The New Old School

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Of the bands that have arrived over the last 5-6 years.
Which do you think will be talked about 10 years from now?
Or if considered "old school?"
Here's my votes in no order boys 'n girls...
1.) Soil
2.) BlS
3.)(possibly)Disturbed
that's just three that come to mind.:hotjump:

[color=#AOEOOA]You'll more likely get bands like In Flames/Soilwork/Arch Enemy etc talked about years from now.

Generally bands who hit big on one cd won't be talked about.

Bands who slowly move up the ranks making fans along the way generally last longer.[/color]

well i dont find i liek that much of the newer stuff, i lie odd songs but no bands i feel i would commit too, i tihnk ill stick with the earlier bands, i do loooove the chorus to soil's 'halo' tho, i dont much like the verse, but i find the chorus just so catchy 'i will stone u stone u! wra\p my arms around u!'

They will be talked about as much as we talk about Poison, Trixter, Bang Tango...etc. etc. now, which is never.(They are members of the joke metal of the 2000s with their piercings & tats. Just like hair bands are laughed at now, they will be the jokes of the future)

System of a Down. Not that I love them or anything, but I think they will be talked about in the future.

the bands mentioned dont play smthing similar to "old school"
bands that play traditional metal nowadays and kill are:
Destiny's End
Shadowkeep
Skullview
Twisted Tower Dire
Doomsword
Domine
Thunderstorm
and some others ..

Originally posted by IOfTheStorm
the bands mentioned dont play smthing similar to "old school"
Actually I consider System of a Down to be very "old school" to coin the term used in this thread. That Toxicity album borrows from many techniques used by S.O.D., Napalm Death, and Carcass.

I see your point, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because SOAD really does sound "old school" to me. Do they sound identical to S.O.D., Napalm Death, etc.? No, but it is definitely the same vein. That's part of the reason why I laugh at people that call SOAD so original. I tell them "shit, come check out my 80s music collection some time!" :)

I really don't see the bands mentioned as "old school" but I am a big fan of Soil, their debut albums "Scars" is one that I listen to very often. I actually say them live last year as the first band in Ozzy's christmas tour, they really rocked! I really hope they stick around long enough to be talked about in years to come.:devil:

Originally posted by Aussie_Outlaw
[color=#AOEOOA]You'll more likely get bands like In Flames/Soilwork/Arch Enemy etc talked about years from now.

Generally bands who hit big on one cd won't be talked about.

Bands who slowly move up the ranks making fans along the way generally last longer.[/color]

All the bands mentioned here are great, but they all have been/ are established bands that are huge outside of the USA. As for the NUMETAL stuff, there's very little of it out there that will stand the test of time. It's easy to make a statement about a band only having one hit record not being around 5-10 years down the road. Soil is a great band. If they return with another record that's solid I'll be sold on them. Like Disturbed or not, they are One or THE only "good" band that has come out of the NUMETAL genre. I was sticking to strictly the NUMETAL genre, so you don't see any of the In Flames, Arch, ect on the list. It would be endless, right?

Bands like Symphony X, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Stratovarius, etc. will be respected and talked about years from now. Anything you currently see on tv and radio now adays like someone else said will be a joke and not talked about anymore.

Originally posted by NAD
Actually I consider System of a Down to be very "old school" to coin the term used in this thread. That Toxicity album borrows from many techniques used by S.O.D., Napalm Death, and Carcass.

man are you high!???
what did you drink!??

carcass!?????????? napalm death!???? S.O.D. ????

oh........

Originally posted by Infected Core
man are you high!???
what did you drink!??

carcass!?????????? napalm death!???? S.O.D. ????

oh........

Have you listened to Toxicity? I'm being very serious, it's primarily in the drumming, but that whole album is pseudo-grindcore. Lots of blast beats all over the place. I didn't say "they sound just like them" if you read my quote again I said "BORROWS FROM" those groups.

In fact, look at what else I posted here!
Originally posted by NAD
I see your point, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because SOAD really does sound "old school" to me. Do they sound identical to S.O.D., Napalm Death, etc.? No, but it is definitely the same vein. That's part of the reason why I laugh at people that call SOAD so original. I tell them "shit, come check out my 80s music collection some time!"

Just curious if anyone out there has picked up the Audioslave dics?! If so, what did you think? It's not bad, but not exactly what you'd expect either. Maybe my hopes were to high for this one. It sounds like one of those "side" projects put together by established musicians. Plus Rick Rubin produced this & I think he's overrated as a producer. He really doesn't do much for a bands' sound. Just my opinion.

I agree that most of these bands mentioned aren't what you'd call old school. Old school metal is traditional heavy metal, '80s thrash/death and hard rock/glam, etc...

The bands of today that would be considered "old school" would be bands such as Hammerfall, Edguy, Dream Evil, Dungeon, Iced Earth, Jackyl, Talon, Pink Cream 69, etc etc etc.

Not bands like Disturbed, SOAD, etc as they pretty much define the new school of heavy rock. All music borrows elements from older stuff, that's just how music evolves, but it doesn't make them old school. Old school bands are ones who play an old school style, not a new style with a few elements of their influences.

Even melodic death metal bands I wouldn't call old school as its a new style that has evolved in the last 5 or so years. It's got alot more old school metal elements than Disturbed etc though. To metalheads, I don't think melodic death bands are generally considered old school as its a new thing and much more original than say power and speed metal is. But to the MTV fan, bands like Arch Enemy would be considered old school because they don't rap and jump around with dreadlocks to mosh grooves.