The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

@hyena: no, it's because i was endlessly having awesome sex all night. :p j/k, i was walking around athens for two days, under the scorching sun in a heat wave. ;)

@hyena: all rights reserved. if you want a license to use it, you will have to buy me a beer. :p

will do. if i buy you a bottle of good wine, do i get dibs on new good t-shirt designs? :D

sure. a bottle of good wine will make me do anything. especially after consumption.

@DoC: a good short vacation is sometimes better than a good long one. well, not really, but you get my point. :p a good short time is often more refreshing and gets remembered more.

@Siren: I agree. But that being said, right now as I'm about to depart for school again (quite literally this time) I'd take any sort of vacation then have to deal with moving in again. There shouldn't be as many people this time, but it is ridiculous just the same...

So anybody get to travel over the summer? I realize not all of you (or even most) are students and therefore don't have that clearly-defined break period (though don't you guys in Europe have that one month long standard vacation time somewhere around this time of year?), but I'm curious. Or at the very least, trying to inspire conversation.

(though don't you guys in Europe have that one month long standard vacation time somewhere around this time of year?)

Are you kidding? One month? I managed to take a couple of weeks off and I'm feeling way too satisfied with myself to listen to this nonsense. :p

Anyway, my girlfriend and I went first to Germany then to Denmark. In Germany we went to see the M'era Luna festival (south of Hannover) with hyena, while later just the two of us visited Copenhagen. Sight-seeing pleasures aside, I can only remark on the fact that very few Germans seem to be willing to interact with tourists in English, even in populated cities or in airports, and that Danes - while on the whole putting up with it more graciously - are really not very friendly with strangers either. I can't remember the last time I went abroad and actually didn't have a chance to strike up a conversation with some random stranger for the entire length of the trip. I remember Swedes are a much friendlier people, and it's probably no coincidence that during this whole week we only exchanged pleasantries with a couple of young Swedes we met on a train.

@doc: fair bit of travelling for me this summer, but all work and almost no play. after a whirlwind conference tour in various middle-of-nowhere locations in my country, i was in boston for the NBER meetings, then i was in london for about four weeks - with a weekend in Germany as rahvin mentioned - and now i'm at the bank of finland until friday. i squeezed in some leisure touring as well, but i'll be happy if i don't see a plane for at least one month, especially as i need to undergo tricky surgery in 2 weeks or so and i'll need to stay home for a while.

next trip planned is a weekend in my hometown around sept 28 for my father's anniversary mass, then the female metal vocalist festival in belgium, then the forum meeting. i am looking into the possibility of a trip to new york with the rahvin family, but my boss has already told me to fuck off pre-emptively so it's probably a no-go. :(

I was in the hospital till the end of July playing with my psych/sick patients, then i went to Athens shortly where i had an awful time and then came back. Then i went to Skiathos for a week (i should probably post a picture or two), which was very refreshing and great and showed me that not all people suck, then back here and i just spent the weekend in Athens playing tour guide. Now i have to study, but at least i feel i had enough of a break. :)

By the way, if anyone knows anything about copyrighting ideas (more specifically for comic strips), please drop me a line.

DoC, rahvin: I heard that too. I took you Europeans for luxuriously-long-vacation-having samamamitches.

Up until the early nineties I believe it was common for certain types of workers (the assembly line kind, I'd say) to have the month of August off because most major companies used to shut down production completely in that period. Maybe that's where the notion spread from. However, you can easily imagine how said people ended up with a lot of time and not enough money to make much of it.
It doesn't happen anymore, anyway.

yeah, thank you. it's actually a pretty stupid variety, if one excludes a boring fortnight with stitches in my back i shouldn't have any dramatic consequence. just major annoyance and ugly to look at, but i'm in finland anyway, so it's not as if i'm walking around in a swimsuit. :)