performance-wise for different reasons (who here isn't a fan of theirs?), but I'm going to have to use a write in vote here:

Sir Russell Allen!

Sure the other guys, that I mentioned, may do more performance-wise, but he's such an amazing singer, I'll take his vox over any other metal singer!

Halford has more range than either Dickinson or Tate. The latter two are always associated with high pitched singing, largely because they sing that way all the time. Tate got that reputation because of his performances from Queen Of The Ryche to Rage For Order, but his voice has definately deteriorated over the years. Dickinson can still hit some high notes but his voice has mellowed over the years.
Halford can go much lower than either of them, and because he doesn't sing high all the time it's often overlooked that when he goes high he can get higher than either of them.
Ripper Owens almost shattered my ear drums on Priest's Jugulator and Demolition Tours. I'd put him in contention in a wider poll.

The best "frontman" I have ever seen in my life is amazing, but I wont spill his name because I don't want his head to explode. Urban doesn't need to know that information. The best "vocalist" is probably Ronnie. Geoff Tate runs a close second and Udo isn't way behind.

Bryant

General Zod said:
Did you see them live in their prime? Tate is one of the most active, dramatic frontmen around. He's not more energetic than Dickinson (who is?) but certianly moreso than Halford (and by a mile).

Zod

Yup. I saw Queensryche on Rage for Order, Mindcrime, Empires (in Madison, where they recorded part of LiveCrime), Promised Land, and Hear in the Now Frontier. He's good, but when he's not doing MindCrime, he's not that energetic on stage.

Have you seen Halford in his prime?

BTW, if we're doing write-ins, my vote would have to go to Sammy Hagar. He might not be so metal now, but he was before the VH days. He may not be the best singer of the group, but he definately is the best frontman I've ever seen (every time I've seen him).

I personally prefer Dickinson, as his voice is suited for more diverse material. Am I the only one who thinks that Halford is rather flat on his ballads? Halford definitely hits the extreme highs and the extreme lows better than Dickinson, but his voice is best suited only for the heavy hitters. Dickinson is a bit younger, however, so only time will tell if he'll still be able to pull it off like Halford can. Then again, Dickinson is a freakin' ball of energy on stage. He shows no signs of slowing down.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al