The Melo-Death Metal Move Is Complete?

Yea Lee, Don't ya know????

Novembers Doom are the IN FLAMES of Chicago!

I don't know if this post was serious or not....

Not sure exactly what is meant.
I guess there are some moments of traditional doom on some earlier material (IE - "Forever With Unopened Eye" from Of Sculptured Ivy....).

Novembers Doom have melody and have some death metal moments, though I would not call them a melodic death band.

Ah, who giveth a fuck! I hate labeling bands by genre.

Look honestly, what difference does it make what kind of label or title you put on it? None of those titles, "doom", "doom/death", "melodic death", etc., really totally fits what we do anyhow. How many songs of ours, like "If Forever", "Through A Childs Eyes", etc., aren't even metal? And even on our more recent albums, you certainly can't say songs like "Dark World Burden" or "Drown The Inland Mere" are 'doom'. But then on those same albums, you have "Leaving This", "Collapse of the Fallen Throe", "Dead Leaf Echo", which certainly don't fit into the 'death metal' category either.

We'll always have doom influences in our music. Some people react as though we've just completely abandoned it and turned into Morbid Angel or Cannibal Corpse, lol. The doom will always be there to some degree, because it's a part of who we are. But it's just that doom isn't ALL that we are. We're just as much influenced by early death metal, thrash metal, and other totally non-metal things like The Doors, Pink Floyd, Joy Division, and hell even shit like Queens Of The Stone Age and Foo Fighters figure in there somehow! We never wanted to be one of those bands who could be easily lumped into any one musical category. Point is, we never ever considered us to be just a "doom" band (and the first person who tries to come back with the whole fact of us having "doom" in our name gets punched in the mouth by me LOL) and we didn't want to ever be considered as merely a doom band by the public either, though that's kinda what happened.

You either like the music we make, or you don't, for whatever reason you have. I think people who love doom and then listen to our new stuff and automatically dislike it because of songs like "Drown..." aren't paying close enough attention, because there's still plenty of other songs and moments on the cd which are very "doom" as well. The next record might have songs that are twice as fast as on "Novella....", and then again, it might have songs which are slow and plodding as well. You never know with us, and that's how we like it. It's nice to have that freedom, even if some people out there can't accept it.

Plus, I don't think Overlord was trying to be insulting or start a fight about any of this with anyone, I think he was just starting a discussion about what people perceive of our current musical "direction", and that's fine. I just want to make it clear that there is no direct "move" towards any particular style, whether it be "melo-death" or "doom" or whatever. With an ND album, you'll always get some new things thrown into the mix, along with the familiar. That's just how we roll. :)

You were dark metal, until Vito joined.
Then you became DORK METAL! :lol:

Just kidding...

All joking aside, I think dark metal is a valid genre to call ND.

In all honesty, I think the poster was trolling, as I saw his post about his movie on multiple threads.

AmidItsHallowedMirthOfSculpturedIvyandStoneFlowersTheKnowingToWelcomeTheFadeThePaleHauntDepartureTheNovellaReservoir;ListenToOurEntireCatalogandSeeThatWeHaveEvolvedOverTimeAndGrowAsABand--Metal... :headbang:

This again?

Damn, people never give up on the labels, who gives a fuck anyway.

Music is music, you like it or you don't.

Funny though, I have a banner on my profile that says Death/doom blahh blaaa, but honestly, in the last 3 years, I have given up on that shit.

I think as a musician it is way too limiting to label your creations too any spacific genre. And, I am sick of scenes and all that crap that is associated with it. Fuck everyone, if people dig your music, cool. ...otherwise, fuck em!
I think any true musician writes music for themselves and not the scene police.

I really don't meant to be a dick and argue with you Paul, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and you're my biggest inspiration as a singer.

But Dark Metal isn't a genre and you can't just go inventing them like that.