The News Thread

The Black Panthers really weren't that bad. They were strong proponents of the Second Amendment and fought against the draft, an institution that has killed orders of magnitude more men than the Panthers themselves. There's nothing wrong with committing crime along racial lines if you belong to a racially oppressed minority group yourself.

It's not outrage. It's internet PC battles (and the non-PCers play the same game). If it were really outrage, people would be out in the streets about it.

Well I appreciate that clarification. I agree that money is color blind, and therefore class is also. I'm sympathetic to legitimate race and/or class based complaints. I just don't think most are legitimate, and the ones that are can't be solved by absolutely any additional government policy, only the rolling back thereof.

Money is blind to class and color, but those who have money are not. I tentatively agree with you on your point about racial focused government policies, but not as to whether or not government can make improvements that will help certain communities. Schools, public works, roads, and the like are what I'm referencing. White communities have more money and therefore better schools. While it's always touted that plenty of money is spent on poor, black urban schools, I (1 don't buy that (have you seen the poor black schools in urban communities?) (2 believe money is wasted on administration, a problem which I confidently surmise is a bigger problem in cities than rural areas. I'll agree with you on rolling back with regard to certain policies, i.e., drugs, incarceration, bad policing,

It's not outrage. It's internet PC battles (and the non-PCers play the same game). If it were really outrage, people would be out in the streets about it.

Yeah, I should have said "outrage".

Money is blind to class and color, but those who have money are not. I tentatively agree with you on your point about racial focused government policies, but not as to whether or not government can make improvements that will help certain communities. Schools, public works, roads, and the like are what I'm referencing.

Well infrastructure (specifically roads/bridges) is a ball the government has been dropping for decades now. They could do a better job, but the incentives currently aren't there. If I ever got involved in politics it would be local to where I was at, and my entire focus would be infrastructure.

White communities have more money and therefore better schools. While it's always touted that plenty of money is spent on poor, black urban schools, I (1 don't buy that (have you seen the poor black schools in urban communities?) (2 believe money is wasted on administration, a problem which I confidently surmise is a bigger problem in cities than rural areas. I'll agree with you on rolling back with regard to certain policies, i.e., drugs, incarceration, bad policing,

I don't really buy this. I haven't been to poor black schools in large cities, but they can't look much worse than poor black schools in small cities and towns. A significant onus has to be on the students and their parents to take advantage of the resources available. There's simply not a culture of academic achievement in poorly performing schools. You can't blame it on racism or oppression (within the bounds of the school itself) when a school is in a black community, and the students/teachers/admins are majority black, and it is having significant issues. When the culture is bad, no amount of money is going to raise academic performance.

Last edited:
@Black Orifice

On the spending/achievement gap:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/06/06/School-Budgets-The-Worst-Education-Money-Can-Buy

Although they represent the extremes, these very different districts illustrate a troubling pattern that emerges in the school-spending data: The 10 most expensive schools have some of the lowest graduations rates, and the 10 schools that spend the least per student have some of the highest.

Now the article goes on to point out some disparity in spending can be in local CoL, and I would say some of it can also be due to school size. However, that can't explain the entire spending gap, nor does it explain lower levels of achievement for the significantly greater levels of spending.

Obama has also made an effort to devote more spending to education, with $80 billion given to K-12 districts in the stimulus bill and his Race to the Top program offering states and addition $4.35 billion in federal funds if they can come up with innovative reform plans. In the 2012 budget estimate by the Office of Management and Budget, $43.2 billion is devoted to k-12 education, nearly a 50 percent increase since 2000.

“When you look at the large increases in spending and the way student achievement has largely remained stagnant,” says Boser, “it’s hard not to take away that there’s some sort of disconnect.”

Maybe you can't fix culture problems (and therefore a people problem) with money.

Mort's such a morbid beast. The SC has way more power than any Koch brother could ever hope to have, which you would think would make the proggies hiss at the institution - that is, if they had any sort of ethics. Which they don't. It's unfortunate one can't make a documentary about prog "ethics" and name it in the most accurate fashion, as "Any which way you can" is already taken.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah, I should have said "outrage".

Well infrastructure (specifically roads/bridges) is a ball the government has been dropping for decades now. They could do a better job, but the incentives currently aren't there. If I ever got involved in politics it would be local to where I was at, and my entire focus would be infrastructure.

I don't really buy this. I haven't been to poor black schools in large cities, but they can't look much worse than poor black schools in small cities and towns. A significant onus has to be on the students and their parents to take advantage of the resources available. There's simply not a culture of academic achievement in poorly performing schools. You can't blame it on racism or oppression (within the bounds of the school itself) when a school is in a black community, and the students/teachers/admins are majority black, and it is having significant issues. When the culture is bad, no amount of money is going to raise academic performance.

I agree with you point in part, but this isn't exactly what I was getting at. I tried to keep my last post short and went with the education example because it was the easiest one. What I should have said is that when funds for everything that we reasonably expect for the government to provide, such as education, roads, public works, and the like, cultures can be influenced to change. Some of the inner city areas simply look hopeless and it's because city governments pump all of their money into tourist destination centers, rather than keeping the grass cut, the roads decent, and the sidewalks walk-able. And perhaps this is the cultural historian in me speaking, but there's a way in which that sort of physical environment is internalized and exacerbates existing cultural issues. And if this money was used to employ at least some local people in keeping their communities livable, then perhaps the sense of "who gives a fuck" might begin to change.

@Black Orifice

On the spending/achievement gap:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2011/06/06/School-Budgets-The-Worst-Education-Money-Can-Buy

Now the article goes on to point out some disparity in spending can be in local CoL, and I would say some of it can also be due to school size. However, that can't explain the entire spending gap, nor does it explain lower levels of achievement for the significantly greater levels of spending.

Maybe you can't fix culture problems (and therefore a people problem) with money.

I got to this point in the paragraph above, but I'll knock a couple on the head. Cultural problems can be fixed by money. What do you think the advent of the middle-class did to Western culture? But it has to be spent properly. If lots of money is being spent on education, but the neighborhoods are filled with rotting and deserted house, and all of those other hallmarks of a poor inner city, then the money being spent on education won't do much good either, as the article illustrated.

Scallia's death was a surprise. Apparently he went quail hunting, and then Dick Cheney shot him in the face. He died in his sleep at home, not a bad way to go out. It's hilarious that all the the Republicans are insisting that Obama not appoint the next Justice. I'm not going to trounce on his grave, but I'm glad we'll get another progressive on the court this year to balance the odds following RBG's retirement if a Republican makes it to the White House.

Last edited:
I agree with you point in part, but this isn't exactly what I was getting at. I tried to keep my last post short and went with the education example because it was the easiest one. What I should have said is that when funds for everything that we reasonably expect for the government to provide, such as education, roads, public works, and the like, cultures can be influenced to change. Some of the inner city areas simply look hopeless and it's because city governments pump all of their money into tourist destination centers, rather than keeping the grass cut, the roads decent, and the sidewalks walk-able. And perhaps this is the cultural historian in me speaking, but there's a way in which that sort of physical environment is internalized and exacerbates existing cultural issues. And if this money was used to employ at least some local people in keeping their communities livable, then perhaps the sense of "who gives a fuck" might begin to change.

I got to this point in the paragraph above, but I'll knock a couple on the head. Cultural problems can be fixed by money. What do you think the advent of the middle-class did to Western culture? But it has to be spent properly. If lots of money is being spent on education, but the neighborhoods are filled with rotting and deserted house, and all of those other hallmarks of a poor inner city, then the money being spent on education won't do much good either, as the article illustrated.

Why aren't the people there already keeping the sidewalks clean and the grass cut? It's not expensive at all. The middle class wasn't built with gifts, it was created via the opening of work and ownership opportunities. Checks to the mentally enslaved just go to buy more lottery tickets et al, and government programs to clean the sidewalks are just make-work programs.

Any Trump supporters here willing to put their money(or beers) where their mouth is? I'm willing to bet with anyone that thinks he's going to win the nomination.

Scalia was a bit of a douche and I'm kinda looking forward to whoever Obama appoints mostly because the Republitards will inevitably lose their collective shit. That and having a democratic in SCOTUS is just better.

... ugh. I just vomited a little while reading this.

Cruz is so sleezy man. Everyone I know that is Republican loves him though, unless they prefer Carson. I swear people are absolute shit at reading other people.

-iRj98L3GXVC0hSp51N5vWGd-4XQ6-9RUltbxBXoFDY.jpg