The Murder on BMD

ernerite

entity of dim mist
Jul 2, 2003
Belarus
www.rainroom.by.ru
Hey, what's your opinion about the Murder theme on BMD? What does Jonas mean with this title? The text on this song is also rather enigmatic and highly obscure... so, ''fallen idol hanged man'' - what does that lead us to think about? (Maybe Jonas has already told about it, but still I've not got chance to catch it)

...And also: is it exactly the same 'murder', which meaning is put into the title of the album - "Brave M u r d e r Day"?

yes, it's enigmatic and obscure indeed.. "Murder" has just a few lyrical lines and they're more veiled and allegorical than most charades Jonas has created... well, it could be mental breakdown and the destroying inner emptiness the character is going through. i don't think he's a "real" murder.. more likely a person killing yourself in a spiritual way and everyone else who's coming closer to him, the absolute devastation of his presence..

Do you mean that we should tell you the actual truth or do you want us to speculate about the lyrics?

I would feel pretty embarassed if I would tell a long story here about it, and then some fuckface joins the discussion and says "Hey, Jonas has actually said this"... Especially since the tough guys on the forum rather harass ppl discussin poetry and feelings... I'll be quite.

Hehe, allright... I hope it's ok if I take it tomorrow or something. I don't feel good at the moment, and it's kinda late for a depressing friday like this...

I believe the title of the song Murder is not referring to the act of killing, but a murder of crows (a flock of crows is called a murder for those who don't know). "Birds escape, mute flock of winds" and then there's of course the dead crow on the cover.

hes just talking about that time he killed that guy in self defence, also the follow up in a way, is the new album, Viva. where he goes into police protection program. God i thought everyone knew that.

Varg- said:
um, i lied.

But seriously though the album is about 'Decay' and dying, and well, murder is a form of dying and decay. i've got a feeling we arent meant to read too much into the album name, it could be that those were the first three songs, and said together it sounded good, so they put that as the title.
im sure i read somewhere though in an interview the band talked about it, but i cant remember.

I also thought it was just the compilation of the three words - the songs' titles, making the title something unregular, and really, really katatonic. Maybe they indeed meant it. But after the just-realeased Brave Yester Days (hey, look inside the title), it seems not so evident, huh.

[To Varg-]: Come on, share your ideas! they'll be appealing, I'm sure.

Maybe the murder is a person,who has driven away himself,trying to quench his own feelings with the choosen loneliness and the construction of world of estrangement ('further into the vast')..this'murder' is trying to create a inner silence and emptiness in himself,but there are too many pictures,within he is losing himself('mute flock of winds')..maybe..

well, i also thought the title is just the combination of the first three songs on the album, and i still remember i read somewhere Jonas' statement about it, yes, it was something like this - they chose it because of its irregularity, its sickly drift, katatonic feeling, etc.
and still.. if you wanna make a time and sense relation between Brave Murder Way and Viva Emptiness in a way (wich is a interesting view i think), i'll suggest to follow out some other related remarks as well... hmm, making a "murder" red line out of it?!
there're really many other related lyric hints in between.. the most evident one is "We Must Bury You"..

@Epistel: privet, Stale/mate, i'm so glad you came..

Drynwhyl said:
yes, it's enigmatic and obscure indeed.. "Murder" has just a few lyrical lines and they're more veiled and allegorical than most charades Jonas has created... well, it could be mental breakdown and the destroying inner emptiness the character is going through. i don't think he's a "real" murder.. more likely a person killing yourself in a spiritual way and everyone else who's coming closer to him, the absolute devastation of his presence..
i am nearly agree with you.
(fallen idol)losing your ideals (hanged man) destroying yourself for creating other ideals to exist and there is nothing to do about it because all gone wrong out of your control maybe the life itself done it (great winds rides the mill further into the vast limits do not exist) and life itself is draging you somewhere unknown
(five day???)god created the world in 6 days :p
(birds escape mute flock of winds one with weather sight is getting dim) at last succeded in destroying yourself(or ideals or really killed yourself) if it is called a success

I think there are many keys of interpretation, from a metaphorical one to a more down- to- earth one... The song displays a bleak and gloomy scenery and I've always got this image of a hanged man (maybe the one who has been murdered because he committed a mysterious crime or something like that) hanging from a mill and the storm of birds also suggests a crowd of birds flying over the hanged man appealed by the rotting corpse...

I find Drynwhyl's insight into this theme the most sensible. It's not flattering to consider that perhaps the title (Brave Murder Day) has no significant meaning other than its obscure portrayal. The entire album is a study in melancholy, and this melancholy can be percieved as the beginning stages of the ultimate decay of the soul. It's just as easy to detect a concept within the first three songs as it is to find no link whatsoever, other than the relation it has to the work as a whole.It's quite possible that Jonas stumbled upon a unifying theme by accident, though I'd like to think otherwise. In any case, it's some of his best work yet.

NP: Ocean Machine - "The Death Of Music"