The Initial Impressions Thread

Scrambled Defuncts - Souls Despising the God

OK, play some classical music of a period of your choice on your media player of choice. Go to a tech death band of your choice's Myspace and have the first song there play as well. Listen to both at the same time. This sounds like that. Intriguing but...what the fuck?

That actually sounded pretty cool, but not something I'd listen to repeatedly.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
I really like this...very melancholic but with kinda happy guitar melodies. Very nice. The guitars are great and Billy Corgan's voice works excellently.

Phlebotomized - Immense Intense Suspense

Great stuff, and much riffier than I expected, with the buzzsaw approaching Eternal Devastation levels at times. Weird, obviously, but the experimental nature doesn't bother me at all like it does in 99% of extreme avant-garde metal. Reminds me a good bit of Todessehnsucht, actually.

Scrambled Defuncts - Souls Despising the God

OK, play some classical music of a period of your choice on your media player of choice. Go to a tech death band of your choice's Myspace and have the first song there play as well. Listen to both at the same time. This sounds like that. Intriguing but...what the fuck?

It's overwhelming honestly.

I like it... what I'm hearing is cool... But I have to listen to one track and then go back and listen to another later. It's majorly mindfucking when you try to listen to the whole album at once.

It took me a few tries to get into it...my INITIAL impression was not exactly positive as you can see, but I've eased into it.

Anything that comes from Russia is usually quality stuff. It's so much on the line of do I WANT it or NOT? I can't imagine myself listening to this for more then 10 minutes.

New and Interesting, but no.

I just picked up Yggdrasil - Vedergaellning and was blown away. I am really enjoying this album right now.

Carcass - Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious

I was going to get other Carcass albums first anticipating this as my favorite (I try to work my way up sometimes), but decided against it. Only took three songs to realize that such was the case. Kicked my ass. :kickass:

Sceptic - Internal Complexity

So far it is my least favorite Sceptic, but that can happen when hearing something for the first time, from a band you like. The last three songs are pretty awesome. The rest is starting to grow on me. It sounds like they have a female vocalist. I may have read that somewhere as well, don't remember, but it sounds like it.

Just listened to Dissection - Reinkaos
GOD DAMN. That kicked ass. Everything is polished to perfection, but it's still got that old Dissection bite. Quite aggressive and often headbangable, but catchy and extremely melodic. Not as evil as SotLB, but there's a definite sense of malice that sets it aside from mid-90s era In Flames and things of that nature, although the actual music is comparable. Anyhow, fucking awesome. Glad I got this.

Manowar - Into Battle Ride
The first song disappointed me; too rockish. After that, pure fucking MANLY METAL. Revelation was particularly amazing, and of course anyone who doesn't bow down before Glove of Metal had better leave the fucking hall. The last song was a little dull and clunky, and Hatred went on way too long. I liked the random Black Sabbath riff on the chorus, though.

Mastodon

Initial impression (right after the release of leviathan) - some really good parts but I couldnt stand it in the long run.

Now: I gave leviathan several chances and it really grew on me. Nowadays I dig Mastodon quite a bit. One of the best and most oriinal metal bands out there.

Alice in chains - black gives way to blue. I first heard this one when I was hungry and when I am hungry I often dislike most music I hear. It seems to be how I react to hunger. Then I gave it a second chance and I was hungry then to so I was disapointed yet again (allthough I knew it could be because of lack of food). The third time I listened to it I was all full and in a good mood and I loved it. I still do. I think its one of AiC's best albums.

It happens quite often that I dislike an album the first time I hear it but I have this feeling that I should give it more chances. I usually let it rest for a few weeks (sometimes months) and then come back to it. Usually the music have somehow matured in my head (or the impressions of it) and I start to like the album. Very often its those albums that I dig the most in the long run.

Elvenking - Wyrd
This sounds like a clusterfuck of failure. It's the same basic sound as Heathenreel, but the incredibly catchy parts have been removed, the tight structures have been replaced with a stream of parts vomited out at random, and the vocals are pretty bad. Definitely their worst, even worse than Two Tragedy Poets, which was pretty disappointing.

Mechina - Tyrannical Resurrection

Like a more atmospheric Fear Factory (too much like Fear Factory in some parts actually). Too much chugging and not enough riffing but it's fairly decent, the potential is there.

(Uploader is a tard, this isn't industrial black at all)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sabbat - Dreamweaver

Didn't make me ejaculate like I thought it would. Headbangability seemed pretty steady throughout, but the really thick guitar tone with the really fast riffs and the bazillion verses Walkyier had to put out made the whole thing a blur. Sort of like a Time Does Not Heal, without all the rape. Still liked it, though.

Pestilence - Spheres

Testimony of the Ancients was a massive disappointment so I avoided this one for a while, and didn't risk wasting $$ for something I might not like. I think that I'm glad I saved my money. Unlike the previous which is completely overrated as a tech death album, I can hear a significant improvement in complexity here for the most part (and the drumming seems pretty damn awesome), but a lot of these riffs are still downright boring. Actually, it still doesn't sound very deathly (about as much as Coroner), but whatever. And people weren't kidding about the production; I can tolerate the weak guitar tone but when it's the dominating force volume-wise it's ridiculous. The guitar synths seem extremely gimmicky too, especially on Changing Perspectives with its silly ten second faux-sitar intro/outro.