The new chat thread - now with bitter arguing

@hilj: :lol:

nf: cold. it's eight degrees outside, and note that i'm living in rome, not canada. this means that our environment-friendly mayor has forbidden the use of heating until november 1st, which is normally all well and good, but not when winter randomly arrives at the end of october. rahvin, i definitely hope that the show next sunday is not open-air, otherwise we'll need an igloo. just in case, try and bring one. :p

Yeah, it's getting chilly a bit earlier than I'm used to up here as well. Though by far the greatest change is the difference in light - could just be my memory, but the daylight seems way shorter than it should, even considering the move north.

~kov.

rahvin, i definitely hope that the show next sunday is not open-air, otherwise we'll need an igloo. just in case, try and bring one. :p

The show's on monday, but yeah. However, it should rain in the week-end and the temperatures might go up as a result. We'll be either wet or cold, I'm afraid.

Edit: Looks like we'll be warm and dry after all... http://www.stazionebirra.it/locale.html

Well, following that link, my quick glance at the site ignored the actual name of the place, apparently. I was sitting there pondering the likelihood of a club called The Club. Wouldn't surprise me, but still seemed funny.

And Hyena, I've been known to turn on the AC at that temp outside. And I <i>do</i> mean the temperature-lowering kind.

~kov.

(To explain, my studio apartment a few years back had little to no ventilation, and the only window you could open was occupied by my AC unit. I was right above the boiler room, and so my place would be a good 85F in December. That's a bit warm for me to go to sleep to, so I'd turn on the AC to get some ventilation. Needless to say, when the fiancee found out, she flipped out. The good part was that when it got REAALLY cold out, I could put my clothes on the hot spot on the floor 15 mins before going out, and I'd bake while running around in the snow.)

@rahvin: monday? srsly? :p eh well, monday it is then. and yeah, i checked out the club page as well (not accurately enough to understand the actual date tho), hooray for indoors shows.

I can't stand low temperatures. I've been freezing my butt off here as well, and we currently have around 14C outside and 19C inside the house. As a result i've turned on my A/C and i sleep a lot (hibernation, anyone?). Thankfully we'll put the carpets soon, so i won't fear getting out of my room anymore.
Funnily enough, i'm the only one who goes around outside in early morning without jackets or thick blouses.

by the way, i am in such pain that i might cry. the curse of weightlifters the world over, ie a bad back, is made worse by the cold, which stiffens muscles throughout the day, and by the constant hobbling on cobblestones with a scooter. :(

Well, following that link, my quick glance at the site ignored the actual name of the place, apparently. I was sitting there pondering the likelihood of a club called The Club. Wouldn't surprise me, but still seemed funny.

On the other hand, you have to admire the cleverness of calling it "the beer station". You know, it's just like a regular station (except without trains or real tracks or passengers or ticket machines or...) but for beer. No, I don't have something in my eye, thank you, I'm just winking like mad. Did I say "beer" already?

@hyena: maybe you could take a painkiller?

i'm so so sleepy. and i have to study like mad for tomorrow. pft.

i'm so so sleepy. and i have to study like mad for tomorrow. pft.

I feel your pain. I have a speech worth about 20% of my grade to be delivered tomorrow. Blarg. At least its an approachable topic (video game creation). Juvenile, I know, but I certainly can talk about it for seven minutes. I've dealt with worse, longer speeches, just not one worth that much of my grade... Welcome to college :puke:.

Good luck, rock them out! :)
Mine is nothing too special, just the weekly round of the professor. Only problem being that he asks questions. :p

On another note i'm hyper right now, finally managed to make some arrangements. :)

edit: what the hell is hyper

@rahvin: linking that entry was underhanded of you. now you got me wasting time like never before trying to catch up with scooter singles released in the past, like, 10 years. :p

Good luck, rock them out! :)
Mine is nothing too special, just the weekly round of the professor. Only problem being that he asks questions. :p

Thank you, and bon chance to you as well.

I, thankfully, don't have to field questions. I do, however, have to listen to harsh criticisms from my professor. She tends to be unnecessarily hard, especially for a general education course everyone in the university has to take to graduate. She even has a tendency to focus on intonations and pick out of the entire speech one unpronounced letter in one word to complain about (no exaggeration). I wouldn't care if I was a public speaking major, but I'm not. I know the value of good speech, but I don't want to lose significant points for joining together two letters accidentally.

*phew* rant over. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

So, the semester's almost done and I've procastinated like an idiot. I gotta make some philological work (worth like 40-50 pages) I don't know how to do on a manuscript I don't have; read 3 novels and make 3 essays about them; investigate some local ecological problem and elaborate; analyze the discourse of some nutter who's in favor of self-castration; and edit and publish a student magazine. Plus, I have to deliver my first thesis advance on two weeks and finish a lecture on the relationship between philosophy and literature. After that, college will be over and I'll welcome the real, crude life.

But meanwhile, I have some serious research to do. I'd try some search engine, but then I ran into this:

google-vs-god.jpg

Maybe I should follow my true path and embrace Jesus. He doesn't demand any pseudointellectual bullshit, plus I get the chance to butcher infidels and have lots of fun.

Thank you, and bon chance to you as well.

I, thankfully, don't have to field questions. I do, however, have to listen to harsh criticisms from my professor. She tends to be unnecessarily hard, especially for a general education course everyone in the university has to take to graduate. She even has a tendency to focus on intonations and pick out of the entire speech one unpronounced letter in one word to complain about (no exaggeration). I wouldn't care if I was a public speaking major, but I'm not. I know the value of good speech, but I don't want to lose significant points for joining together two letters accidentally.
Thanks, mine went fine. I was panicking all morning and only had 3 hours of sleep, and when the time came he just randomly asked me something else, because i happened to be standing in front of him. He caught me off guard, but i managed ok, much better than i thought (especially regarding that was not what i had prepared).

Your prof sounds a bit out there. I hope the intonation and pronunciation comments are just comments and don't actually detract from your grade. In any case, i'm sure you'll do fine, you only need to be a little careful. :) Let us know how it goes.

@hyena: hello to you, too. :p