The News Thread

Yeah...blacks are known to be Christian...Christians and gays still have a rocky relationship at best. It's true. Let's talk about how Mexicans hate Blacks...or how Vietnamese hate Chinese people. White Americans who hate White Russians. There's good dialogue being left out here. Off topic- quick question: where are all these protesters pooping? 40,000 is a lot a people "holding it"...?

MLK, Malcolm X etc. would be looked at as another polarizing nut job today by modern media standards and it's receptive audience, I believe. They'd be kind of looked upon like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson- certainly not the same traction now as they had during the civil rights movement...especially with the same rhetoric being used now as opposed to then.

Last edited:
You haven't heard?

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/5/18/15469254/dc-comics-watchmen-the-button-explained

About a year ago, DC Comics made good on its pledge to reform its comics universe by revealing a metatextually shocking twist: the implication that everything readers didn’t like about the company’s New 52 continuity reboot had been caused by a character from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ blockbuster graphic novel, Watchmen.

EDIT: For the record, I don't read comics, so I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just think it's funny to argue that politics can be in the Watchmen comics but not in other DC comics. Every comic is politically inflected. That's unavoidable.

Oh I've read Watchmen. I just mean I don't read comics regularly, or keep up with multiple issues.

I started reading East of West, which I really liked, but just didn't have time to keep up with. Also, buying comics is expensive.

yea i dont buy singles anymore either. Most of my stuff is old. I got back in a few years ago around the time Grant Morrison was on his weird mindfuck Batman run, Geoff Johns was blowing up with Green Lantern and Marvel was having the whole Secret Invasion thing.

You'd probably enjoy books from Vertigo(Y:The Last Man should be right up your alley), Dark Horse and the smaller publishers like IDW. Have you ever read Paul Chadwicks Concrete? Or any of Jeff Lemires work? Also should definitely read Hickmans Pax Romana and The Nightly News. You can get them in TPB and they are fairly quick reads. You will thank me.

Sometimes you piss me the fuck off

well that's because i dont get along with communists ;)

And no, I've never read any of those. Is The Last Man adapted from Mary Shelley's novel?

I'm not sure, but its basically about a story where everyone/everything with the y chromosome dies, except for the main protagonist and his pet monkey Ampersand. It is considered one of the best books vertigo has ever published and one of the best modern comics. I personally think its overrated, but everyone loves it. The other books i mentioned are much better imo. Nightly News and Pax Romana are some of the most interesting "comic books" ive read in recent years and Concrete is a goddamn masterpice. It's about a man who's mind is trapped insides a giant "concrete" body(trying not to spoil anything here).

https://www.amazon.com/Pax-Romana-J...TF8&qid=1505432192&sr=8-2&keywords=pax+romana
https://www.amazon.com/Nightly-News...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MXAJN1JR7P5GY6KA9W20

Last edited:
86736-ogre-NEEERDS-gif-revenge-of-th-KSuQ.gif

Watchmen is aimed at older readers, at least intellectually...Alot of comics I dig kids wouldn't like...I'm curious if the Valiant Bloodshot, or Harbingers movies will be worth watching? I heard they're casting Jered Leto for the Bloodshot film...my hopes are low

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I heard they're casting Jered Leto for the Bloodshot film...my hopes are low
:lol:

But damn, i didn't even they were hitting the big screen. They're fairly unknown to todays generation so i dont know how good they'll do. But if you grew up collecting in the early-mid 90's than you definitely know Valiant. I have both Bloodshot #1(hologram/embossed cover) and Harbinger #1.

Reactions: Nate Skalman
I love Dark Horse and Valiant, the Harbingers is still one of my faves behind Punisher War Journals...they used to be worth something. I also have a cheesy soft spot for the old Evil Ernie and Lady Death series

yea those valiant comics were expensive as fuck. Remember the Wizard price guides? :lol:

I also have The Punisher #1(1989), which is only worth around $50 the last time i checked. His first appearance in The Amazing Spider Man is where the moneys at. I also have a bunch of his War Zone stuff and the whole PunisherMAX run in hardcover.

Ah...wizard guides...man, I was a geek!...There's only a handful of Punishers i don't have...the four part war journal series (I think 72-75) where jigsaw fucks Frank's face up and they turn him into a BLACK GUY with plastic surgery. Controversial even then...