The Melo-Death Metal Move Is Complete?

It's no more or less ridiculous than all the other stupid ass sub-sub-genres that've been created.

Furthermore, why can't someone create a new genre? Just because something doesn't already exist doesn't mean it shouldn't or couldn't be created.....it's a damn sight better trying to find a categorization that suits us than people always debating over whether we "belong" in these other categories, lol.

Plus, this is metal, the stupid ass scene that created such ridiculous sayings/words as "kvlt" and "pwns". Splitting hairs over "dark metal" is pointless, haha.

I'm honestly hoping that Det Som Engang Var was being tongue-in-cheek...

"Dark metal was a term first coined by the band Bethlehem with their first album "Dark Metal". Dark metal has evolved from a blackened doom metal sound to a more modern sound that shares characteristics with various extreme metal genres such as black metal, doom metal and gothic metal. A feeling of despair, melancholy, and passionate emotions are usually expressed in this genre. Since its birth in the early 1990s, some bands in the genre have added other elements to their music such as folk music, industrial atmospheres, ambient soundscapes and noise."

I'm honestly hoping that Det Som Engang Var was being tongue-in-cheek...

Haha well I kind of was.

I realize Novembers Doom's last two albums have been much different "and better" than the average death metal album, and that genres are relative it's just that...well they're too closely related to death metal not to be considered death metal of some kind, weather it be melodic, progressive, or what have you. Obviously there are exceptions but for a song like The Pale Haunt Departure, you just can't deny that being death metal of some sort.

Again I don't mean to be disrespectful or argumentative, I'm just a genre whore. I always do this.

Plus I'm very biased against the term Dark Metal since one of the Korn guitarist used it to describe themselves. I mean, Dark Metal can be applied to half the bands in the metal genre.

And "death metal" could technically be applied to alot of the new bands you see on Ozzfest and Headbangers Ball that all the "troo" Death Metal fans claim to hate and say aren't "death metal". Genres and labels suck.

I agree with you to a point....a song like "Pale Haunt Departure" is definitely death metal. So is "Drown The Inland Mere" and many others we do. Do you consider "Twilight Innocence" and "Through A Childs Eyes" to be death metal? Because I sure don't. And that's my point. If this were the case where out of six albums we only had one or two songs that strayed from the "Pale Haunt" song style/formula, then I think a strong arguement could be made in favor of calling us death metal. But we have far too many songs and influences apparent in our music that have absolutely zero to do with death metal, so therefore that categorization just doesn't really work for me. If you read that definition Paul posted above for the term "dark metal", you can at least see how that more closely applies to us. Yes, dark metal is a rather vague, loose term, but I think that just furthers my point that these categories that people try to put us in, or debate over, just aren't really broad enough to properly apply to us.

And I certainly couldn't care less what the guy from Korn labels himself, the term "dark metal" was around before that clown started using it. Many people would say using any form of the term "metal" to describe Korn is a bit blasphemous, excepting perhaps "nu-metal", which is a whole 'nother debate in and of itself, LOL!

Anyhow, I'll call us whatever the fuck I want to, because I can, haha. The scene police can disagree or try to put us elsewhere, I don't care. Many of them still write us off as MDB clones, so we see what bright people they are, eh? lol

I agree with you to a point....a song like "Pale Haunt Departure" is definitely death metal. So is "Drown The Inland Mere" and many others we do. Do you consider "Twilight Innocence" and "Through A Childs Eyes" to be death metal? Because I sure don't.

Of course not, I did say mostly. Ballads are the exception. All I was trying to say was that songs like TPHD and Drown The Inland Mare were death metal and I'm glad you agreed on that.

Anyhow, I'll call us whatever the fuck I want to, because I can, haha.

Yes I know. I can't deter your mind about your own band and I must surely be coming off as a cunt trying to tell you what genre the music you wrote is and I apologize for that.

However if Beyonce called her music black metal would that make it true?

"kind of" :lol:

problem with these sub-genre things is people just put two words out of thin air in order to catergorize a tiny amount of bands. Not only is it annoying, its so damn confusing. Someone telling me the other day that jobforacowboy is 'Death-Core with thrash metal influences'. Why does anyone have to be that specific, its strange why anyone would give a shit.

Of course not, I did say mostly. Ballads are the exception. All I was trying to say was that songs like TPHD and Drown The Inland Mare were death metal and I'm glad you agreed on that.

Yes I know. I can't deter your mind about your own band and I must surely be coming off as a cunt trying to tell you what genre the music you wrote is and I apologize for that.

However if Beyonce called her music black metal would that make it true?

"kind of" :lol:

Naah it's fine man. And that Beyonce bit was rather funny lol

Yknow ultimately, people can call music all these different names and debate over whether it is or isn't appropriate, but they're just gonna have to listen to it and decide whether it's "good" or "bad". My biggest issue with certain people out there is that they'll make that judgement call based purely on what a band has been categorized as, rather than listening to the band first and making their own judgement.

problem with these sub-genre things is people just put two words out of thin air in order to catergorize a tiny amount of bands. Not only is it annoying, its so damn confusing. Someone telling me the other day that jobforacowboy is 'Death-Core with thrash metal influences'. Why does anyone have to be that specific, its strange why anyone would give a shit.

It is strange, but that's us humans! We like to argue over petty things. I'm perfectly happy to put ALL the music I listen to into one genre: music that kicks ass, and it's everything from Pink Floyd to Andy Mckee to Ulver to Novembers Doom. Simple and to the point...:p

Original poster has been owned several times by the band in this thread haha.
Trying to label bands with genres, subgenres, sub-subgenres etc is fucking stupid. Who cares??!

It is strange, but that's us humans! We like to argue over petty things. I'm perfectly happy to put ALL the music I listen to into one genre: music that kicks ass, and it's everything from Pink Floyd to Andy Mckee to Ulver to Novembers Doom. Simple and to the point...:p

Ya im the same. While i dont listen to alot of metal (i still love it but i only listen to a few select bands from time to time) I mean i do agree with genres because you have to classify some things. You know if there was only one genre how would i be able to tell someone the difference with fleetwood mac and lets say meshuggah without them listening to it? Welll anyway i just cant handle the ridiculous classifications of all these modern bands just to try and set them apart from others. Its shallow and contrived to the point where if you describe a bands sound to someone by giving it such a pin pointed sub genre then most wouldnt even give the band a chance because they have previously decided that they dont like that particular combination of metal. but hey whinging aint gunna change shit.

Haha I don't know i would actually watch out if i were you, the scene police can write some hefty tickets. It's a good thing you can see those flamboyant bastards a mile away! :err:

In all seriousness, I believe the original intent of the topic was to address the heavier approach that Novella took. Which I think the biggest difference is a smaller amount of acoustic parts, now whether that changes your genre I don't know, and don't really care. A lot of bands release all acoustic cds, and does that change their genre? I always just call ND progressive death metal if I'm ever describing them to anyone because it's just vague enough to work for me :heh:

I don't even mind "progressive death metal" so much because with the term 'progressive' that tends to open things up more, people can then expect that there's going to be some different elements mixed up in there. I just definitely don't think "melo-death" suits us, to me that conjures up images of bands that I think we have very little in common with.

And I would certainly never call anyone on here a cunt, not without good reason, and certainly wasn't viewing you as such, Det Som...

Thankfully most of the stupid cunts on UM have stayed in other forums besides ours lol