The New Old School

Originally posted by Metal is Religion
I think the band that is most like the 80's thrash would definately be Shadows Fall. they are amazing and they have some incredible thrash riffs!

Not really. A mixture of hardcore and gothenburg.

Originally posted by MacMoney
Not really. A mixture of hardcore and gothenburg.

Yea, I never have understood why so many people say Shadows Fall is helping to bring back the classic thrash sound. Kind of as off base as those that try to explain how SOAD is not watered down metal riffs and a whiny temper tantrum for vocals.

As far as the old school thing goes, each decade the definition changes. When I was a kid, classic rock ment 60's rock only! In the 90's they started to add some 70's bands as 'Classic Rock. Now I hear a few 80's bands on my favorite classic rock stations.

What is New School now will be old school in about 20 years.

This is why there are some death metal bands without solos that can get away with calling themselves old school hardcore.

System Of A Down sounds nothing like Carcass or Napalm Death man. I think they sound more like Mike Patton's music.

Originally posted by NAD
System of a Down. Not that I love them or anything, but I think they will be talked about in the future.

I think so too. System of a Down is a great band in my opinion. Them and Mudvayne are probably the best 2 out of the Newer American Metal music.

Originally posted by Southern Man I Am
Them and Mudvayne are probably the best 2 out of the Newer American Metal music.
Yeah pretty much. I can't say I like or dislike either of them, but there are times when I like them both. :) The only newer band I really like 30 Seconds to Mars, as far as I'm concerned they are the only great group to surface in the past 5 years.

Of the bands that have arrived over the last 5-6 years.
Which do you think will be talked about 10 years from now?
Or if considered "old school?"

Playing dirty, since I'm now 21 years after the original post.

Bands that were young or new back in that time and now are still doing strong:

Wolf
Hammerfall
Astral Doors
Avantasia
Majesty
Nightwish (I suppose someone may still talk about them)
Blackmore´s Night :rofl: