The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

I'm pretty sure it said amazon.com in the 'sold by' field (not sure if it makes any difference).

It does.

For instance: 3rd party never ships for free after a certain amount (or at least I never encountered that).

We need proof to be amazed :cool:

I had my last day of school today. I will have exams in math on Friday, Business and Law next Monday, English on the Friday next week and an oral exam in Biology on the 27th of May. Wish me luck. Or don't. I won't need it anyways :heh:.

Good luck with that. You'll find that they're really just normal exams, a bit longer than what you're used to. A lot of fuzz about nothing new really.

I will wish you luck, on the condition that during the English exam on Friday you manage to use the word "monocle" for whatever reason (none, most likely) and get away with it.
Judith's brother did that with his friends a lot, they'd pick random words to put into their essays. Sometimes they were really random, I mean how do you put "helicopter" in a philosophical essay? ;)
A shame I cant say I ever did anything comparably funny in my exams :(

Judith's brother did that with his friends a lot, they'd pick random words to put into their essays. Sometimes they were really random, I mean how do you put "helicopter" in a philosophical essay? ;)

A club could easily be founded on this premise, provided every member writes somewhere semi-public on a regular basis...

On this note, I shall hereby reveal a shameful secret of my heart: I often dream of creating a "Library Treasure Hunt" where some unsuspecting - but clever - customer follows a series of clues from book to book by finding specific words (marked by yours truly) giving hints to other words and so on, to eventually reveal... fabulous yet incredibly inexpensive prizes, I guess.

:erk: You can laugh.

Thanks to Rhavin and Taliesin and I will try to get a monocle into the test. It is just about a third (or was it a fourth?) of the grade that determines where and what I will I be able to study anyways.

@ Rhavin's dream:
You could do that here on the forum.
1. People sign up for the game.
2. You post a link to a text on the internet (or a downloadable .pdf, .txt or .doc file) and you post a riddle or something similar that hints at one specific word in the text.
3. The participants PM their solutions to you. You don't tell them though who is right and who is wrong, it increases the suspense if you don't know if you are still in or out.
4. You post another text and a riddle which can only be solved with the help of the word from the first riddle.
5. Goes on and on like that until only one of the answers PMed to you is still right, then you post the winner. You don't have to give a prize to the winner even if you promised. At least that is how some people here do it. :cry:

edit: almost forgot:
:erk: You can laugh.
:D:D:tickled::devil::lol:

At least that is how some people here do it. :cry:

Gee, you're still bitter about that, aren't you? :p

Anyway, I know I could do it the way you suggested, but I like the part in my version where nobody actually signed up, nobody even knows there's a treasure hunt going on and maybe even one year from now one random reader picks up the first clue and starts looking for the rest. I guess I should get off my butt and just write a story about it or something.

It is just about a third (or was it a fourth?) of the grade that determines where and what I will I be able to study anyways.
Got any plans yet? Because my own grade was less than phenomenal and never prevented me from doing anything anyway.
It's only for psychology, medecine, phar_macy and the likes that you need really good grades, really good meaning 1,3 or better, which I wasnt even dreaming of anyway ;)
If you're not aiming for a grade that good, dont overly pressure yourself. The a-level grade is surprisingly insignificant once you're studying, you'll see.

Not any specific plans. I will start my "Zivildienst" (For non-Germans: Every German mal has to do either 9 months of social work or serve in the military for 9 months) in a hospital on July 1st and after that I will probably go to a university. Currently looking at international business but nothing has been decided yet. As for the grade: There is a Global Business Management course in Augsburg which looks tasty and they don't have a definite numerus clausus (means a minimum grade is needed for taking it), but the better the grade the higher the chances are to get one of the about 50 places. For that course also experiences abroad, language knowledge, etc. are important which shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I am currently at 2.28.

edit:
dont overly pressure yourself

Nah, I am too lazy to pressure myself. I don't think anyone ever got a grade that good with so little learning.

9 months of civil service? Lazy git, I did 10!
July is pretty early, too. I started in october :D

You're at 2,28, that's not that bad, I finished with a 2,6 ;)
You can dramatically change your overall grade with your last exams though, my friend had 13, 14 and 15 in his written exams which boosted his grade by 0,5. Admittedly, the grade does count when there's too many applications for too little slots. I guess I was lucky there are too little engineering students already, and everyone's trying to recruit more.
The work/success ratio is always important though ;) Without exageration, Ive been working for every exam at the university as much as Ive worked for my entire a-levels. My mates and I still joked that we lived by the phrase "Do less, achieve more!" :D I'll have that tattoo'd somewhere at some point probably ;)

hehe, the only thing i ever did was trying to write all the essays for the religion class without using the sentence "i think that" because i didnt believe in god. So i always wrote " the christians think that...". :Smug:

This class was boring, we always had to read texts and then find out what the christian people think, what their "philosophy" is. As long as you knew what the teacher wanted to hear, and wrote that, you always got an A.
I would have liked it more if we spoke about the historical context of the religion, and how it started,...

9 months of civil service? Lazy git, I did 10!
July is pretty early, too. I started in october :D

You're at 2,28, that's not that bad, I finished with a 2,6 ;)
You can dramatically change your overall grade with your last exams though, my friend had 13, 14 and 15 in his written exams which boosted his grade by 0,5. Admittedly, the grade does count when there's too many applications for too little slots. I guess I was lucky there are too little engineering students already, and everyone's trying to recruit more.
The work/success ratio is always important though ;) Without exageration, Ive been working for every exam at the university as much as Ive worked for my entire a-levels. My mates and I still joked that we lived by the phrase "Do less, achieve more!" :D I'll have that tattoo'd somewhere at some point probably ;)

we dont have any grades written on our final school certificate in Belgium.

Probabily a good thing, they would have laughed at me because i am studying something were i have quite a lot of maths and i had really ridiculous grades at school (i had what was required to pass, not more). I was always too lazy to do extra exercices, and never learned efficently.
I am seriously getting too much stress with every exam at the university, i never had this problem in school :err:. At least i managed to work a bit more after every class, i hope it will help me for the exams.

Oh by the way, i probabily wont be able to the my math exam this semester because i failed the one for the first class last semester (a stupid rule that only exist for the people who study materials science/engineering). And there isnt even an exam for the first math class this summer so i will have to wait till next february to take it o_O . i will have forgotten everything by then if i dont take the class once more next semester. i hope it will fit in my schedule.

We used to do that in secondary school quite a lot, but for some reason all I can really remember is being forced to put "circumambulate" and "smörgåsbord" into an English literature essay. It was great fun though. Since then I've mainly been doing chemistry with a side of maths, so the opportunities are slim to none. In fact I've almost forgotten what "essay" actually means, which is nice. :p

I have finished the hardest test today. I wrote 16 pages for Business and Law. It went well though, just like math last Friday. Coming Friday will be English which should be a cakewalk in the park. The only hard thing about it will be to get the word monocle in. Biology (oral) on May 27th shouldn't be too hard either. Today I spent my first day at the local lake with friends. Summer is on its way.

@Matse: I don't remember if i already wished you for your exams, so good luck. Maybe using a metaphor will help with monocle. Good luck with that too. May the power be with you.

I am sure you have but thank you very much nevertheless. I will probably just put in something about the stereotypical English gentleman with monocle, top-hat and morning coat. There is always room for that in an English essay.

It is called the force btw if you wanted to quote Star Wars here. "May the force be with you"

Little story for the others:
On German TV George Lucas was asked what the central sentence of Star Wars was so he answered "May the force be with you". The translator misunderstood the sentence so he translated "On May the fourth we'll be with you".