The Maidens In Classic Rock

There was a an article on tribute bands in this month's Classic Rock (November issue - with Velvet Revolver on the front) and the Maidens had the headline picture (as seen here - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/Metallicat180/TheGreatPretenders.jpg )
and a small piece in the article which I've typed out below. :D

Hayseed Dixie are by no means the only band making a living from AC/DC songs, but they may well be the most interesting. Challenging for that crown, however, is AC/DShe. Unsurprisingly, they're an all-female covers band, one of many on the "scene". Among those joining them in this sub-sub genre are The Iron Maidens, Mistress Of Reality (a Black Sabbath covers band fronted by Izzy Osbourne), Ms.Fits, Cheap Chick and The Ramonas. There's really no shortage of ladies ready to impersonate our male heroes, and there appears to be an audience for their gender mixing tomfoolery. Iron Maidens frontwoman Bruce Chickinson offers a couple of possible reasons.

"I wanted to play Maiden's music because of the little things like sheer power and majesty of the music and the intelligence of the lyrics," she says. "It's incredibly difficult music to play. It's very involved and technically challenging. The women of The Iron Maidens are wonderful musicians and I absolutely love singing these songs with them. The audiences are so involved and emotional, they really get into it and the response is incredible. It's a very celebratory experience to do an Iron Maidens show. What we can add to the music, as the only female Maiden tribute band, is a little bit of sex appeal. Plus many people have the mistaken impression that Iron Maiden is "male" music, so hopefully we can help correct that thinking and open people up - musicians and non-musicians alike - to the idea of not setting those kind of limits on themselves of great music."

Whether they really are making a serious statement about the metal credibility of women, or just dressing up and playing other people's songs is debatable.

I kind of got the impression that they find the idea of women playing heavy metal a bit of a joke. Should send them a couple of Phantom Blue cds and that would show him that women can write original heavy metal songs and kick some major ass!! :headbang:

This is a touchy subject for me. I get very angry with the view of women in this business. Many men are just afraid of women with power and mental/physical ability that matches or exceeds their own, so they feel the need to belittle, or negate them in some way. I am so proud that The Iron Maidens can shut the mouths of such naysayers with their indisputable talent. In your face those of you who are of such a mind!! :hotjump:

I haven't heard other female tribute bands but the Maidens rule!
They sound almost as good as the real band and they put on a great show!! For a lot of fans, especially fans of bands that don't tour so much, the tribute bands provide a great way to enjoy the music they love (if the band is good like the Maidens)!!

I do meet a lot of people though who despise tribute bands...
I don't see anything wrong with people forming a band and playin the music they love.

Go Maidens! and thank you for keeping Maiden music alive!!

Cheers to the Maidens and all the other female acts getting out there and doing it! :worship:

Don't forget to register to vote! The deadline is fast approaching.

--David

red7of9 said:
This is a touchy subject for me. I get very angry with the view of women in this business. Many men are just afraid of women with power and mental/physical ability that matches or exceeds their own, so they feel the need to belittle, or negate them in some way. I am so proud that The Iron Maidens can shut the mouths of such naysayers with their indisputable talent. In your face those of you who are of such a mind!! :hotjump:
I agree - I don't see how being female makes you any less of a musician! I get that sometimes when I tell people that I play guitar. I've had strange looks when carrying it around, or if I'm wearing one of my Metallica/Maiden/Megadeth t-shirts. People think I'm a poser and I hate that!! Heavy metal is not a fashion statement, it's a way of life!!! :headbang:

Damn, Metallicat, I'd love to meet you!! :D You're my kind of metalhead!! I look like a person who would be into wimpy music and you should see the look on people's faces when I tell them I'm into Heavy Metal. Not just any metal either. I like the fast and hard stuff. Metallica (no offense, but early years), Pantera, Slayer, Manowar, Warface, OF COURSE MAIDEN!, Black Sabbath, Kreator, Dio (early stuff), Anthrax, to name a few. But the powerful stuff. :cool: I miss seeing Maiden live. :cry: I love Bruce. So when I went to see the Maiden-s, it flashed me back hardcore and I loved that they put me there. :worship: I've seen an all guys tribute band by the name of Piece of Mind, to be totally honest, they sucked. The singer could not hold the high notes, the guitar player was on something and was way off. The drummer looked like he'd rather be somewhere else and the bass player was simply weak. I saw them once and I would not see them again. :yuk: Now the Maiden-s on the other hand...I can't wait for their next show!! :wave: I think it's in San Marcos in November. Near my birthday!!! That's going to be a blast!! :hotjump: I plan to take lots of pictures to share with everyone on the BB. Even this BB rules!! I visit other sites and everyone is lame. So whoever says women can't kick ass, they can kiss mine!! :) Stay fierce ladies!!!!!!!!
Much metal and magic!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

MAIDEN67 said:
Damn, Metallicat, I'd love to meet you!! :D You're my kind of metalhead!! I look like a person who would be into wimpy music and you should see the look on people's faces when I tell them I'm into Heavy Metal. Not just any metal either. I like the fast and hard stuff. Metallica (no offense, but early years), Pantera, Slayer, Manowar, Warface, OF COURSE MAIDEN!, Black Sabbath, Kreator, Dio (early stuff), Anthrax, to name a few. But the powerful stuff. :cool: I miss seeing Maiden live. :cry: I love Bruce. So when I went to see the Maiden-s, it flashed me back hardcore and I loved that they put me there. :worship: I've seen an all guys tribute band by the name of Piece of Mind, to be totally honest, they sucked. The singer could not hold the high notes, the guitar player was on something and was way off. The drummer looked like he'd rather be somewhere else and the bass player was simply weak. I saw them once and I would not see them again. :yuk: Now the Maiden-s on the other hand...I can't wait for their next show!! :wave: I think it's in San Marcos in November. Near my birthday!!! That's going to be a blast!! :hotjump: I plan to take lots of pictures to share with everyone on the BB. Even this BB rules!! I visit other sites and everyone is lame. So whoever says women can't kick ass, they can kiss mine!! :) Stay fierce ladies!!!!!!!!
Much metal and magic!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Awww thanks! :oops: I'd like to meet you too - I'm always up for meeting new metalheads!! My three fave bands are Metallica, Maiden and Megadeth - that last one really gets people cos it's so fast and aggressive! "How can a girl like music like that?" Erm...quite easily!!!

hEY mETALLICAT! i REALLY LOVE METAL MUSIC!! tHERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT!! i LIKE CANDELMASS ALSO. tHEY HAIL FROM SWEDEN. eUROPE IS BIG ON METAL. mY FRIENDS HAVE A LOCAL BAND AND THEY TRAVEL TO eUROPE ALOT. tHEY JUST DID A GIG IN gERMANY. pEOPLE IN aMERICA NEED TO MAKE METAL A BIG DEMAND AGAIN SO WE CAN GET SOME DECENT CONCERTS HERE!! mEGADETH IS COOL TOO!! kEEP BANGIN' mETALLICAT!! :headbang:

so i get a call yesterday from my long time drummer friend ian who invited me to jam NIB with his cover band this friday at the pitcher house. the bass player's wife said no cuz i'm a girl and can't be on the same stage with him. wtf!!!! talk about insecure!!! she also said it's cuz she thinks i need to practice first. now why in the hell would ian ask someone who sucks to jam live with his band, and is the fact that i'm female predisposition me to suck @ playing metal? is she scared of a trainwreck, or terrified that i'll bust iommi all over that pub!!!!!!

you know, i do take being a female musician very seriously. i play everyday and absolutely love it. yes, the vehicle i use right now is a tribute band to iron maiden - kick ass music that is respected all over the world. the press and exposure that the iron maidens receive sometimes likes to lean on the "girls playing the boys music" and we frequently get the non-original jab. on the whole, the feedback has been very positive tho. fact is, female musicians in metal are rare. if i can be visible for others like me who seek out to be inspired, then i feel like i give back what i have borrowed.

we've all been discriminated against, but music should be the last thing with barriers. and yes, i'll be there friday night \m/ muhahahahahaha \m/

MiniMurray said:
so i get a call yesterday from my long time drummer friend ian who invited me to jam NIB with his cover band this friday at the pitcher house. the bass player's wife said no cuz i'm a girl and can't be on the same stage with him. wtf!!!! talk about insecure!!! she also said it's cuz she thinks i need to practice first. now why in the hell would ian ask someone who sucks to jam live with his band, and is the fact that i'm female predisposition me to suck @ playing metal? is she scared of a trainwreck, or terrified that i'll bust iommi all over that pub!!!!!!

you know, i do take being a female musician very seriously. i play everyday and absolutely love it. yes, the vehicle i use right now is a tribute band to iron maiden - kick ass music that is respected all over the world. the press and exposure that the iron maidens receive sometimes likes to lean on the "girls playing the boys music" and we frequently get the non-original jab. on the whole, the feedback has been very positive tho. fact is, female musicians in metal are rare. if i can be visible for others like me who seek out to be inspired, then i feel like i give back what i have borrowed.

we've all been discriminated against, but music should be the last thing with barriers. and yes, i'll be there friday night \m/ muhahahahahaha \m/
Great post! :headbang:

That is very sad about the bass player's wife! She sounds like a very insecure person. She thinks you need to practise?!?! Ok, has she even heard you play? I seriously doubt that cos if she had she wouldn't be saying shit like that - she'd be more like :OMG: . Does she know that you played in Mistress? Being a female musician does leave you open to alot of flak but I reckon that's only cos guys are scared that we'll be better than them (and many of us are! :D ) You definately go there and kick some ass with those Iommi riffs!!! :headbang:

Here, here Metallicat!! Sara, you go do what you do best, kicking ass on the axe! :worship: She's the one with the prob. If she is that insecure, then maybe she has more issues with her ol' man than any of us know about. I came from a house full of indians and latinos. :rolleyes: Believe me, I had to deal with all the macho bullshit growing up, but I kick everyone of my male cousins' ass!! :Shedevil: I was very opinionated and they did not like a woman telling them what's up. :mad: I, on the other hand, loved it!! :devil: I was a force to be reckoned with and they hated dealing with me. So you stay fierce and don't worry, you have LOTS of backup!! :kickass:

CHICKS RULE!!! Much metal and magic!

Ha ha....I love your smileys on that last post!!!!

I think there are very few female rock musicians in comparison to men. Some men would love to say it's because we only want to be singers, we don't have the commitment to work hard enough to become good enough, blah, blah, blah. I know that many of you know exactly why. Not only do you get tired of the crap coming from all directions because of sexism, but some leave to raise family's. It is a whole lot easier for men to continue rockin' when they have kids. Mom usually stays home with the babys. :cry:

red7of9 said:
Ha ha....I love your smileys on that last post!!!!

I think there are very few female rock musicians in comparison to men. Some men would love to say it's because we only want to be singers, we don't have the commitment to work hard enough to become good enough, blah, blah, blah. I know that many of you know exactly why. Not only do you get tired of the crap coming from all directions because of sexism, but some leave to raise family's. It is a whole lot easier for men to continue rockin' when they have kids. Mom usually stays home with the babys. :cry:
True, there are more men than women musicians ( and that goes for all styles). Though it's easier for men to continue rockin' with kids, it's not impossible for a woman to do so as well! It's definitely harder, but with a mate who understands and supports the total commitment and love for the art, anything can be accomplished. NEVER SURRENDER!!!

As a singer, it saddens me that we are not also considered musicians though I know we often only have ourselves to blame for this. Since we are our own instrument, many vocalists think that's all they need to know or do. :erk: What a shame, they don't realize knowledge is power!

Air Raid Siren said:
True, there are more men than women musicians ( and that goes for all styles). Though it's easier for men to continue rockin' with kids, it's not impossible for a woman to do so as well! It's definitely harder, but with a mate who understands and supports the total commitment and love for the art, anything can be accomplished. NEVER SURRENDER!!!

As a singer, it saddens me that we are not also considered musicians though I know we often only have ourselves to blame for this. Since we are our own instrument, many vocalists think that's all they need to know or do. :erk: What a shame, they don't realize knowledge is power!
I wonder what your thoughts were on that! I hate it how singers are regarded as "just singers" and not musicians as well. They have to train their voice and put alot of work into keeping it sounding good and the people that say that have obviously never done singing training!

Here!Here! I admire any talented musician who is true to their art. There are a lot of people out there that are skating musically. The majority of the bunch know how to play 3 cords and call it a day. Now don't get me wrong, if you one day decided to pick up an instrument and started playing, then good for you. But as Aja said, if you never expand from there, how can you call yourself a true musician? Women have a lot more against in anything they do. Society is set up for men, so for all the women out there breaking the mold, more power to ya sister!!!! :kickass:
As for you men out there, if you care about any of the women in your life, support them and allow them to dream too!! ;)

For my Maiden-s, you're an inspiration to us all!! Chicks rule!!! :worship:

Stay fierce!!! Much metal and magic :headbang: :headbang:

Heavy Metal or no Metal at all!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

-Manowar

Metallicat180 said:
I wonder what your thoughts were on that! I hate it how singers are regarded as "just singers" and not musicians as well. They have to train their voice and put alot of work into keeping it sounding good and the people that say that have obviously never done singing training!
For me personally, it was the desire to be more than "just a singer" that lead me to move to Cali so I could study music formally for a couple of years (theory, piano, ear and vocal training) It gave me a solid foundation over the years, as well as the opportunity to sing a bit of opera (which, needless to say, has come in quite handy!!! :tickled: )

That's why you're awesome Aja! :worship: Theory is very important for any instrument that you use in creating music. Knowing the method to the madness will make you a well-rounded and rich musician. Plus, you have to know the rules before you can break or bend them ;) Keep up the great work Aja!! :kickass: Stay fierce!!

Much metal and magic :headbang:

MAIDEN67 said:
Knowing the method to the madness will make you a well-rounded and rich musician.
It helped me a lot when I started messing around on guitar, that's for sure! On your own or more formally, it's always good to grow! That's why I love playing with the Maidens. :headbang: They're all such dedicated musicians! You have to be to play this music!
IM :worship:

<*delurk*> I just had to pipe in here. The world is full of ignorant dumb ass people. The gender of a musician has nothing to do with musicianship and any man who thinks otherwise is as foolish as the Flat Earth Society.

I can still remember back when I first worked with Sara in Bandit and Cathy lost her voice at a Gazzarie's Gig. Got her offstage and working on getting back her pipes and let the ladies know that they had to hold the crowd until she got back. All along the bar I could see a dozen or so guys standing there with their arms crossed and smirks on their faces. Sara, and Karen (bass) just started to groove and ripping solos back and forth with Miss McDonell keeping the downbeat. This went on for at least 5 minutes before Cathy recovered. And all of those posers at the bar had their arms hanging down and their mouths agape 'cause they had just had their asses musically kicked by "a bunch of girls".

I make my living in the music business and I have very seldom met a more professional or talented group of musicians including many with record company support and lots of "success". They don't whine or make excuses, they let the music do the talking and it SHOUTS OUT LOUD AND CLEAR that they love the music and that is why they work so hard at it.

If I haven't said it lately to you ladies just know that you are a pleasure to work with and you help me to remember why I love the Music Business.

Time to re-lurk before I get all gushy! <*lurk*>