The guitarists here...

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Hi

I'm thinking of making the potentially embarrassing decision to buy a brand-spanking new guitar and teaching myself to play it. Embarrassing, because I've never been much good at playing the guitar in the past (I'm poop-house, as a small child might say), and also because I just sold a rusty old six-string recently.
But I want to be able to play an instrument other than the recorder, damn it, and guitars are cool (and less noisy than drums, so the neighbours won't complain).

So, a question to the guitarists here: should I bother? If so, what's the best way to learn - take lessons, learn from tab books, or just start jamming away until something clicks and I'm a genuine virtuoso?

Answers on a postcard or, if you prefer, here on the forum.

Thanks

I learnt by watching videos and by playing along to CD's. But I guess I had a musical background because before picking up the guitar I played the recorder, clarinet and piano at school.

If you can sort of do the basics of picking and playing simple chords then I'd just get a guitar, get some tab and sit down and learn by example by playing along to the CD.

Whatever method you choose though, the single most important factor to the rate at which you'll improve is PRACTICE.

I was pretty good at the recorder at school! One of Cessnock Primary's best, if I do say so myself :)

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who has to see results immediately, but I'm sure that if I get out of that mindset then things progress a bit better.

I am probably the most musically untalented person here,so if anyone knows what it's like to suck,it's me. I even sucked on recorder,I was the kid who whenever everyone started to sound good and a get a tune down,would make that squeling sound, so they'd have to start again.

You were supposed to BLOW on the recorder, not suck! :)

I want to be able to play guitar like John Petrucci in about a week, but that's not likely. Maybe I should find the worst guitarist around and aim for that for starters.

Who's an awful guitarist that actually has a career?

I recommend a good (read: metal / rock) teacher to show you the basics at least, then grab some good instructional videos like Vinnie Moore's excellent ones...

After that, I recommend downloading some audio recording software (nTrack Studio maybe) or buying a 4-track and just recording yourself playing along to a drum beat or a metronome or something. Believe me, the more you do that, the quicker and better you will improve!

Then jam with other guys - doesn't matter if you're shit, maybe they are too, but you learn from each other! :)

Get one! Then get the guitar tab to songs off silverchairs Freakshow album. They are rocking, and easy as f**k to play, just get someone to put it in drop D and you will be rocking out as soon as possible :)
I know lots of easy songs to play, so just ask if you need another one :D

Nah not Silverchair, don't encourage him to get used to playing in drop D!!! Drop D is gay!!!!

Start with some Kiss, AC/DC, '80s Metallica, Motley Crue, etc. Easy stuff to get started on, and fun too :)

Drop D is great, just because its easy doesnt mean it sucks! :)

Metallica isnt easy! Not for a beginner anyway, maybe once he has been playing for a few months :)

Songs from the Black album are easy though! And songs like For Whom The Bell Tolls and Seek & Destroy also.

And Drop D sucks! You shouldn't start learning with that, it will get your fingers into bad habits! Play real chords!

Well I disagree there, its easier to learn there and progress to power chords by just adding another finger, at least it gets you going and encourages you to play more! :headbang:

Besides, we all know the only reason you dont like drop d is because its not glam enough ;)

But there are hardly any good songs in Drop D though to learn anyway!!!! Unless you are a Pantera freak or something, or love the new Slayer albums.

Slayers new albums rule glam boy :mad: ;)

We Die Young by AIC!
Anything off Chemical Wedding by Brucey (maybe an extra step down though) and Accident Of Birth!
Slipknot!
CREED!
silverchair, before they turned shit! :mad:
Halford!

Slipknot can fuck right off.. :D

But the majority of good stuff is in standard shape. All the classic heavy metal bands, all the old hard rock and glam, classic rock, power metal, thrash, all the good stuff!