The News Thread

Was Vegas a false flag for this?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...s-ban-proposal-ammunition-magazines-las-vegas

Democrats are planning to introduce legislation to ban high-capacity ammunition magazines in the wake of the Las Vegas attack that left at least 59 people dead and nearly 500 more injured.

The proposed ban on the transfer, importation, or possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition follows separate legislation to ban “bump stocks”, the novelty device that Stephen Paddock appears to have used to make semi-automatic rifles mimic the rapid fire of a fully automatic weapon.

Researchers have long described a previous federal ban on high-capacity magazines as the most effective part of the now lapsed 1994 assault weapon ban, since larger magazines make it easier for a shooter to fire more rounds without pausing to reload.

Mark Barden, whose seven-year-old son Daniel was killed in the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook elementary school, said a ban on higher-capacity magazines would save lives.

“When a person perpetrates a mass shooting, like the one that took the life of my sweet little Daniel, the capacity of a magazine can often determine how many bullets are fired before the shooter is stopped. Each time a shooter must pause to reload can provide an opportunity for bystanders or law enforcement to disarm, distract, or escape – each time can save so many lives,” Barden said in a statement.

"Establishing a maximum magazine capacity is simply the kind of commonsense action we can all agree on to help make our families and communities safe.”

Sandy Hook Promise, the violence prevention organization he helped found, has not endorsed a ban on assault weapons, but it has previously endorsed limits on magazine capacity.

Larger magazine sizes, like 15- or 30-round magazines, are common among American recreational shooters, and even larger 100-round magazines are available for legal sale.

While larger capacity magazines are most closely associated with the death and injury toll in mass shootings, a 2016 investigation from the Baltimore Sun found they play an increasingly prominent role in gang-related violence in cities like Baltimore, where the city’s medical examiner found that the number of cadavers with 10 or more bullets had more than doubled in the past decade. Gun violence in several cities nationwide had become more lethal in recent years, the investigation found, with victims more likely to die of their wounds despite advances in emergency medical care.

Gun rights advocates say the pause to reload when changing magazines is very brief and unlikely to have a significant impact on casualties, and that arbitrarily restricting magazine size to 10 rounds would be costly and inconvenient.

These advocates say it is not hard to make larger capacity magazines by hand, even if they’re not available for legal purchase. Chris Koper, the researcher who evaluated the 1994 assault weapon ban, estimated that renewed limits on the size of ammunition magazines might contribute, in the long-term, to a 1% reduction in shootings each year. This was only a “reasonable ballpark estimate”, he cautioned.

A similar attempt to ban high-capacity magazines failed in the US Senate in 2013, months after the Sandy Hook shooting, with 46 senators approving the measure and 54 voting against it.

The new high-capacity magazine ban legislation will be introduced in the House by Elizabeth Esty, a Democratic congresswoman who represents Newtown, Connecticut, the site of the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting, and several Democratic House members from Nevada, where the Las Vegas shooting took place.

Passing gun control regulation remains an uphill fight in a Republican-controlled Congress.

Some Republican legislators facing tough re-election campaigns have endorsed a legal ban on bump stocks, a little-known “range toy” that appears to have been used in Las Vegas, the deadliest mass shooting in recent American history.

But other Republicans, including the House speaker, Paul Ryan, have said that they believe the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) will be able to regulate “bump stocks” appropriately without a new law.

The ATF previously ruled that bump stocks did not fall under the regulation of federal firearms laws, including the law that strictly regulates fully automatic weapons.

Guess I'd better go buy some more tonight!

Not surprising tbh. This will get worse if the liberals take over Congress next term.

I don't know how the Boy Scout system works financially. Are you saying it's a net loss to run the organization the more applicants you have? Sounds like a bubble waiting to pop.

Membership dues + fundraising. Membership has dropped by 300,000 over the years because of the increasingly liberal policies being implemented. I don't think they will gain that much membership by allowing girls in the program tbh

Membership dues + fundraising. Membership has dropped by 300,000 over the years because of the increasingly liberal policies being implemented. I don't think they will gain that much membership by allowing girls in the program tbh

Is that true?

7leis4.gif
scouts-8_9x633_0.jpg

Was the decline in the 70s due to liberal policies? Or even that in the early 90s? I thought most of the liberal stuff that has happened occurred over the last decade or so.

Maybe it's just that it's more fun to play vidya and jack off to anime tiddy for kids these days.

We don't really care about what the frenchies do, especially since its the land of pugeots and other shitty little hatchbacks, so im not surprised that they're going electric. Over half the cars sold here are SUV's and pickups, so the chance of that happening anytime in the near future is approximately 0%

Nice job not posting direct sources to those graphs

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...hip-falls-again-in-2014-idUSKBN0KQ05O20150117

200K between 2013 and 2014.

What did I say that contradicts those numbers? The point is that they've been bleeding members since approximately 1990, and making a claim that it's a 25 year trend of liberal policies is ridiculous and unfounded unless you have evidence to support that. If anything, considering the number of lawsuits by atheist's, women's, and gay organizations in the past, one could just as easily argue that they're losing support because they're too conservative.

Damn, im a little late to the Boy Scout debate, but this one really hits a sore spot with me. As an Eagle Scout myself, I think that I am more than experienced enough with the organization to have an opinion on this topic. The issue for me isnt that I dont want girls to have the same opportunity, but that the whole reason why people are up in arms about this is because the Girl Scout equivalent rank doesnt mean as much on a resume or college application. Girl Scouts still go camping and do outdoor activities, so it cant be that they are feeling deprived of the camping and/or rugged experience. This is just one big political move that will mark the end of the Boy Scouts (and definitely the end of Girl Scouts, who arent too pleased with this move).

The reason why I am bothered by such an open inclusion of girls into BSA is that it really does dilute what is supposed to be just an outdoors and character building experience. Having girls enter into the activity is just asking for tons of distraction. What before was just camping is now going to result in boys trying to impress girls. Thinking back on my memories of scouting, everything would have been much different if girls were in the mix. To me this is the equivalent of letting girls into the men's locker room (in a self-conscious sense, not the perverted sense). For scouting to turn into a potential dating opportunity makes me sad that the organization was willing to stoop so low in order to boost their membership.

In what crazy world do lawsuits from organizations which never had any connection with you mean "losing support"?

The point is that there are families out there that would like to join the Boy Scouts but are prohibited from doing so because of demographic reasons.

Damn, im a little late to the Boy Scout debate, but this one really hits a sore spot with me. As an Eagle Scout myself, I think that I am more than experienced enough with the organization to have an opinion on this topic. The issue for me isnt that I dont want girls to have the same opportunity, but that the whole reason why people are up in arms about this is because the Girl Scout equivalent rank doesnt mean as much on a resume or college application. Girl Scouts still go camping and do outdoor activities, so it cant be that they are feeling deprived of the camping and/or rugged experience. This is just one big political move that will mark the end of the Boy Scouts (and definitely the end of Girl Scouts, who arent too pleased with this move).

The reason why I am bothered by such an open inclusion of girls into BSA is that it really does dilute what is supposed to be just an outdoors and character building experience. Having girls enter into the activity is just asking for tons of distraction. What before was just camping is now going to result in boys trying to impress girls. Thinking back on my memories of scouting, everything would have been much different if girls were in the mix. To me this is the equivalent of letting girls into the men's locker room (in a self-conscious sense, not the perverted sense). For scouting to turn into a potential dating opportunity makes me sad that the organization was willing to stoop so low in order to boost their membership.

Fair enough, I think this explanation makes sense. I would hope that specific chapter/groups/however it works have the option of running both segregated and co-ed groups, at least.

I would hope that specific chapter/groups/however it works have the option of running both segregated and co-ed groups, at least.

This is the end goal from what I understand. Nothing is happening until late 2018 so who knows what will happen by then..

As an Eagle Scout myself

I'm an Eagle too. Glad to see you back, Doc.

I agree with everything you said. Being in the BSA was a wonderful experience and this takes away from it imo

Reactions: EternalMetal
Apple's VP of diversity says '12 white, blue-eyed, blonde men in a room' can be a diverse group.

apple-denise-young-smith.jpg
"Diversity is the human experience," she said. "I get a little bit frustrated when diversity or the term diversity is tagged to the people of color, or the women, or the LGBT."

I have a feeling Apple's corporatist-progressive racism had them thinking hiring a black woman as head of diversity would be an easy way to ensure shallow diversity with sprinklings of whatever anti-white anti-male phrases are now popular, it may have backfired on them.

Reactions: rms