The Initial Impressions Thread

even worse than Two Tragedy Poets, which was pretty disappointing.

Well, I really changed my opinion about this. Really fun, catchy folky punkish rock stuff.

Listened to Vehemence - God Was Created yesterday. Some of the riffing was serious quality, but the vocals were crap and there were so many things wrong with the production I couldn't even start to name them. Still, at points I found myself enjoying it in much the same fashion that I enjoy Pandemonium's The Autumn Enigma - just letting it wash over me. That makes the weird transitions more bearable, certainly.
Not terribly disappointed, overall, but this definitely could have been better. Lyrics are a mix of good and really facepalmingly terrible, but still a cut above most other death metal (because at least they tried).

Carcass - Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious

I was going to get other Carcass albums first anticipating this as my favorite (I try to work my way up sometimes), but decided against it. Only took three songs to realize that such was the case. Kicked my ass. :kickass:

That's a cool album but you have to get Symphonies of Sickness, it's even better! ;)

Trouble - The Skull

Unfortunately the "sophomore slump" reputation seems to be deserved here. Not nearly as much variety as Psalm 9, with most of the songs being formed out of mid-tempo one-note thrash riffs, and the structures being less diverse. Wickedness of Man picks up the pace a bit and has a really cool almost-oriental melody that I'm sure Candlemass borrowed for something, and the title track is somber doom-laden excellence, but that only accounts for a quarter of the play time. Hope the rest grows on me.