The News Thread

I know that it's a pretty common sentiment from Europeans that Democrats seem like the "least bad" option. But Europeans have a pretty good track record of selecting the "most bad" option, so I don't know why European sentiment should be taken seriously.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
If Trump cleans up on Super Tuesday, it would probably take everyone but Cruz dropping out to maybe have a chance for a different nominee.

Trump would beat Hillary in a general election. Make America Great vs Hey Im a Woman.

It's basically guaranteed that Trump will be the nominee. SC has only been wrong once in the last 30 years.

I don't think Trump would beat Hillary. And he definitely wouldn't beat Bernie.

At first I thought Hillary would crush the presidential race but I've seen so much hate from other Lefties and also ex supporters. People are beginning to see through her fake pro-women rhetoric and if she loses her black supporters I'd say she's basically fucked.

I hope Bernie crushes her into dust and stomps over her remains with glee.

and you know, a job if you want one of those things

This is something i've been noticing as a criticism against Bernie. The social welfare programs he is opting for serves both the market and the individual. It's not like he's advocating for a 500% increase in food stamps or something. Work = pay for health care + college.

This is something i've been noticing as a criticism against Bernie. The social welfare programs he is opting for serves both the market and the individual. It's not like he's advocating for a 500% increase in food stamps or something. Work = pay for health care + college.

Food stamps would probably be better and less expensive.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/price-tag-of-bernie-sanders-proposals-18-trillion-1442271511

Sen. Bernie Sanders, whose liberal call to action has propelled his long-shot presidential campaign, is proposing an array of new programs that would amount to the largest peacetime expansion of government in modern American history.

In all, he backs at least $18 trillion in new spending over a decade, according to a tally by The Wall Street Journal

All the pro-Bernie pieces about "he totally has a plan to pay for it" are pipedreams about "closing loopholes and making corporations 'pay their fair share". Magic money trees. May as well just go ahead and admit that far from being a Fed closing advocate, he's gonna need them presses rollin'.

Once fed colleges are free, tuition prices are going to decline. I still can't read WSJ articles so not sure what else the article is referring to. He's already admitted the middle class will see a tax raise as well.

Once fed colleges are free, tuition prices are going to decline.

94408-Ice-Cube-HUH-wtf-WHAT-THE-FUCK-4pAG.gif

Reactions: Baroque
?? tuition has raised because the government subsidizes education. Once it's cost controlled, how would it be more expensive!?

How would free education not be 100% subsidization? You admit to the effects of partial subsidization. If it's cost controlled, that just means that the quality is going to decline more than it already has (in effect, paying more or the same for less - ie more expensive). But no, let us follow in the sound footsteps of Venezuela et al. I'm sure this "time it'll be different."

You do realize that not every school would be like that right? There will always be a private option. It's no different than public or private K-12 schools, except it would extend through college. What's the problem?

hey look @King Richard it's your people

fucking idiots

hey, that's my schoooooool

You admit to the effects of partial subsidization. If it's cost controlled, that just means that the quality is going to decline more than it already has

I'm not talking about quality, i'm talking about costs..Not really sure free market education has made it better. Charter schools are doing well, from what I understand, but I haven't read anything similar in terms of Universities.

You do realize that not every school would be like that right? There will always be a private option. It's no different than public or private K-12 schools, except it would extend through college. What's the problem?

1) Is college going to be free retroactively? Because how is that fair that I owe a ton of shit in student loans and other people get a free ride off of my tax money? Not only that, I'D be the one educating them as a college teacher. If college is free I better get loan forgiveness. And fucking reparations for income lost, I worked my ass off in college in addition to loans.

2) Will college teachers be paid less? Actually I think they'd be paid more. In this scenario college teachers would have leverage to be paid the same as K-12 teachers and gain benefits. Right now part-time college teachers are paid less than K-12 teachers because schools are cheap and won't hire on full timers. Even though we're technically full time because we work at multiple schools. But seriously, how are we going to pay for all that?

3) Not everyone can handle college, or needs a college degree to get through life. Free college would create a certain sort of expectation of passing like in K-12. We'd let more people through that don't deserve to get through. We'd have more perpetual students that never grow up. It just adds on to the layers of entitlement people already have. Etc.

This is why I like Hillary.

Reactions: CiG and Dak
It's no different than public or private K-12 schools, except it would extend through college. What's the problem?

That's one of the best arguments against free college you could make. College is already essentially free anyway for low income students via pell/top up school grants, and all it's done is inflate grading and drag down the product, so anyone arguing to expand free collegiate education has an incredibly high empirical hurdle to clear.

Last edited: