The News Thread

politics does not belong in comic books.

Considering that Watchmen is my favourite comic book of all time, I have to disagree.

For what it's worth, it's actually because the statues have been around for centuries that they're causing controversy. Many of those statues were raised during particular moments of American history (namely, during the Jim Crow era and specifically Plessy vs. Ferguson, which upheld "separate but equal") as political statements against black rights. The inclusion of Confederate iconography in some state flags also corresponds with the Civil Rights movement. They were originally political statements, and they were directed against black rights.

That people are up in arms now speaks to the cultural atmosphere. I don't advocate vandalism or illicit measures in removing statues, but I do think there should be a dialogue about what to do with them. Saying they should remain standing "because they're history" isn't good enough. History isn't worth commemorating simply because it's history. There should be discussion over what to do with monuments that were raised specifically to intimidate blacks and mark the rejection of black humanity. We could preserve them without glorifying them.

This might mean something if the vandalism were isolated specifically to confederate statues and monuments.

People attacking a Thomas Jefferson statue with Che shirts on are evidence against higher education being higher or education. I'm stereotyping here but it's entirely reasonable.

A friend of mine on Facebook had liked and commented on a FOX News video of a confederate monument being removed and nobody in the comments mocking the FOX News viewers who were complaining seemed to notice the hammer and sickle spray-painted on the actual monument.

What made it all the more ironic was that people were, including my friend, mocking them on the basis of defending monuments to a losing side. Arnold Schwarzenegger made the same point, that the Nazi-sympathizers are supporting a defeated side.

Did I miss the part where communism has a history of winning?

Reactions: Dak
seems like a more appropriate response to Jefferson is a sort of calm-dislike rather than outpouring of hatred ala Columbus. But I don't think we do enough in this country of contextualizing 1750-1791 in high school and likely even college education here =/

I think it's weird to be mad at statues of people who have been dead for so long that even their descendants feel little to no attachment to the person.

As an aboriginal, I could never look at something representing the history of Australia, and get so upset that I even show it on the surface let alone take illegal action. I just don't have it in me and I absolutely do not understand people who do. I think it's manufactured offense.

The American College of Pediatricians are also a respectable group of pediatricians (and other medical health experts) but it's just that they have a very clear socially conservative agenda and thus are not objective with the data and science.

I'm sure the next statue/memorial to be removed will be of Malcolm X. He promoted hate and violence and was simply a garbage person.

sadly, minority wanted segregation as an idea and systemic policy is on the rise in interest in this country.

how did i know the response was going to be "BUT THEY"RE CONERVATIIIVEEE HAACKKKS" again, lmao. i love it.

Also im pretty sure you guys had never even heard of them, but that 5 minute google search has turned you guys into experts.

Last edited:
I'm sure the next statue/memorial to be removed will be of Malcolm X

And dont forget about MLK, since he thought gays had mental issues ....

"Your problem is not at all an uncommon one. However, it does require careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired. Your reasons for adopting this habit have now been consciously suppressed or unconsciously repressed. Therefore, it is necessary to deal with this problem by getting back to some of the experiences and circumstances that led to the habit. In order to do this I would suggest that you see a good psychiatrist who can assist you in bringing to the forefront of conscience all of those experiences and circumstances that led to the habit. You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it."

what do you think of that morty?

123.jpg

:lol: :lol:

dude has 700k followers too

Fun things stop being fun when liberals get involved...being a kid sucks now!! what's next? Liberal themed children's birthday parties?...if they get involved in sex there'll be no reason for genitals anyway- im sure liberal sex isn't fun...just look what they're doing to campfires:IMG_1297.JPG

And dont forget about MLK, since he thought gays had mental issues ....

"Your problem is not at all an uncommon one. However, it does require careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired. Your reasons for adopting this habit have now been consciously suppressed or unconsciously repressed. Therefore, it is necessary to deal with this problem by getting back to some of the experiences and circumstances that led to the habit. In order to do this I would suggest that you see a good psychiatrist who can assist you in bringing to the forefront of conscience all of those experiences and circumstances that led to the habit. You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it."

what do you think of that morty?

Considering the general mindset of the time was that gay people deserved to die, its a mild response for sure. He certainly would have become a champion of LGBT rights much like his wife did after his death.