The Iron Giant & Emotional Chord Structures.

Nitronium Blood

UM BOARDS' JESTER
Dec 28, 2001
Marchin' up and down the scqaiya.
Visit site
That damn Iron Giant movie, made my cry like an old woman. Great movie though and I recommend that you watch it.

Although my theory skills are zero, it does not stop me from playing guitar. I leave the shredding to the shredders and I consider myself a 'riff' man.

With that said, after watching this tear jerker of a movie, I would like to know more regarding chord structures that are used to summarise a player's emotion. The feeling of loss of a loved one to be specific. Unfortunately, simply writing a root arpeggio style riff does me fuck-all unless I musically wish to say "Yeah let's tear this place down".

I know that I won't find an answer like "Oh you want to make a song about a lost loved one! Damn.. you should play this and this and this", but I would like your suggestions on where you would start if you were going to write a song about the death/loss of a friend/family member. Something beyond the standard 'just play minor chords' advice.

Please keep in mind I'm a total dumbass in the field of theory and any sort of 'emotional chord structures for dummies' resource or information you have would be very helpful.

Thank you.