The new Amon Amarth Sound.

I ment the more quiter part in Live for the Kill (violin, not particularly metal)

That was a guest musician from Apocalyptica. I actually thought that part didnt sound too bad.

How dare you say that Apocalyptica isn't metal... Shame on you.

tbh Apocalyptica isnt metal. Just because they have done cover songs of Metallica and ocassionally have a few emo metal guest singers doesnt automatically make them metal.

If you think about it Amon Amarths sound hasnt really changed that much. The production has just gotten much better. They have become more popular so they are getting more money so they can afford to make higher quality albums. If you that pisses you off then you shouldnt have bought their albums or gone to any of their shows and they would have stopped making music ages ago and then we wouldnt be wasting time arguing about the fact that they are still making music. When bands get this popular they always do at least one album with high production just because they can. Dimmu Borgir is a good example. Im personally hoping for a rawer sound on dimmu's and aa's next albums.

Modern Dimmu has its moments, but if you think that Enthrone Darkness Triumphant sounds anything like their last 4 albums then you need yer head checked.

Modern Dimmu has its moments, but if you think that Enthrone Darkness Triumphant sounds anything like their last 4 albums then you need yer head checked.

I think its their last 2 albums that dont sound like EDT. I never said i thought they sounded similar so i dont know where you got that from. If anything, i was going to say that you would be hard pressed to find similarities between EDT and In Sorte Diaboli.

What do you think about Twilight of the Thunder God?
It is a good Album. And bands change there style by the time. But i miss something. The brutality and the sound of the older EPs. The 'garage sound'. I would by a new Album with tracks like Abandoned(I read, that AA think, that it is a bad song.... it's one of my favorites.), Without Fear and Eyes of Horror. Thats, what I wish for the future. A mixture of the old 'power' and the new... 'harmony' ? Amon has the skills to make it. So please, try it:) See it as a petition or something like that.:kickass:

Magi, I so have to agree with you. I miss the old raw sound. I like TOTTG, but it most certainly not one of my favorite albums. Not to say it is not well written, well harmonized but the old OSFTGH sound is more to my liking. I know if any band can pull off and album that is a combination of the two sounds, it's AA! :headbang::headbang:

Magi, I so have to agree with you. I miss the old raw sound. I like TOTTG, but it most certainly not one of my favorite albums. Not to say it is not well written, well harmonized but the old OSFTGH sound is more to my liking. I know if any band can pull off and album that is a combination of the two sounds, it's AA! :headbang::headbang:

QFT.

I just can't get over the Sorrow Throughout the Nine worlds EP. Even in terms of lyrics I find it more mature then the other albums (don't get me wrong though, AA lyrics are always pretty cool). Its probably the AA album I listen to the most. TOTTG is an improvement compared to the previous two in my opinion, which were the weakest of the AA albums.
Yeah I miss the raw sound but hell, apparently most people caught on with the latest albums so good for them.

Eyes of Horror wasn't written by AA and doesn't even sound like them at all.
The songs mentioned were never on EPs; I think the OP meant LPs. Essentially, Once Sent - Versus. These albums had a distinctly rawer production style and musically had a much greater focus on trem-picked melodies rather than the chuggy power chord riffs that dominate FoN - Twilight.
I agree. The older albums were epic in ways that the newer ones simply are not. There's never going to be anything like The Sound of Eight Hooves or Victorious March or Without Fear or Amon Amarth or The Last With Pagan Blood or Death In Fire or A Thousand again.

Still, the new Amon Amarth sound, while nowhere near as good as the old, is still pretty damn good. With Oden On Our Side is a fucking badass album. Twilight is ultimately a little too soft for it's own good, but they still throw down some powerful shit and Johan sounds better than ever. I wish they'd put out album after album of the old sound, but if you think about it, they did. They did four albums in that style loaded with classic songs; more would be great but honestly what we have is enough.

Does not incorporate nearly enough slow, heavy, brutal pagan style riffs like the previous sound

Does not incorporate nearly enough slow, heavy, brutal pagan style riffs like the previous sound

That made me laugh a bit considering that what old pagans probably listened to didn't sound particularly heavy and brutal:tickled:

I know what you mean though....but I am still definitely a fan of most things by AA :) :headbang:

Just to add my 2 cents;

I like all their albums, some songs more than others, but in the end I can listen to all their albums over and over. That aside, it's also good to watch a band shift style and experiment and discover new options.

Without it we'd get something closer to PoP (same old shit over and over), and any band will listen to their fans as part of the equation and refine everything into their newest album. Who knows though but I reckon we'll hear their new stuff soon and I look forward to another round :headbang::headbang:

They're also heading back downunder :OMG:

Personally I have no problem whatsoever with Twilight Of The Thunder God’s sound. Quite contrary. The older albums’ final sound-mix seems of poorer quality. Johan’s vocals are rawer and more unpolished, so to speak. I guess that’s the sign of time.
Obviously, the band got more experienced since the days of “The Arrival of the…” and “Sorrow throughout…”. Up to “Versus the World”, they were playing more pure death/grindcore in my opinion then melo-death.

WeAreInFlames said:
Still, the new Amon Amarth sound, while nowhere near as good as the old, is still pretty damn good. With Oden On Our Side is a fucking badass album. Twilight is ultimately a little too soft for it's own good…

That’s purely a matter of taste. I think that from the “Versus the World”, the sound is way better. The vocals are better and the melo-death material is better composed. To be honest, I wonder sometimes that fans are finding “Twilight of the…” album a kind of sign for “weakening the signature”, so to speak. Tracks like “Where Is Your God?”, “No Fear For The Setting Sun” and mostly the title-track are fantastic tours of force. They’re still awesome in any respect IMO.

As I’ve mentioned above, I think that the whole sound-engineering process is better, without destroying their sound. Yes, the last album is more commercial. But I love it. I believe that there’s a reason why they wrote the material in this way. And one of the reasons might be an effort to further distance themselves from other melo-death bands.

But what the heck I’m talkin’ about. ALL AA is fantastic!! :headbang: