The Military/War Thread

What appeals to you most about the military? I could see you enjoying having an R&D contracting job.

-Structure
-The fact that I would have a purpose or feel useful
-Something I've always wanted to do (duty to your country and all that)
-The fraternity of it all

What kind of R&D?

Yeah, this sort of attitude is a boon for anything. That's how I am; helped me through Marine bootcamp when I was in no shape whatsoever. Helps in graduate school too, because fuck this shit lol. At least bootcamp was only ~3.5 months.

Yeah I just have to get my fitness back. Having a desk job has really fucked me. I'm still really strong but I've gotten a little fat.

I don't have the balls to do SF but I wouldn't want to do an office type job either so I would probably do something with Infantry.

See I wouldn't want want to do regular infantry. Doesn't sound fun at all.

Yeah I just have to get my fitness back. Having a desk job has really fucked me. I'm still really strong but I've gotten a little fat.

See I wouldn't want want to do regular infantry. Doesn't sound fun at all.

Infantry, Communications or Intelligence are probably where I would excel

Intel has always been my second choice. Opens you up for civilian careers with the NSA, CIA etc afterwards too.

-Structure
-The fact that I would have a purpose or feel useful
-Something I've always wanted to do (duty to your country and all that)
-The fraternity of it all

What kind of R&D?

Well, there's not necessarily a lot of fraternity in R&D contract/GS jobs but the physical requirements are less and you get to work with military equipment and usually around a lot of vets. I'm not sure about how other branches handle R&D as much, but the Army has several Proving Grounds which do all sorts of testing and development. I did a year at one operating radar testing ballistic performance for mortars and artillery. Paid ok but just wasn't for me, but was a neat experience.

Well, there's not necessarily a lot of fraternity in R&D contract/GS jobs but the physical requirements are less and you get to work with military equipment and usually around a lot of vets. I'm not sure about how other branches handle R&D as much, but the Army has several Proving Grounds which do all sorts of testing and development. I did a year at one operating radar testing ballistic performance for mortars and artillery. Paid ok but just wasn't for me, but was a neat experience.

I see what you're conveying now. I don't know if I even have the resume to do that type of contracting. Don't they typically want someone with prior military experience?

I see what you're conveying now. I don't know if I even have the resume to do that type of contracting. Don't they typically want someone with prior military experience?

Well that helps a bit, if nothing else than for connections to people in those jobs (I got the job because I had been in the Marines with the guy who let me know about it). Otherwise it's simply do you have the skills and do you interview well. There's all sorts of aspects to military R&D. Your skill set would likely map onto some, just have to find the application websites and be willing to move and/or travel. It's a good option for someone who likes things that go boom etc but has some barrier to going active duty.

Yeah I was concerned about that. I have a college degree so I was considering trying to go straight in as an officer but you can't go to selection as easily that way so idk

infantry officers get auto-sent to RIPP but officers get whatever they want and get way more $. no brainer

That would make me more inclined to go in as infantry tbh. I would probably do the medic route vs. straight infantry though. I forgot to mention that before. Medic would be top choice then intelligence, then communication and finally infantry.

That's cool. Maybe that's the route I should go then. Try to go in as an officer first and then do SF selection afterwards.