The Guide To All Ranges Of Screaming

black7tongue

New Metal Member
Feb 5, 2006
Now I'm not in a band or anything (yet (I want one)), but I have learned what it takes to do these kinds of vocals. I'm not sure how long this will take you, but I'm pretty sure this is how to do it.

First I will adress the question of whether or not you need to ruin your voice to sound good. The answer: No you don't have to, but if you do this the wrong way you very well might. It's not about breaking down you're voice, it's about excercising it, and waking up what you already have.

There are three PRIMARY classes of metal vocals: The death growl, the throat scream, and the throatless scream. I will address each, because I can do all three. Even if you are not going to use all three I think the range is useful, and might even help your main vocals.

You might want to start with the death growl, even if you're not going to use it. This guide is built to be read start to finish. And remember you don't have to take my word on any of it. This is not to be construed as advice, it's simply what worked for me.

The Death Growl

I don't care who the fuck you are, you can do this one. It MAY be painful, but don't give up.

Find music, preferably with deep vocals (i.e. Opeth), and words you know, and listen to it.

Go as deep as you can in you're throat, release noise. Try to match the depth of the artist. Repeat this. Once your throat feels warmed up, sing along in that voice. Do not lose the depth. Your throat should feel like it's on fire. That's fine. Keep going. You're not gonna hurt yourself. Once you start tasting phlegm, the fun has started. Keep going. Once your voice starts losing depth, you know you're doing the right thing. Use your good judgement on when to stop. Don't lose your talking voice.

Wait a day or two, and repeat, pushing yourself further each time. Jaw muscle is a factor.

Once you can go on for a long ass time, and basically not hurt your speaking voice, you have your death growl.

There's something called a benchmark. What it means is you'll keep getting better, but slower and slower til you're pretty much the best you can be. I think you hit it quickest with the death growl. I hit mine.

Technique:

Try not to strain your jaw too much. Think loose. Widen your jaw for that raspiness, and center it for a deeper sound. To sound dramatic, start with your jaw normal, then widen it as you finish the lyric, and loosen slowly, holding out the note.

The Throat Scream

This might be hard. I wouldn't be suprised if it takes you a while to find it.

Don't scream, use you're throat, and let out loud noise.

If you get a raspy, harsh sounding scream (even a crappy one), you've just performed the throat scream. Now take some music you know the words to, and sing along.
Don't push too hard; you simply don't have to. Also, don't take big ass breaths, cus that makes you're body naturally release alot of air at once. When you take breaths, make sure you don't stiffen you're shoulders. Before a long note, it might help to breath through the nose. Refer to the death growl section for advice on how hard to push, when to stop/repeat, etc. This one just keeps getting thicker for me. But the progress has gotten much slower. You'll eventually hit you're benchmark, but it takes a while. I haven't hit it yet.

Technique:

The scream is different for each person. Just play around and you'll figure it out.

The Throatless Scream

This one is just the voice you would use to scream for help with, and definately the hardest, requiring stong vocal muscles. Are you ready to sweat? This is a good way to lose weight. Scream for a while, and finally try to reduce the scream to the lowest volume you can, while still doing the same thing with your vocal cords/mouth. Now hit the music and fucking scream that lowest, jaw-ey-est scream you can, and sing along. You won't make much noise, but make sure you are actually screaming. The reason you're not actually screaming is cus you will ruin your voice. You will eventually awaken the proper muscles. I don't know when. After a while of screaming like that, let loose the full scream. No change? Then keep doing it. You should be sweating buckets at the end of the session. Repeat this after a day or two, keeping the screaming restrained. At the end of the session try the full scream again. You will eventually realize what you have done. This doesn't mean you should scream the highest pitch just cus you can. It sounds better when you use the jaw more. I just recently opened this scream up. It willl keep improving til I hit my benchmark.

Technique:

Don't go the highest pitch just cus you can. Stay in you're range, where it feels right.

Conclusion:

Those artists who scream hour-long sets every night can do it cus they practiced like fuck. Keep practicing, but don't be in a rush to be perfect. You gotta love to scream to do this. I do it cus it feels fucking good. It takes alot of practice to be what you want to be, and if you're not enjoying it, stop. You have to love what you do.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check with your doctor first, to make sure you don't fuck up your vocal cords. Especially if you smoke.

Good luck,

I have a few things to add:

1st, the throatless screaming excersises also help strengthen you're singing voice.

2nd, I just discovered the inhale screem. It rocks I'm working on mine now.

The practising thing is true. It's good if you're starting out to just practise singing along to some cd that you know and enjoy, and nothing too hard - something in your range. I did that for ages before I started in a band.

Ok my throat scream just got so deep it's unusable and sounds horrible. I guess that's just what happens when you use it for a while. Now I sound like lamb of god, from autumn to ashes, or bleeding through. They use the throat scream and it sounds deep as shit. Mine is deep but I don't like it. It seems to also have affected my growl, but I can't complain. It seems to me the only true way to 'scream' is to ignore the throat completely.

And reffering to my section about the throatless scream, that's just to get you're voice beefed up. Then you scream at full volume, you're natural range, til you're voice irons out. It really has ALOT to do with technique. My scream sounds like underoath, but not as wicked (yet?). I don't know. Anyone add more advice.

And don't hate me but I love Atreyu (I think they're heavy as fuck so stfu) and I can't seem to figure out how he does the scream he does on their debut album. The Curse sucks except for 'The Crimson' (my favorite song ever).

Any tips on how to sound like him? (even though they're hardcore punk)

black7tongue said:
Ok my throat scream just got so deep it's unusable and sounds horrible. I guess that's just what happens when you use it for a while. Now I sound like lamb of god, from autumn to ashes, or bleeding through. They use the throat scream and it sounds deep as shit. Mine is deep but I don't like it. It seems to also have affected my growl, but I can't complain. It seems to me the only true way to 'scream' is to ignore the throat completely. QUOTE]

I think I finally broke it in. I'm just gonna rest it and see how I sound after that.

I'm very undecided on how I want to sound right now so I'm gonna shut the fuck up. I will never sound like Atreyu.

what kind of singing does alexi laiho and how would i best achevie this and is there a massive secret coz i can only sing like him when i whisper but when i try and make it louder with my voice it jus wont let me ?

This is great! Ive been a vocalist for 9 years and I cant growl fer shit. Ive taken the Mille Petrozza (early Kreator) route and that works for me. Good German Screaming! Im not even sure which scream that is. As far as that Inhale Scream, you can have that, it hurts.

Also Remember, a microphone and a good PA help your screams a ton. You dont have to push so hard to get the effect you want. If youre playing in front of a crowd, youre gonna have some power on the other end of that mike that helps you out. All of the singers you see live also have reverb on the vocals which makes them sound bigger and fatter. David Vincent uses an Eventide processor on his, he sounds like GOD, (or Satan). After 9 years, it hasnt done any voice damage, but dont talk to me for thirty minutes after the show. It will be a little raspy for a while after the show.

Hi black7tongue,

This is really useful guide for Death vocal.
And I would like to know with Band Example.
You post in The Death Growl - Opeth (I think, it's like Cannibal Corpse, Kataklysm..etc.., Right ? )
And plz let me know other 2 styles with Band examples.

thanks for the feedback. I didn't know synths were used so heavily today.

Asainmetalhead:

Yes, Opeth uses the same kind of growl as those bands.
The Agony Scene uses throat, as well as The Bled, Arch Enemy, Bleeding Through, From Autumn To Ashes, and Lamb Of God.
Underoath, The Used, Senses Fail, and the Blood Brothers use no throat.

Don't fuck up your throat. Growling purely through your throat is probably the most retarded way (although it may sound great) to grunt, it can result in SERIOUS damage. This is one of the reasons why Dan Swanö ceased to do grunts on the later Edge of Sanity records; he saidthe grunting fucked up his throat and now he can only do it occasionally since it really hurts.
Sing from your gut, from your abdomen. This is pretty much the same as in regular singing. The distorted sound should come from your diaphragm, not from throat.
This requires much practice, and will create a sixpack :p
Seriously though, what you need to do is breathe from your belly, making it round as you inhale and press the air out from there if you would like to be able to talk properly in 15 years. This type of grunting also makes it possible to articulate more properly than throat grunts.
And sing along to Bloodbath, Morbid Angel, Grave and stuff like that while riding a bike. It works for me, great practice.

I think this needs a bump. I don't really know what I am doing wrong when I scream. I am trying to di it along the lines of Jari Maenpaa of Wintersun...if that helps. It is sort of like a black metal scream, but just a bit lower. He was also the vocalist for Ensiferum, they are a bit more popular.

Whenever I do it, I can do it fine, but it's just not loud, and I don't think I am doing it correctly. Whenever I try to do it loud, and I put tons of effort into it, then it just a faded whisper and nothing really comes out.

Help please?

dude...the death metal scream is supposed to hurt...wow...i guess something is just wrong with me cause the only way it has ever hurt...is when i do it for hours......

I don't think I understand... Many have said it's best to sing from your diaphragm, but I don't see how that's actually possible without having vocal chords in your stomach. When I've tried it I've only come out with the sound of flowing air.

wildchildalexi said:
what kind of singing does alexi laiho and how would i best achevie this and is there a massive secret coz i can only sing like him when i whisper but when i try and make it louder with my voice it jus wont let me ?

does anybody know the answer to this question? i have the same deal as him, i can sing like him when i whisper- and it sounds exactly like him. but i dont know how to amplify it. if anybody could help us out it would be greatly appreciated.:headbang:

Skyld said:
I don't think I understand... Many have said it's best to sing from your diaphragm, but I don't see how that's actually possible without having vocal chords in your stomach. When I've tried it I've only come out with the sound of flowing air.

To sing from your diaphragm: (what I have learnt from experience)

Start singing and pull your gut up and in like you are really fat and sucking it in to look skinnier. Pull the muscle up that sits right it the middle of your chest, under where you ribs finish (in the middle) Try and use it to push out your words and expand your whole chest/abdomen area to create a deeper, meaner growl. Trust me it works, I'm 16 and a girl so...yeah it works just keep on trying.

COBHCShredder said:
does anybody know the answer to this question? i have the same deal as him, i can sing like him when i whisper- and it sounds exactly like him. but i dont know how to amplify it. if anybody could help us out it would be greatly appreciated.

I need help with this as well, so far I can create a loud sound but doesnt last too long....it's really frustrating.

im a expert at all growling. death metal growl, black metal growl , viking growl , and mastodon growl.