The New Meshuggah - obZen

I like it. It's the first Meshuggah album since Destroy, Erase, Improve that hasn't given me a headache listening all the way through (and a headache is not always a bad thing! :))

I've never listened to meshuggah before obZen, I knew who they were of course but I hadn't listened to them.

Anyway so my friend really recommended this album and I thought; what the hell, lets give it a shot.

And I was amazed. I really like it and if the other albums are just as good as this, then I'll sure dl/buy them.

I think obZen is a lot more structured, compared to their last release catch33. But that might be because haake plays the drums himself (catch 33 was made with drumcomputer) and that doesn´t give them so much flexibility during the writing process... But sonically you are not able to divide betwen haake´s playing and a computer anyway.( He is a machine...and you get this on obZen,too. )So they lost something of their randomness... but obZen has some really kick-ass extremly fat riffs that are more melodic then on catch 33. So if you are more a extreme-prog-fan or prefer the jazzy random side of meshuggah you might be a bit disappointed, cause these moments are a bit rare on obZen. But if you are a friend of really twisted heavy metal (on obZen even with some black metal influences, referring to some Pravus guitar parts) you will definitivetly like it!
The highlight of the Album is for me Dancers To A Disordant System... Very groovy and crushing at the same time, with some weird guitar work and ultrabeatiful and epic guitar harmonies...Also the longest song on the Album (unfortunately just around 9:30mins )
My favorites are Bleed, Pravus and Dancers To A Disordant System

So go out an buy it on March 29, and see them live (I think the new material is very fitting for really evil and heavy live performances :headbang:)!

Its thrashier, feels like theres a bit more definition to it, solid album, but its meshuggah, and it still gets old pretty fast.

I love Meshuggah's music, it is so catchy and fun !

I always sing Meshugga's music under the shower before a rape or a murder...

They are the The Kinks of their generation.

I love Meshuggah's music, it is so catchy and fun !

I always sing Meshugga's music under the shower before a rape or a murder...

They are the The Kinks of their generation.

Good sir, I laugh at your clever use of sarcasm. You are indeed a comedian of the highest order.

But seriously, solid album. I wasn't so sure about it at first (I kept waiting for some break in the chaos :rolleyes:), but I've given it a lot of spins, and it holds up to the rest of their albums quite well.

Am I alone in the thought that the dude on the cover reminds me of Maynard from Tool? o_O

Peace

Rorix

Am I alone in the thought that the dude on the cover reminds me of Maynard from Tool? o_O

Yes that is definitively a toolish artwork! Some guitar-sounds are also some kind of tool-like-sounding... for example the light distorted intro sound of combustion...
I actually read somwhere it´s a real photomodel combined with cgi... so perhaps it is maynard? ;)