The Mars Volta

Kazoo

Plastic Hummer Device
Mar 13, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
De-loused in the Comatorium: Album of the Year (so far).

Comments?

I know they're much different than motW (and different than most of the other stuff I listen to), but damn, I love this band. Amazing. The last time I ever fell in love with a band's music like this was... well, it was motW. :D

here's my opinion! all written up in a review and all!
http://www.indieworkshop.com/reviews/362/

also, tour dates for mars volta:
http://www.indieworkshop.com/tours/504/
Oct. 3 - Emo's, Austin
Oct. 4 - Engine Room, Houston
Oct. 5 - Gypsy Tea Room, Dallas
Oct. 7 - Mississippi Nights, St. Lous
Oct. 8 - The Granada, Lawrence, Kans.
Oct. 10 - The Quest, Minneapolis
Oct. 11 - Barrymore Theater, Madison, Wiss.
Oct. 13 - Promo West Pavilion, Columbus Ohio
Oct. 14 - Riveria, Chicago
Oct. 16 - Metropol, Pittsburgh
Oct. 17 - Water Street, Rochester, N.Y.
Oct. 20 - 9:30 Club, Washington D.C.
Oct. 21 - Electric Factory, Philadelphia
Oct. 23 - TBA, New York
Oct. 25 - Avalon, Boston

St. Louis! they're coming to St. Louis!
can't believe it.

also, this saturday: my first METAL show in a while.
SYL, Cathedral, Samael, other (can't recall).
SYL are great live, and never seen Cathedral. Samael i can do without, and don't recall the other band. should be interesting.

I got on the guest list for the Cathedral show here somehow, but probably won't be able to go.

i used to LOVE Samael, but would probably be disappointed about seeing em now since I don't think they have live drums again. anyone know?

hm. yeah, i don't know about the live drums. i saw samael 2 times on their last tour here with dimmu borgir and can't recall if they used live drums then or not. i do, however, recall my friend Al being mistaken for Vorphalak by some drunk guy in the parking lot after the show. he asked Al to sign his cd- which he ALMOST did. but the real vorph was like 7 feet away, and we really thought the guy was kidding. he was THAT drunk.

Yeah, the same show is coming near me sometime in the next month, so I'm gonna definitely try to make it. I think it's a Wednesday night or something.

Stultus said:
I can't get around to really liking "Roulette Dares." Should I even try the full album?

Roulette Dares is the worst song on the album, so you may want to check out some other tracks.

Baliset said:
but i think i have my own bias about what is album of the year and it ain't mars volta. :)
B0000AQS8A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

i actually heard this guy do an advertisement for his new record while walking in Kmart yesterday, like especially for Kmart. is that a target market? you guys should seriously think about doing one of those. blue light special on kayo dot at kayo mart.

Our album is totally not better than the Mars Volta album. The Mars Volta album actually sounds like it was worth the hundreds of thousands of dollars it took to make it. I mean, it has this air of sonic professionalism that I've never heard captured on an indie.

i wasn't talking production. i meant just the songs in general. i mean i like our songs more than the mars volta songs is all.

but yes their production is much better and i think they did an amazing job.

alex: yes i'd like to go if you buy tickets.