The Guide To All Ranges Of Screaming

"Those artists who scream hour-long sets every night can do it cus they practiced like fuck."

I'd add that those artists have also managed to smother the pain ;)
Screaming is never good for the vocal chords so checking with a doctor is just a measure to see whether you will screw it up right away or give a few years.
Anyway, I can only do the death growl and those, if you ask me, quite annoying sort of powermetally high pitch notes :p And they get raspy sometimes.

Skyld said:
I don't think I understand... Many have said it's best to sing from your diaphragm, but I don't see how that's actually possible without having vocal chords in your stomach. When I've tried it I've only come out with the sound of flowing air.

People have answered this already. But what I was told before starting singing was that usually when you breathe with your nose, the breat is deeper and fills the lower parts of your lungs better. That's a 'deep' breath as opposed to the quick ones you usually do with your mouth. So the idea is to learn how to take deeper breaths, this comes naturally to some people as this is simply how they breathe and to some it's a new technique.
With deep breaths your gut lifts (often misunderstood as taking air in to your gut)..

The idea is then to use your diaphragm to gently push air through the vocal chords.
Singing without proper technique is a killer and this is pretty much the most important aspect of it. So make sure you get a hang of it before going into anything complex.

Lord of the Storms, isn't Melissa Cross that extreme vocals instructor off MTV or something? Its funny how she says its not sposed to hurt when she killed a couple of her vocal chords on TV or somewhere public.

Mr Genvin said:
Lord of the Storms, isn't Melissa Cross that extreme vocals instructor off MTV or something? Its funny how she says its not sposed to hurt when she killed a couple of her vocal chords on TV or somewhere public.

maybe thats how she found out that its not supposed to hurt:lol:

LordoftheStorms said:
Watch the Zen of Screaming by Melissa Cross.

I mean hell, it's NOT supposed to hurt to growl.

I bought that and watched it and seriously I didn't learn much. I may be missing something, but I dunno. It didn't help.

There was only like one chapter that she actually went over screaming, right? All the rest was breathing and exercises.

Please correct me if I missed something though. I'll watch it again.

Deliverance666 said:
I bought that and watched it and seriously I didn't learn much. I may be missing something, but I dunno. It didn't help.

There was only like one chapter that she actually went over screaming, right? All the rest was breathing and exercises.

To be honest, I feel the same way about that DVD....this is not a substitute for an actual vocal instructor in any shape or form, at best this would be a supplement to watch while taking vocal lessons. I too sat there wondering if I was doing these exercises correctly. Obviously, there is no student-teacher interaction and that is a large part of any learning process, after all the DVD starts with a disclaimer distancing it from the mistakes you may make.

The author explained how you can get one or another type of vocal sound but he didn't give his own vocal examples!?!?

black7tongue: Could you record all classes of vocal you told about and take out to download, please.

If your growling the right way should it be the top of your throat, almost like the back or your toung that hurts? Like the area neer where the top of your toung connects with the back of our mouth?

Flee said:
If your growling the right way should it be the top of your throat, almost like the back or your toung that hurts? Like the area neer where the top of your toung connects with the back of our mouth?

NO! it should NOT hurt!

Hexer said:
NO! it should NOT hurt!

It might cause a bit of a cough though.

Iv'e been grawling and doing throat screams for years guys. at first you're jaw and stomach muscles will hurt and may give up on you too. just take a deep breath in, hold you're toung back low in you're throat, and release it using you're stomach muscles (one might add to do it as if you are gragling).

You should get a deep death growl(Sorta like CC) right here. soon slaiva will come up you're throat and you will get more and more on fire. stop before you lose you're voice.

Note that at the first few trys and it all depends on you're natural talent int his you're throat will tickle and you might even get a light cough and most of all you will tire out quite fast unless in top shape. just keep on practecing.

To get a thorat scream do about the same execpt insted of taking a deep breath in take a normal breath THROUGH you're nose as you feel need and stick you're tough up and forword in you're mouth, even stick you're toung out alittle and let it rip.

Note that this will not only cause alittle bit of pain at first in you're thoat but if not in shape will make you swet like a bitch a you will most likely have pain in you're jaw and chest muscles. work out!

Once you can preform both without any pain and go on for hours, forum you're new Death Metal band!

Hope i helped you guys.

I'll be happy to answer any questions of course.

I've been trying to growl for a while now, and it's sounds great when my throat is all slimy and such (like after eating a pizza or drinking a glass of milk) but how can I sustain that fattened state of my throat? any ideas?

thanks for the help, my growl still doesnt sound to good, but I've only been doing it for around a month so thats to be expected :)

I can death growl with no problems, it came easy to me but I can't do the rapsy scream well but when I do it I can hear the spit in my throat like a gargle sound when I do it. So now all I do is growl to all records, even black metal ones.:)

meh, idk much about screaming, i can't really do much at 13:lol: only reason i wanted to quote you because The Wheel of Time series fucking rocks! i'm on book 9, keep reading man, i'm so hooked!

Thanks for this screaming lesson!
I find screaming along to DevilDriver the most fun.

"Once you start tasting phlegm, the fun has started."
hahahaha. so true man.

ive been screaming for only about 2 weeks, but i can do all of the above listed vocals (except maybe the throatless one) with ease and with no pain. any idea why i could pick it up so easily? i know im not doing it wrong, i already found a good band and they say it sounds great, im just a bit curious...

btw any1 know petri lindroos from norther/ensiferum? what type of scream would his be under? and how the hell do i get it to be anywhere like that... lol