Making your tracks sound larger

I've been trying to avoid this thread purely because it makes me want to record the jamz REALLY BAD and my computer is down for the count. I'm waiting for this tax check to clear so I can upgrade my system and FINALLY throw down some heavies!!!

I hope you dont mind but I copied the text to a wordpad file so I can transfer it to my recording computer to read through while tracking ideas. :headbang:
Thank You for putting together amazing information and making my day!!!

anyone know of a good rtas plugin to do these saturation effects?

Also, how do you think vocals should be processed with this technique?

anyone know of a good rtas plugin to do these saturation effects?

Also, how do you think vocals should be processed with this technique?

RTAS? Massey Tapehead

vocals? dpends on what your doing, I think maybe tube or tape saturation could be used as a noticable effect for certain vocal parts, something you hear quite frequently, off the top of my head i just heard that effect in the new slipknot. When I did mixing for a band, I just used it as a coloration and natural compressor.

I would separate the clean tracks and mroe agressive/screaming tracks and color the clean while slighly clipping the screaming or more agressive tracks.

Be sure to use some sort of brickwall compression after that, maybe some tailoring eq and you shouldn't have to do any more than that to the vocal tracks. If they were recorded right that will be all you will need, that is even if you need eq.

Now that just came to mind...I am going to do a part two of this tutorial based on the use of mic preamps, level matching and all that woophlah. SHould be too long in length but should help utilize mic preamps to get a thicker sound.

The tutorial is great and well explained and that voxengo plugin it´s great too. But the final mix is not so great, it sounds closed and keyboards sounds very muffled. I do not hear them clearly.

The tutorial is great and well explained and that voxengo plugin it´s great too. But the final mix is not so great, it sounds closed and keyboards sounds very muffled. I do not hear them clearly.

*sigh* shows how little you read the tutorial and some of the responses a few pages back. I actaully went over that so :kickass:

??? Men I read all the tutorial but not all the topic and what I said it´s just an opinion.

Edit: Ok I heard the last mix and it´s much better.

??? Men I read all the tutorial but not all the topic and what I said it´s just an opinion.

Edit: Ok I heard the last mix and it´s much better.

I have mentioned in this thread that my recording side gear, and virtual instruments are not that great becuase I haven't dropeed that much money into it.

All sounds good but I get phase issues and major loss of crisp top end when using the Tapebus plugin on my drums.

Its a must for bass though, adds so much weight.

All sounds good but I get phase issues and major loss of crisp top end when using the Tapebus plugin on my drums.

Use it on the drum buss. That should eliminate any the phase/high end issues since you're processing all of them.

I had the same problem before trying that

Its a must for bass though, adds so much weight.

if you place an emulator of any sort on a track, your going to have some delay. If you add tape to one track or bus, you have to either adjust your timing on the uneffected tracks or add tape to all the tracks.

I like adding tape to my bus tracks becuase you will have a lot less instances of your tape sim running and killing your CPU.

The secret with drums is tha after you used tape you place an eq after it and bum the highs back up. The cripsness will still be there, you just got rid of the sizzling fizz on the top.

anyone here know of any good free tape emulators?

nope, i am affriad thre aren't any free ones, voxengo analogflux suite is the cheapest solution. They have a free demo which just makes the tracks silent after every so amount of time, but that will go away if you buy the full version. Its $79 or, comes with tape sim, analog delay, convolution processor (analog impulse) and analog chorus.

I highly recommend it.

if you place an emulator of any sort on a track, your going to have some delay. If you add tape to one track or bus, you have to either adjust your timing on the uneffected tracks or add tape to all the tracks.

I like adding tape to my bus tracks becuase you will have a lot less instances of your tape sim running and killing your CPU.

The secret with drums is tha after you used tape you place an eq after it and bum the highs back up. The cripsness will still be there, you just got rid of the sizzling fizz on the top.

Do you buss your cymbals to this bus too or leave them as standard with just the actual kit pieces being treated?