The new In Flames songs.

Dark Tranquility = Iron Maiden + Superficial 'Aggression' + 'Introspective' Lyrics

In other words, Dark Tranquility = Papa Roach.

Iron Maiden + Dark Tranquility + Papa Roach = 3 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BANDS

Unless you are listening to Dark Tranquility covering Maiden's 22 Acacia Avenue, I don't see that much similarity between these two bands.

Not sure why you even mention Papa Roach as they are closer to Rock than Metal.

just bashers around here, huh?

Oh come on, give them a chance. CC album was shit but their new songs (from the EP) put everything back to RTR in place. Just listen to it more carefully. More leads, more harmonies..there are similarities to Clayman if you have a closer look.

Anyway, there is no way you would step back if you've already reached a high level of popularity. And I think the new songs are catchy but not "sellout-sounding" in any way. Anders voice has really evolved and emotions are carried far better now.

Just have yourself in mind "there won't be a jesterrace 2". Everything from Clayman on is a natural progression in my eyes. They're doing the right thing and it's far from shit music.

You just said that Come Clarity was 'shit' but you are trying to defend the band? lol

In Flames has become a simplified and lazy version of their former self. There really is nothing to "listen to more carefully". The solos are out of place and uninspired, the harmonies are nothing near what they used to be, the only thing new to their sound is more moshcore riffs and whiny singing.

Iron Maiden + Dark Tranquility + Papa Roach = 3 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BANDS

What?!!!1!!1 I thought they were the same band. :rolleyes:

Unless you are listening to Dark Tranquility covering Maiden's 22 Acacia Avenue, I don't see that much similarity between these two bands.

Not sure why you even mention Papa Roach as they are closer to Rock than Metal.

All three bands use the same basic approach: ornamenting the ol' I-IV-V slog with constant parallel thirds and fifths to wave the "Hey, check it out - harmony!" banner. It tends to impress the gullible, because sounds it sophisticated if you've never been out in the world, sort of like French or sex that requires an artificial lubricant.

You oubviously never listened to a nu-metal record. Their's a difference between a sellout band and a nu-metal band. It seems that when a band gets commercial succes and decide to make easy music it's nu-metal! So Dark Tranquillity is nu-metal???they do the intro/verse/chorus/verse, etc thing. They are more popular than ever. Children of Bodom is nu-metal too right. This is funny.

you're not getting what i meant, the sound of in flames is re-hash, the same album after album. i honestly would much rather enjoy listening to as i lay dying than in flames, they atleast challenge themselves with the guitar work a bit.

as don said, im not saying i think you're an idiot for listening to their music still, i bought come clarity, ill admit, but these new songs to me sound like a mixture of in flames' past 3 attempts, nothing new.

I think it sounds as if they´ve tried to copy the bands who copied themselves.

Quoted for truth. The guitar parts sound like the sub-standard guitar parts of Killswitch Engage etc now. The lyrics also have gone way downhill. I enjoyed "Come Clarity" for what it was, and there's a couple songs on there that I really like, but this is getting ridiculous now. They should just give it up, honestly.

you mean it went downhill after clayman, sorry metal_wrath but you have no idea what you're talking about

EDIT: and yeah, in flames sucks the big one now. why did anders have to be such a bitch and fuck up his voice.

shit.

All three bands use the same basic approach: ornamenting the ol' I-IV-V slog with constant parallel thirds and fifths to wave the "Hey, check it out - harmony!" banner. It tends to impress the gullible, because sounds it sophisticated if you've never been out in the world, sort of like French or sex that requires an artificial lubricant.

You are so wrong. They absolutely NOT confined to a simple chord progression. Many of their melodies are very subtle yet carefully weaved over non-standard time signatures. They took some time to grow on me but I finally realized their greatness and now they're one of my favorite bands. I cannot say they are all that innovative though, if that's what you're getting at.

Oh and by the way the new In Flames song was pure shit. Laughable. I actually listened to some of their older stuff and it wasn't as great as I once remembered... oh well, they still have some awesome gems.

^
you have it all wrong, my friend.

personally, i wouldnt care if in flames started doing polka...as long as it's good, im fine with it. but this is just...shit. i dont hear anything original there and it's annoying. this band used to write great tunes with excellent riffs inspired by nordic folk. they had character. they had amazing solos with feeling.

if i feel like listening to nu-metal, i spin korn or mudvayne...meaning, the originals. not in flames, who is, unfortunately, a cheap copy.

it's fine with me if you enjoy it, though, of course

Emre, dear, i love your sig, made me :lol:

you mean it went downhill after clayman, sorry metal_wrath but you have no idea what you're talking about

My point is that after The Jester Race they have gotten progressively worse. Not saying that Colony and Whoracle were bad, there are some moments of greatness in those albums. I think most would agree they have only gotten worse with each new album after Jester Race or Colony...

My point is that after The Jester Race they have gotten progressively worse. Not saying that Colony and Whoracle were bad, there are some moments of greatness in those albums. I think most would agree they have only gotten worse with each new album after Jester Race or Colony...

couldn't agree with this any more. when i recommend to someone to listen to IF, i tell them to start at the beginning because in my opinion each album gets progressively worse. and going beyond clayman the drop off in quality is HUGE

I checked out the songs and surprisingly enough it isn't all that bad. Also, Whoracle was pretty damn good, I prefer it over TJR actually.