The Heaviest Bands You Can Think Of

Nile?! How do you people define heaviness really? A lot of you seem to think fast=heavy. Heavy is slow or midpaced,To Live Is To Die and Soulburn are heavy songs for example,Damage Inc and Future Breed Machine are not.

Black Sabbath are heavy especially on Master of Reality. I do not consider them nearly as heavy as bands who followed after though.

Pentagram,Candlemass,Solitude Aeturnus,Trouble,Cathedral,Solstice etc.. have some of the heaviest music on the planet.

I don't see how people find bands like devourment heavy personally and the distortion is just really shitty low-fi nor sounds like the person is cranking gear or getting their guitars recorded decent. The guitars are so horribly recorded regardless how much their guitarist mute notes it does not matter and there's just no tone or power or loudness.

I do think Devourment are heavy, but I think they would be better if the production weren't quite as muddy. To me, heavy means pulverizing and aggressive; kind of as if you were sonically getting run over by a steamroller. I don't get that feeling from traditional doom. Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think that brutal = heavy. I find bands like Asphyx, (early) Incantation, Infester, Rotrevore, Moondark, etc. heavy as hell, and they are not brutal death.

Thrash really is not usually very "heavy."

well back in the day it probably was... i consider it heavy in certain respects... listening to an bonecrushing album like Infernal Overkill is very heavy.... though not in the same sense that doom or death metal is.

Some death thrash can be pretty heavy, but plain thrash, no, especially not the Bay Area style. Protector, (earlier) Sepultura, (early) Kreator, Torture Squad, and other like bands can be pretty heavy, but they are all clearly death thrash, and not pure thrash.

Because it's not heavy...

One dimensional, much?

Thrash isn't "heavy?" Okay...:mad:. Tell that to Darkness Descends, Infernal Overkill or Illusions/Chemical Exposure to name a few.

Thrash isn't heavy, but death metal is? Slow, excessive palm muting and blastbeats, silly vocals, etc...is that supposed to be "heavy?"

And, FYI, I like lots of metal that's not thrash, and lots of music that's not metal. I even like a little death metal, like some Nile. But to me 'heavy' is fast, intricate and vocally/lyrically challenging.

the one song that i can listen to that always gets me in the mood to kill something is cannibal corpse-infinite misery (the only song i like off of kill) also cannibal corpse-pounded into dust

also, any nile or bloodbath works for this too.

dying fetus-kill your mother rape your dog

Defeated Sanity is wicked fucking heavy. I mention this now, because I have been listening to them a lot again. The riffing style, the guitar tone, the rhythm, etc. is all absolutely crushing.