The movie "Dark City".....

ingridjensen

from the shadows...
Mar 30, 2002
Kansas City
Hey!
I am sure some of us here have seen "Dark City"? The movie has got to be 5 years old already...I liked that movie alot. When I first saw it, I didnt think I would. Can you all state a general explanation of it...like what your opinion on what the movie was about. I am gonna see if they have the dvd. :headbang:

Urm. I've seen it twice, but the amount that I enjoyed it could probably be accurately measured by the fact that I barely remember anything about it. I remember finding it charmingly original and mind-bending, but not so enough to save it from being, well, boring.

Very dark, very different. To me it calls into question whether humans are creatures with a soul, or if we are just a collection of memories strung together. B.F. Skinner would have been proud, what with his blank slate theory.

Ironically I loved the movie but cannot stand Skinner. Oh well, they aren't one and the same I suppose. :)

This has to be one of the best films of the 1990s in my opinion. It has elements of mystery, sci fi, romance and artistic feel to it.

I was blown away by the ending that I never really saw it coming and I feel Richard O'Brien is the tops in this films. Hey he's great in most of the films he has done.

Originally posted by livingdead_girl
This has to be one of the best films of the 1990s in my opinion. It has elements of mystery, sci fi, romance and artistic feel to it.

I was blown away by the ending that I never really saw it coming and I feel Richard O'Brien is the tops in this films. Hey he's great in most of the films he has done.

I couldn't agree more. A great film. I'd love to own it. It would look great between my Event Horizon and Aliens saga dvd's.

I really enjoyed Dark City. I thought the cinematography and setting were perfect...very dark and gripping. It's easy to become drawn into the film and be left with feelings of paranoia. Very good film that deserves more attention and also deserves credit from The Matrix, which obviously stole elements from Dark City (as well as many other films, especially anime). :)

I liked the idea of a world created and controlled by this dark beings,reminded me of a book I read when I was 12 called "momo" by Michael Ende,did anyone read it?
well when I saw Dark City somehow it reminded me of momo and I liked momo quite a bit

I'm the odd man out, because I thought the film was a directorial nightmare. each scene seems too short, I never felt there was any substance to any scene or the film, the sound quality is rather poor (although maybe that's intentional).
The plot seems borne out of a nice, if unoriginal, idea, and this tries to drive the movie along. In my view it fails.