The Lotus Eater

I've been listening to it constantly, and when I don't listen to it I just want to put it on. Only the very best of songs can do that. The Lotus Eater's opening is so incredibly cool, the quiet, folkish intro, then the exploding into blastbeat verse with those clean vocals... I got tears in my eyes first time I heard it, I felt like, "Yes! They deliver.. AGAIN!!!" Fuck what a great song, it's too cool. Porcelain Heart is beautifull or should I say "beautidull" , I have gotten over the similarity to The Grand Conjuration's main riff though, it stands on its own now, but is nowhere near as engaging or exciting as Lotus.

Ok, I want to try and say this without sounding negitive. I personally don't hear the subbtle nuances in Axe's druming that I did with Lopez's. However, I can see how these traits might develop over time, as Axe becomes more and more comfortable with Opeth. Also consider these two guys have completely different backgrounds in drumming, and while we have developed a taste for Lopez's latin roots, some good old asskicking blast beats is a welcome change.

I can say nothing bad about what I've heard from watershed, it's very technical and very tight.:headbang:

Axe's style and Lopez style are totally different. They are both amazing drummers, and love all the work they have done,

BUT PLEASE BRING ANDERS NORDIN BACK!

Just kidding. What Axe did is match his style to the Opeth sound, and he did it better than anyone expected. Kudos to Axe.

The middle and the ending is awesome. And the circus/nintendo part, if you want to call it that. And the beginning.

Fuck it, the whole song is great. Masterpiece!

Yeah, yeah. Seems to me like you're doing everything to convince yourself and others that this new album is rubbish. I've seen this before.

Would you by any chance think even the name of the album is crap? :p

Just joking around. Everyone's entitled to an opinion. :saint:

Eh, I don't want to dislike it. I really like Opeth, and am just pissed off with the new stuff really. As far as I'm concerned, eight excellent albums is a pretty damn good run.

I Love the song, especially the first 2 or so minutes. The nintendo part is pretty cool too. The song is more experimental and playful and refreshing. A funny thing is that the title is nearly identical to the Nevermore song The Lotus Eaters from Dreaming Neon Black :)

Eh, I don't want to dislike it. I really like Opeth, and am just pissed off with the new stuff really. As far as I'm concerned, eight excellent albums is a pretty damn good run.

Fair enough. We all have different taste in music. :)

All I can say is, I'm a fan of most of the albums except the first two (honestly, I haven't listened to them that much, maybe just 4 or 5 times :ill: ) and I can say that The Lotus Eater is one of the most twisted, evil and immersive tracks I've heard. I'm glad they're taking the music in a new direction, they couldn't possibly survive without it.

I agree with Nakrophile.

I keep listening to it and trying to like it, but instead of it growing on me it's growing away from me. It's almost heartbreaking, Opeth being my all time favorite band and all. And waiting 2-1/2 to 3 years between GR and this makes it all the more worse. My excitement for this album is waning away, but I will still by it of course. I don't hate it, it's just a severe let down so far.

They are drifting further and further away from the sheer brilliance and atmospheric beauty that was Still Life and blackwater park. And I do realize that there are 4 tracks that I have yet to hear, and judging only by what I've read about them so far, it won't be coil or hex omega, so I guess it's up to burden and hessian peel to pluck this one from the mire.

All I can say is, I'm a fan of most of the albums except the first two (honestly, I haven't listened to them that much, maybe just 4 or 5 times :ill: ) and I can say that The Lotus Eater is one of the most twisted, evil and immersive tracks I've heard. I'm glad they're taking the music in a new direction, they couldn't possibly survive without it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about the 1st two albums. But about TLE, It doesn't sound evil to me at all. It sounds more like a poor attempt at humour. Kind of like a known serious person trying to be funny. Just like Pain of Salvation's Scarsick album (which sucks ass by the way).

I hope this isn't a new trend amongst all of my favorite Swedish bands. (well, at least Meshuggah didn't do this to me).

"Just like Pain of Salvation's Scarsick album (which sucks ass by the way)."

Strange, I find Scarsick to be a very conceptually serious album, with a lot of VERY experimental tracks, especially Disco Queen. I don't think the album sucks though (nobody can claim that, it's a matter of opinion!). Enter Rain is one of my favorite Pain of Salvation tracks of all time, it grasps the whole essence of the band and what it stands for.

But this thread is about The Lotus Eater, yes?

"I agree with you about the 1st two albums. But about TLE, It doesn't sound evil to me at all. It sounds more like a poor attempt at humour. Kind of like a known serious person trying to be funny."

I'm trying to find words, but I don't know where you're getting this from. Seems like there are a lot of ways to interpret music.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to listen to TLE again. Can't seem to stop. o_O

I've totally fell in love with The Lotus Eater. Love the part when the vocals come in and he sings: "liquid is in your throat.."

its the jam, the dance beat with the freakout keyboards is a little hard to get used to at first, but after a few listens it's pretty cool. Overall the song is pretty badass though