The Guys From Opeth Said The Next CD Will Be 'Heavy...'

• Thread starter King Purple Rainbow
  • Start date
Anyone else who thinks he growled too much on "BWP" instead of the more intense and furious "howling growls" of previous CDs? I'm still trying to like "BWP", but it's still not very good (compared to their other albums, that is..)

Blackwater Park....Not Good???? I think it's their best ever. Enough said.

And in regards to this:
10 songs = sell out.
I think Opeth could put out a 73 track grindcore CD and it would still be amazing, and thats saying a lot cause I passionately hate everything grindcore besides Cephalic Carnage.

I kinda agree with metal master. Drapery Falls and Drige for November have very dull death vocals, however the rest of the album has great death vox, especialy the first and last songs. And wouldnt you say his vocals realy changed from "howling" on MAYH and not BWP?

They change in every album, the singing and the growling...

But it's all good!

hmmm... I don't know about most of you guys... but Mikael saying the hard album is heavier than anything else they have done kind of scares me... that's what he said after they finished BWP... to me BWP was the worst Opeth cd yet. Sure it was still good... but I'd hate to hear another album just like BWP. I mean BWP was really just a bad extension of Still Life to me... Too much layered sound... Wouldn't it be great if Opeth reverted back to more of the simple/classical acoustic guitar type stuff, combined with really great classic metal riffs similiar to those in Morningrise... along with the better production... I think it would be awesome... well at least that's what I'd prefer anyway... I'm sure other would disagree with this opinion.

Exactly.

All of a sudden, BLACKWATER PARK sucks because it isn't ORCHID or MORNINGRISE. So what?!?! It's their band...let them run it the way they want to! If you don't like the direction, stop listening!

It's a bit of a pipedream to expect another Apostle In Triumph to close out Deliverance. I think we all secretly hunger for another Orchid/Morningrise/MAYH, but we all know we won't get it.

Another BWP? Again, no. Even BWP was a departure from Still Life. We'll see another departure, lyrics on another subject matter (concept album?), and riffs unlike any we've heard.

I'm really hoping for the style to span the entire band's metal experiences. I want HEAVY if they promise heavy, and mellow when they promise mellow.. I want to see each member's contribution from their grab-bag of tricks. Some more double-bass would be nice, and the twin guitar thing could make a comeback and I wouldn't complain.. But if it's Opeth, I'm going to like it (alright.. I admit it.. REVERE it) and will gladly drop lots of cash for several copies (I usually wear one out)..

Am I asking too much? Nah, but they have raised the bar and I'm allowed to have expectations! Whether or not I can bitch when they're not met is another story..

Have no fear.. the new album is near!

(disjointed)

I certainly don't want another Orchid/Morningrise. Those were great albums in the mid 90's when they came out. I think I may be nearly alone on this one, but I've liked every album more than the last. I think their first albums were very good, leaps and bounds ahead of everything at that time, but I really like how they progress exactly how they want to. Also, I love that they get more and more atmosphere on each album.

saying that BWP sounds like SL is as stupid as saying Morningrise sounds like Orchid. i'm sick of people whining about BWP. we've all heard it before "i want nothing but twin guitar leads". shut the fuck up. go find some generic in flames clones if you can't find enjoyment in anything but twin guitar melodies, because opeth are moving forward. of course the things i like about BWP everyone seems to hate. the way the songs flow better than than any of their older stuff, the way the heavy stuff is a dense wall of sound, the way the acoustic stuff is more prog oriented then just atmospheric stuff, and the vocal performance is the strongest yet IMO. i don't miss morningrise and orchid because I ALREADY OWN THEM!!!

Originally posted by bleedingskeptic
saying that BWP sounds like SL is as stupid as saying Morningrise sounds like Orchid. i'm sick of people whining about BWP. we've all heard it before "i want nothing but twin guitar leads". shut the fuck up. go find some generic in flames clones if you can't find enjoyment in anything but twin guitar melodies, because opeth are moving forward. of course the things i like about BWP everyone seems to hate. the way the songs flow better than than any of their older stuff, the way the heavy stuff is a dense wall of sound, the way the acoustic stuff is more prog oriented then just atmospheric stuff, and the vocal performance is the strongest yet IMO. i don't miss morningrise and orchid because I ALREADY OWN THEM!!!
Very well said man. I totally agree with everything you just said. I do enjoy morningrise and orchid, but if opeth put out an album like those I'd be fucking pissed. They get more cohesive and atmospheric as they go along, and if they didnt do that, they wouldnt be opeth. Everything gets better as they go along, and thats what i look for in a band.

Ooooh 10 songs... I hope that they will write country material and Mikael will stop growling completely and it will all be rhytmic and no melody at all just weird ass chords that sound totally disharmonic!!!! Yeah!!!! COZ OPETH RULES NO MATTER WHAT!!! :D

P.S. I don't think I was taking the piss on the fans or whatever, that was just random statement time.

Everyone has a right to his/her own opinion.
There's no need to get pissed off.
I enjoy BWP, in fact I think it's great...
However, in my opinion it's not the best Opeth has done.
Most of the songs aren't really that interesting after repeated listenings to me...
The older material is better to my ears, most of the songs were created over a period of a few years not a few weeks like the newer stuff. I'm not asking Opeth to revert back to their old style... I just would like to see songs that are a little more fleshed out on the next two cd's...