The METALLICA - "Death Magnetic" Thread, here.

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
metallica281.jpg

METALLICA - "Death Magnetic"

I am looking forward to hearing this, as I think most all metal fans are, even just out of curiosity. Two things from my perspective so far...

1) The title. For some reason I'm disapointed that a metal band in their 40's chose to use the word 'death' in their album title. Doing this in your 20's, sure, fine. But for guys of their level of maturity and life experience, I guess I had hoped for a title reflecting a little more life insight and well, maturity. 'Death Magnetic' makes me think that they're trying to have us believe that it can be 1985 all over again (I was 5 in 1985). Is there not more to the life's work of history's biggest metal band than the idea of death? Lastly, those two words don't even sound right next to each other. WTF does it mean? Maybe the lyrics will help make sense of it and the meaning will blow me away...We'll see!

2) The art. A band with such ressources...and this is what they choose. Fuck. Unacceptable. I'm not a graphic designer, but I bet Mike Eyesickle could create something like this in 10 seconds. It just doesn't show much effort and for me, 'effort' is what I want to see at this point! The title says "METAL!" but the art says "I'm afraid to wear a shirt with a skull on it". The first four Metallica album covers all make great, recognizable shirts! If this a return to the old school metal sound or whatever, why can't we have a new PusHead design of something cool! Not just fucking black letters on a grey background. Can you actually imagine a room full of people looking at that cover and saying "Oh yeah, that's the one, were finished here".

There, I'm a fan, and I'm interested in this. :)

Please discuss! :kickass:

(I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm not really interested either way in this album)

Don't you think Metallica trying to recapture 1985 would be better than Metallica trying to recapture, say, 2003?

Yeah, I don't like the title at all. "Magnetic Death" or "Death Magnet" would make more sense, if that was the route they wished to take. But as you say, perhaps there is some concept/meaning behind it that shall be revealed.

The 'artwork' does indeed fail on many accounts. If it can be handled in Paint or Word in 10 seconds, then you know that it isn't good enough. :erk: Hopefully they shall expand on it a bit further and the 'wallpapers' they've releases will be the only things that look this way.

I am hopeful for the new album, really. I don't expect much from it, but as I enjoy all Metallica albums (except St. Anger, which actually got me into metal, but I have moved on from since - although it still has it's merits, I suppose), I hope that there is something here that's worthwhile - even if it shall be Load-esque material, rather than the metal the claim it will be, I'll be happy with it.

I am a big Metallica fan and love every album they have put out (yes even St. Anger) so I am really looking forward to this. I do have to agree that the cover art isn't very good. That doesn't really matter to me though, all that matters is the music that is on the disc.

i've come to the point where i am not really sure what to think. i was surely dissappointed as dave said.. with the album title and artwork. the st anger artwork i thought was horrid.. and the load/reload artwork followed suit. hopefully they will let the music finally do the talkin for them.. first time since '91 where they can keep the fluff simple and let the tunes lead the way

it's hard not to keep hopes up tho. i mean it is still metallica.. creators of some of the most inspirational metal songs of all time

Hmm, dunno what to really think-- I was a ravenous fan from 1985 until 1994, but they've definitely been on a steady decline for many, many years to these ears, so I don't really have any expectations. The art and title? Sure, quite bland and hopefully not indicative of the music within, but...

Still kind of holding out hope for something extremely strong from them-- other monster bands in metal have had major career blips/anomalies (Sabbath-- Technical Ecstasy/Never Say Die!; Priest-- Turbo/Ram it Down/much of the Ripper era; Maiden-- No Prayer for the Dying/Fear of the Dark/much of the Blaze era) but managed to come back with classic/high quality albums. So far I haven't seen this rebound from Metallica...

Cheers to something good, and until then, I'll still be spinning the first 4 albums...
metallicaminot.jpg

metallicasetlist.jpg

While I barely listen to Metallica anymore, I'm interested in this album for sure, and I think it would be great, for them and metal, if they could put out a really intriguing and solid release. I'm not one of those fans hoping for Master of Puppets 2 or anything, and to be honest, if this was like a thrashy hard rock album with long songs, that were done well, sounds good to me. Too many Metallica fans have tunnel vision and don't release this isn't the exact same band of 20 years ago. The title is lame too, but I guess we'll see how it fits into the context of the album.

The expectations for the album are astronomical, it's bound to fail. They haven't done anything worthwhile since Ride The Lightning, and I'm expecting more overly long songs with dull riffs and pointless time changes that made And Justice For All as bad as it was. I know this was all negative, but I can't see these guys doing anything worth listening to.

Yeah, dull riffs and needless time changes all over the place will bring down anything, though the fact that nearly every song is over long and not memorable doesn't help either.

I like how its not not "metal" enough to just hate the black album anymore, people have started trashing justice and puppets, soon enough the only worthwhile metallica will be whatever hetfield played on guitar the first time he ever picked one up.

I gotta admit, the preview riffs on the vids don't sound to amazing to me, the closest thing i compare them to are the heavier tracks on load and reload, such as aint my bitch or fuel.

i'll give the album its fair shake though.

I like how its not not "metal" enough to just hate the black album anymore, people have started trashing justice and puppets
Well, in all fairness to them, that has always been going on to some extent-- I recall there being mixed opinions via readers letters in mags and even among my friends when Puppets came out, and definitely even more when Justice came out.

I like how if you don't felliate "classic" Metallica you must be doing it just to be metal. Get over yourselves, we're not all into third rate thrash.

I like how its not not "metal" enough to just hate the black album anymore, people have started trashing justice and puppets, soon enough the only worthwhile metallica will be whatever hetfield played on guitar the first time he ever picked one up.

Only the first album... wait, no, scratch that. Only the first demo any band ever makes is ever any good...

*facepalm*

Sad mentality people seem to be having these days.