The heaviest albums of all time

Hey man, i would definatley be interested in getting a copy from you. for 2 bucks that is awesome.

I live in Virginia. I could send you a money order for 2 dollars plus shipping or i can do paypal as well.

Vital Remains - Dechristianize

That album is just brutal all the way through, some of the riffs they use are just bloody brilliant. I love every song on that album.

But i do agree that a lot of sabbath material should definitely be up there, if not at the top

Profånity said:
What would you say were the heaviest albums of all time?

By this I mean the loudest sounding and most energetic Metal album.

Here are my picks:

BLACK SABBATH - MASTER OF REALITY
This album is just pure Power. Geezer's bass makes this sound the Heaviest album in the world. The slow Tempo only helps that dense sound.

BLACK SABBATH - VOL.4
Has all the characteristics of the previous album without the thunderous bass. The album is however faster and more energetic than Master Of Reality.

BLACK SABBATH - DEHUMANIZER
Has the thunderous bass and the energy. Dio's voice on this album sounds far heavier than Ozzy's voice ever has.

ENTOMBED - MORNING STAR
Entombed's trademark Genre is at its heaviest here.

THERION - OF DARKNESS
The slow dominant power chord build up makes this sound heavy.

MORTICIAN - CHAINSAW DISMEMBERMENT
Heavy sound helped by drum beat.

Seems like Black Sabbath made the heaviest albums of all time unless someone can tell me any heavier albums and please don't give silly suggestions like Cathedral - Forest Of Equilibriun, Neurosis - A Sun That Never Sets, Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth e.t.c.

When giving your ideas please give a reason as well.
I'm surprised you don't have any German death metal on that list. Now that I think about it, I'd like to add Fleshcrawl - Soulskinner to mine. It has a wickedly heavy distorted guitar sound, crazy blasting, and bone crushing riffage. The perfect mix of fast blasting and slower, heavy as hell crushing passages. It's like early Dismember and Entombed, but much heavier and more brutal.

Im surprised this forum didn't get crushed with nothing but mentions of black metal and death metal bands...sure they were there but at least half the bands metioned weren't in those categories. The problem with the black and death metal bands is that you could go on mentioning them endlessly since they're all brutally heavy. I'm glad for the mentions of some standout bands like Sabbath and Metallica. They may be musically simple but they're just plain HEAVY.
So, I'll present my pick for heaviest album ever...KITTIE - ORACLE. Say what you will, but the tone, riffs, drums, lyrics and vocals on this album fit together to just make the most crushingly heavy album ever. The chorus in that song Wolves...my god. Now, there are a couple melodic songs that really show off Morgan's amazing voice, but to me the heaviness of meaning in those songs add to the heaviness of the album not tone-wise but meaning-wise.

I guess it is improtant to note exactly how one personally defines the term "heavy." For me heavy means hard, extreme, and crushing. All the heaviest bands are death metal IMO. Black metal isn't as heavy because the guitar sound is generally thinner and more trebly, and the riffing lacks the palm muting and bone crushing quality of death metal riffs. But something does NOT necessarily have to be fast to be heavy. For instance, the Nile song Sacrophagus is not fast at all but is extremely heavy. I think a lot of albums that were released a long time ago (70s and even early 80s) can't match up to more recent works in heavyness because they didn't have the crushing guitar sound, and metal hadn't evolved yet to include bands that are as heavy and crushing as they are today. Ahh, I'm rambling and I think I'll stop now.

Elecric Wizard - Dopethrone. Like Master of Reality, but way more fucked up and droning. Let us prey has the same monolithic riffs and basslines but less raw power IMO.

And as for brutal mindnumbing insanity Obscura by Gorguts and The Codex Necro by Anaal Nathrakh instantly spring to mind. And add Cathedrals debut to the two above as it is heavier than hell itself.

Life Sucks said:
I guess it is improtant to note exactly how one personally defines the term "heavy." For me heavy means hard, extreme, and crushing. All the heaviest bands are death metal IMO. Black metal isn't as heavy because the guitar sound is generally thinner and more trebly, and the riffing lacks the palm muting and bone crushing quality of death metal riffs. But something does NOT necessarily have to be fast to be heavy. For instance, the Nile song Sacrophagus is not fast at all but is extremely heavy. I think a lot of albums that were released a long time ago (70s and even early 80s) can't match up to more recent works in heavyness because they didn't have the crushing guitar sound, and metal hadn't evolved yet to include bands that are as heavy and crushing as they are today. Ahh, I'm rambling and I think I'll stop now.
Good point, although I take issue with your argument about guitar tone. You can have an album that sounds heavy, but the actual composition is not. Try playing Nile with an acoustic guitar and it will sound ridiculous. So I think modern bands use technology to make their music heavier but in the process weaken the music through laziness.

Oh, and i'd add a Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos due its extremely low tuning and slow, churning riffs. Awesome

Life Sucks said:
I'm surprised you don't have any German death metal on that list. Now that I think about it, I'd like to add Fleshcrawl - Soulskinner to mine. It has a wickedly heavy distorted guitar sound, crazy blasting, and bone crushing riffage. The perfect mix of fast blasting and slower, heavy as hell crushing passages. It's like early Dismember and Entombed, but much heavier and more brutal.
I love Soulskinner. The tracks Dying Blood and The Forthcoming End are absolutely to die for. I've never heard old school swedish death sound so crushingly heavy yet morbidly eerie and melodic.

Necro Joe said:
And as for brutal mindnumbing insanity Obscura by Gorguts and The Codex Necro by Anaal Nathrakh instantly spring to mind. And add Cathedrals debut to the two above as it is heavier than hell itself.
Definately. Also, people interested in overwhelming heaviness (in terms of simply being extremely difficult to listen to and get a grasp on) should check out italian mesopotamian deathsters Nefas. They're like Immolation with the aggression and speed of Krisiun, but also much more technical than that would imply. The stuff is absolutely impossible to comprehend and remember!

I think I agree that Black Sabbath has done some of the heaviest music around. Cathedral, Pentagram and a few other stoner / doom acts also come close with some of their music.

Concerning "Master Of Puppets" that one is not really heavy in my opinion. It's fast and intense but not very heavy. When it comes to Metallica "Load" and "Reload" are by far their heaviest ones.

Some other really heavy albums have been made by Kataklysm and Bolt Thrower, in my opinion the heaviest death metal bands.