The "Make Yout Tracks Sound Larger" Just got revamped

TheWinterSnow

Den Mørke Natt
Oct 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
After spending all night on this thing, I give you "Make Your Tracks Sound Professional" PDF that goes over all the basics of analog plugins and using them.

When I went back and looked at the old version I realized that there were a lot of things wrong with it, and rather doing step by step audio walkthrough which would be useless in application of other songs, I would go back, correct the wrongs in it, get rid of the walk through and add much more to it. Depending on how well its liked, and how detailed it is, I just might keep it private to those that are established Sneap Forum members, as I feel its almost "joey's POD presets leaked" material, really shouldn't be in the hands of the absolutely retarded who go of trying to charge bands for cracked plugins, its like handing them unworthy knowledge on a sliver platter, without any effort on their part.

looking froward to anyone who wants to add criticism, such as what they want to see be added, what topics do you want more in detail etc. I do want to make the thing quite huge, I may or may not add a how to mix section or just make another tutorial, totally depends and what you guys want.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1170463/Make Your Tracks Sound Professional.pdf

Err... wait a minute:
Odd harmonics are naturally more pleasing to the ear where even numbered harmonics
can be fatiguing, and uncomfortable to listen to
over extended periods of time. Non tube
gear can be either even or odd depending on the design of the circuit.
***Relating the OD pedals, the huge difference between most of them regardless of price
is the clipping circuit specification. Asymmetrical clipping (ex. Boss SD-1) generates odd
number harmonics
to be pushed into the amp and Symmetrical (ex Ibanez TS9) generates
even number harmonics
to do the same.

AFAIK, symmetrical clipping generates only odd order harmonics, which are less pleasant to hear than the even order harmonics generated by asymmetrical clipping...
Asymmetrical clipping generates both even and odd order harmonics...

On your document you're saying the exact opposite...

Err... wait a minute:

AFAIK, symmetrical clipping generates only odd order harmonics, which are less pleasant to hear than the even order harmonics generated by asymmetrical clipping...

You're probably right that there's a mistake, but most people can probably figure it out by themselves... I mean, Boss SD-1 does sound pretty unpleasant, whereas TS is THE overdrive pedal. But those who don't figure it out, it would be a good thing to fix it...

I'm downloading this, thanks a lot!

to some degree we are both right and wrong from what I can gather. What I could gather is that Symmetrical clipping is strongly odd order harmonics which is uneasy on the ears and asymmetrical clipping has bother odd and even which is smoother, has more mid complexion and is a bit more edgy.

Honestly though while looking at both my real SD-1, modeled SD-1 modeled tube screamer, the sine sweep on my 5150's power section when I made impulses they all at low volumes have about the same in presence of harmonics (the odd will always be a hair louder) but during massive saturation, the even order harmonics will be obliterated.

And as I am finding, generally speaking most people can't agree on which sounds more pleasing to the ears or which type of clipping is which and after looking at the charts I did and seeing the disagreements I can honestly say most people can't tell their heads from their ass. But really thinking about it, triodes are asymmetrical, where transistors are symmetrical with no soft knee, if tube distortion was harder on the ears than transistors than why are tubes so revered? Tube amps are softer on the ears and are edgier sounding, that is why we are still using them. The odd order harmonics and no saturation knee of a transistor is what causes the buzzsaw sound and this is an effect of symmetrical clipping.

And thats the difference between the pedals, your asymmetrical pedal is going to be edgier, yet smoother and have more mid complexion and a symmetrical pedal is going to be darker and warmer from having less bite.

Thanks a bundle, ive only skimmed it but it seems pretty informative so far! When i get around to getting some ink for my printer il print it out and give it a read read!

wow i really appreciate you taking the time on this one, on a further note, i think we should have more pdf's. Maybe eventually put a bunch together to have a PDF that is a "recording bible"