The new Amon Amarth Sound.

Hansa-Pils

German Beer
Jun 8, 2009
German, Ruhrpott supermarket
Hi guys, i just want to say, that me as a long time Amon Amarth fan, im very disappointed of the new AA sound, because its no longer death metal.

The first album i´ve ever heard from aa was Versus the world back in 2003 and that album was like an explosion to me, my neck didn´t want to stop. :)
Then i heard the older stuff like osftgh the crusher and their masterpiece avenger which where also really great, and even the fate of norns release was good, okay, the production was´nt the best, but it still was a good death metal album.

But today i miss the rawness and brutality in the newer releases, because the sound is to transparent for me, and on the current release it sound`s like power-metal with death metal vocals, it is not more the sound that once brought me to metal and for what i once loved the band for.

So, what´s your opinion about that?

btw.: i hope my english is good enough, because its not very often that german beers post something in a forum.

Tbh if the last two sound like power metal you need to get your ears checked. AA have moved away from their earlier style. However, they still undeniably play death metal. Plain and simple. Just because the sound is squeaky clean doesn't make it not death metal.

How? Have you ever heard power metal? On the typical power metal release the guitars are nowhere near as thick, nor are they drop-tuned 3 whole steps.

The new releases aren't as vicious as the older stuff, but they are sometimes MORE brutal, at least to my ears. I agree with you that the sound has been cleaned up, starting with Fate of Norns, but I personally like FoN, WOoOS, and TotTG the most out of all their stuff. It's certainly NOT power metal, not even close.

How? Have you ever heard power metal? On the typical power metal release the guitars are nowhere near as thick, nor are they drop-tuned 3 whole steps.

Of course i know what power metal sounds like and in my opinion the current release sounds like power metal, im not a music professional, but i know what i hear.

In an Interview Johan sayed that he thinks that actually they sounded like an classic heavy metal band with death metal vocals, and i think that power metal and classic heavy metal are very close to each other, because i listen to several kinds of metal, so i know what i say/write.;)

I could be way off here..but when I think of power metal I think of bands like Dragonforce....and yeah personally I hear no similar sound there. Although I will admit WOoOS was the first AA album I heard and there is a sound difference between that and Once Sent... which did take me a couple days to warm up to. But in the end its still all good to listen to

I equate power metal with Iced Earth. I do not hear Iced Earth in Amon Amarth's music, sorry...But as to the music being less hardcore than before, I completely agree. But in a sense, it's more melodic and serves it's cause as a money maker. They took a great concept, made some awesome riffs, and did what everyone else does. Make the hook, fall back onto said hook for the entire song.

Needs more variety in the riffs, guys. Doesn't mean you have to make more than one hook per song, just modify. SHOW US WHO IS THUNDER GOD FUCKING AMON AMARTH :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

wait for the interview :)

"We have ourselves always primarily seen as a death metal band, as an melodic death-metal-band to be exactly, but today we sounded more a bit like a classic heavy-metal-band, with although deeper tuned guitars and death metal vocals, but nevertheless hahaha, we are just amon amarth and how others label us, is rather all the same to me"!

its from an interview that johan gave to the german metal webzine metal.de.
i´ve translated it because its only available in german.

http://www.metal.de/stories.php4?was=story&id=1368

Equating power metal with either Iced Earth or Dragonforce is fallacious. There are two principle styles.

There's the more european power metal that uses keyboards and is gay and awesome.

and there's the true manly US power metal.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAoT7h4Q51A&feature=related[/ame]

Both are awesome. Neither sound the faintest bit like Amon Amarth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see what you mean, but its still death fucken metal... no doubt, there are some parts that sound a little Power Metalish, like the solo from TotTG. but the songs itself are still death. Melodic, and sometimes really earcatchy, but I dont see that as a bad thing.
it mainly the Production that got "better" its more detailed and louder, but the rawness got lost a little. which I dont see as a bad thing either. I kind of prefer the heavier sound than the old Production... WOOOS sound about perfect to my ears... TotTG is too loud and too much "BOOM"... dont know how to call it other ^^ Im guessin you get what I mean.

btw. its rare that a german beer posts... but not all that rare people under the influence of german beer postin... :lol::kickass:

I see what you mean, but its still death fucken metal... no doubt, there are some parts that sound a little Power Metalish, like the solo from TotTG. but the songs itself are still death. Melodic, and sometimes really earcatchy, but I dont see that as a bad thing.
it mainly the Production that got "better" its more detailed and louder, but the rawness got lost a little. which I dont see as a bad thing either. I kind of prefer the heavier sound than the old Production... WOOOS sound about perfect to my ears... TotTG is too loud and too much "BOOM"... dont know how to call it other ^^ Im guessin you get what I mean.

btw. its rare that a german beer posts... but not all that rare people under the influence of german beer postin... :lol::kickass:

I even missed the doom metal elements and the more varied singing in the new sound, it always has aa make something special according to all other bands of that genre.:)

but now i think they sound a bit like ensiferum, which for me sound like power metal with death metal growling.

once sent from the golden hall still remains a classic.

i agree.