The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

Buy anything fancy lately? I know you can't go a whole week without slightly raising your standard of living?

Got like 40 PC games on a blowout sale in FYE (practcally free), need a bigger room and a bigger closet and more space for shoes, a bigger fridge, a separate one for alcohol, a bigger apartment, a bigger city or at least an opportunity to travel across the border and back.

Guess I'll be flying out to different US cities on weekends while I can :kickass:

My newest PC is gona cost me $2500.

FUCK.

need a bigger room and a bigger closet and more space for shoes, a bigger fridge, a separate one for alcohol, a bigger apartment, a bigger city or at least an opportunity to travel across the border and back.

Welcome to the club, I decided to start downloading music again, just cos
I don't have space to store it all.

My newest PC is gona cost me $2500.

FUCK.

Good for you, my new one cost me $4600+ of course I live in a country
that is not fucked by the dollar value that much ;)

It's a Dell XPS m1730 in case you care.

I just found out I have to re-encode about 40-50 CDs due to using the
wrong bit rate on them before.

Oh well, it's Miller time :kickass:

Good for you, my new one cost me $4600+ of course I live in a country
that is not fucked by the dollar value that much ;)

It's a Dell XPS m1730 in case you care.

I was thinking about building my own this time:

+ EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard
+ Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W
+ OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel
+ EVGA 896-P3-1266-AR GeForce GTX 260 FTW Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready (clocked at 666, one for now)
+ Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
+ LG Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Black SATA

Maybe another drive, another video card, 24" monitor (was thinking of 4, as long as it's SLI, 6 eventually with the addition of 3rd card).

Well, I'm getting the new iPhone this Friday if ATT doesn't screw me over.

Well, my giant of a laptop arrived today, now I have to move everything from this
desktop machine on to it and I still need to get an external case for my 500GB HDD
that is on this machine. The only thing I hate about moving to the laptop is that I
will lose my dual 19" monitor setup.

Of course since it's a laptop it comes with pre-installed Windows Vista Ultimate,
which means I will also have to re-install it right away to get rid of the extra bloat
they always put on them. But my first impression on the machine is good, it's real
fucking heavy, but it's not supposed to be a "laptop" as much as it's meants as a
desktop replacement. It also has way too many fucking leds in it, but luckily at
least some of them can be turned off.

@Plintus: The specs for your comp look awesome. I would remind you to get a PSU that can handle all that (but that shouldn't be too hard), and that if you were on a budget, the ATi 4870HD is probably the best performance-per-dollar card. If money isn't an object, and it likely isn't, I'd recommend the 280 GTX SLi, but that's a homer pick (probably around $1000 for both cards).

Also enjoy paying for that ridiculous data package with your new iPhone. Again though, money is likely not a problem you bastard. :rolleyes: :D

Also, get a bigger place. I heard you could probably buy out a floor in the new Comcast HQ, right? :p

@Plintus: The specs for your comp look awesome. I would remind you to get a PSU that can handle all that (but that shouldn't be too hard), and that if you were on a budget, the ATi 4870HD is probably the best performance-per-dollar card. If money isn't an object, and it likely isn't, I'd recommend the 280 GTX SLi, but that's a homer pick (probably around $1000 for both cards).

Also enjoy paying for that ridiculous data package with your new iPhone. Again though, money is likely not a problem you bastard. :rolleyes: :D

Also, get a bigger place. I heard you could probably buy out a floor in the new Comcast HQ, right? :p

I'd go with ATI, but I always been with nVidia, plus there are several complaints (noise, heating) about new Radeons.

I'm not building that monster yet, but if necessity occurs - that's what I'm ultimately getting. 800W PSU at least, plus need a good case with fans and hopefully will be able to avoid liquid cooling.

Just got a Chaintech 9600 GT 512 MB DDR3 clocked at 700 MHz (735-one had RAM bundled with it, great deal, but I don't need DDRII ATM), it's $150 (-30 MIR) against $249 card I've got last year, performance is comparable to an older 1GB 8800 (9600 is a few fps lower). Now just need to stick that Wolfdale into my Dell, and I'll be good for now :D

As of iPhone: I'll be paying just $10 more than I'm paying now, but I'm cutting my minutes in half - I hardly use them (I have 7500 rollover minutes, and all I've beem using were SMS and data (ALOT)).

Comcast is cool, but I'm moving out of this city.

I'd go with ATI, but I always been with nVidia, plus there are several complaints (noise, heating) about new Radeons.

I for one hate nVidia, mainly cos their drivers are utter shit compared to ATi
ones, they have no theater mode (apparently due to Vista compatibility, which
is bullshit since ATi has it in Vista) and for some reason when I run this system
in SLI, I can't extend my desktop to an external monitor, but that might be Dell
issue too. The funniest part is, they don't have drivers for my 8800GTX mobile
chipset, which I find puzzling to say the least, they have one for 8700 tho.
Had to get Dells drivers for this laptop and I definetly don't like that (OEM
drivers are mostly shit).

As for heat/noise, I specifically went with ATi 2 years ago cos they had a fairly
powerful card with passive cooling and at the time nVidia had those turbines
that sound like an airplane taking off.

what is wrong with me today?! i let the dinner totally burn 2 times in a row, that usually never happens... :err:

The pleasures of getting old and demented ;)

P.S. Can someone tell me why the quick reply box is full screen width and the
real reply box is like 400x400 pixels or something?

As for heat/noise, I specifically went with ATi 2 years ago cos they had a fairly powerful card with passive cooling and at the time nVidia had those turbines that sound like an airplane taking off.

Yeah, that's been a while ago, now newer HDs are supposedly louder than 260/280. And hotter.

Heard complaints about Crossfire drivers (and SLI, I think), but wasn't it also years ago?

So far it's just matter of preference (I didn't have bad experience with nVidia for years on several cards/chipsets) as long as we are not talking hundreds of dollars in price difference.

Also - what with nVidia's claim, that new 260/260 work faster with video (de/encoding, look up on the site), applications and stuff? ATi has the same deal on their enw crards or what?

P.S. Can someone tell me why the quick reply box is full screen width and the
real reply box is like 400x400 pixels or something?

You can expand that one by clicking on the arrows pointing down on the top right corner, beside the "switch editor mode" button. Cue laughter if this is a mod only option, of course. I think the box stays the way you set it.

Also - what with nVidia's claim, that new 260/260 work faster with video (de/encoding, look up on the site), applications and stuff? ATi has the same deal on their enw crards or what?

Well, what I heard recently was that nVidia had to drop the price of the 260
cos a cheaper card from ATi was performing almost as good and by cheaper
I mean around $100 cheaper. I'll see if I can dig that story up, I think it was
in the last 2 weeks or so.

You can expand that one by clicking on the arrows pointing down on the top right corner, beside the "switch editor mode" button. Cue laughter if this is a mod only option, of course. I think the box stays the way you set it.

Well, all I can say is :lol:

Well, what I heard recently was that nVidia had to drop the price of the 260 cos a cheaper card from ATi was performing almost as good and by cheaper I mean around $100 cheaper. I'll see if I can dig that story up, I think it was in the last 2 weeks or so.

I read it too, and ATi cards look quite better in terms of specs and pricing... well, for $100 more you get 896MB with 448 bit interface on GTX 260 against 512MB 256 interface.

The article (older Radeon is faster than younger GTX - well, DUH, it's 750MHZ vs 625MHZ clock for starters, but I'll just stick to the tests):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-4870,1964.html

Different results in different applications. I'd still go with GTX260 (just $25 more per card). BTW, how do processing cores (192 in 260) compare to ATi's processing units (800)?

@Plintus: Generally the 8000 was better while it was current. The 9000 series is outperformed by the 4800 series for a similar price. However, though more expensive, the GTX 200 series performs slightly better than the 4800 ATi cards. However, like I stated before, in this current generation the 4800 series is best for price-to-performance.

Ironically, I always thought ATi had more driver problems than nVidia, hence the almost constant (instead of quarterly) updates. That being said, nVidia has more driver hangups that ATi according to a Microsoft pie graph that circulated.

I'd love to get a 4870 but I lack the cash - even though a good card is between 300-350$. Unfortunately it also requires two six-pin connectors from the power supply, and my current 500w power supply only has one, so I would also have to invest in a new and better power supply. I don't have the cash.

The 9000 series is outperformed by the 4800 series for a similar price.

False (about the price).

I'll try to compare apples to apples here (512 MBs cards). I just went to Newegg and found the cheapest card for all three 4850, 4870 and 9600 GT.

Here are the results:

Cheapest 512MB HD4850 - $188 ($168 after MIR):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261018

Cheapest 512MB HD4870 - $294:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113

Cheapest 512 9600GT - $120 ($110 after MIR):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814186037

Mine is here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814145152

Check the clock for each card - HD4850 is slower, 4870 is 3 times more expensive, and mine is running at 715 MHz (says 700 on the site, 650 in the manual). You can't beat that price, no, sir.

I'm quite happy with 9600GT so far: CoD4 1680x1050 ALL HIGHEST runs smoothly in multiplayer with 39 other nutcases, I manage to be in top 5; Crysis in 1280x1024 medium settings 4xAA is 40-20 FPS (20 at intense battles), <40 in the jungle (I'm running Pentium D dual core at 3.0GHz and 3 GB of RAM).

All for slightly more than a hundred bucks.