The News Thread

A cursory glance at the story sounds like a lone wolf situation but this kinda throws a wrench in that.

I saw a screencap of an article on a New Zealand news site saying a second gunman was thwarted by a good guy with a gun™ but I can't find the article on that site at all (I wonder why..)

might make these pieces of dogshit think twice before doing what they do

If this were the case, murders would be at zero in the US and they aren't

I saw a screencap of an article on a New Zealand news site saying a second gunman was thwarted by a good guy with a gun™ but I can't find the article on that site at all

Only thing even similar to that from what I've read is that the neighbour to the mosque ran into the building after the gunman fled and tried to help the victims.

If this were the case, murders would be at zero in the US and they aren't

...aren't there only a handful of states that still have the death penalty? Not sure I follow your reasoning here.

Only thing even similar to that from what I've read is that the neighbour to the mosque ran into the building after the gunman fled and tried to help the victims.

There's a guy in the mosque who tried to tackle the guy but he got shot in the head trying to do it. They interviewed a friend of his who was there with him.

...aren't there only a handful of states that still have the death penalty? Not sure I follow your reasoning here.

Yeah I'm not sure what my reasoning is. I just don't think eliminating the death penalty does anything except reduce costs for the state *shrug* I'm indifferent with capital punishment except if it's for something super egregious (like treason in the case of the US)

There's a guy in the mosque who tried to tackle the guy but he got shot in the head trying to do it. They interviewed a friend of his who was there with him.

Fucking hell...

I was reading that after he spent his ammunition for his main rifle, he discarded it and retrieved another firearm just to walk back inside and murder a woman before fleeing. I'm actually disgusted that this cunt is Australian.

Yeah I'm not sure what my reasoning is. I just don't think eliminating the death penalty does anything except reduce costs for the state *shrug* I'm indifferent with capital punishment except if it's for something super egregious (like treason in the case of the US)

Since the terrorist was Australian it's a shame we don't have the death penalty in any of our states (that I know of) because I'd happily have this fuckhead wiped off the face of the planet. Also, crime doesn't need to be reduced to 0 for capital punishment to be considered effective.

Last edited:
New Zealand prisons may be holidays but top-security American ones certainly aren't. The death penalty only works as a reducer of crime in nations willing to use it to its full potential, e.g. Arab nations and fascist/communist European nations in the 40s through 70s-ish. No one thinks "I'd like to kill 50 people and look forward to 70 years of solitary confinement; thank goodness I won't be executed".

Regarding gun laws, this single event, when averaged over the last 50 years, makes NZ's spree killing death rate 3x higher than America's over the same period. It's almost as if laws in general don't work to stop people from doing things they're willing to die for, and as if rare outlier events aren't good bases for the directing of new laws.

Reactions: The Ozzman
I saw a screencap of an article on a New Zealand news site saying a second gunman was thwarted by a good guy with a gun™ but I can't find the article on that site at all (I wonder why..)

The writing was changed a bit, but the basic story is still the same:

A second shooting happened at a mosque in the Linwood area of the city.

One Friday prayer goer returned fire with a rifle or shotgun.

Witnesses said they heard multiple gunshots around 1.45pm.

A well known Muslim local chased the shooters and fired two shots at them as they sped off.

He was heard telling police officers he was firing in "self defence".

"They were in a silver Subaru," he told police.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12213039

Reactions: CiG
It's debatable that guy acted alone anyway

Is it? I thought that was just a goofy theory.

New Zealand prisons may be holidays but top-security American ones certainly aren't. The death penalty only works as a reducer of crime in nations willing to use it to its full potential, e.g. Arab nations and fascist/communist European nations in the 40s through 70s-ish. No one thinks "I'd like to kill 50 people and look forward to 70 years of solitary confinement; thank goodness I won't be executed".

I've never looked into crime rates before and after places have abolished the death penalty so I honestly don't know how much its existence deters certain crime. Also haven't looked into whether people think "I'd like to kill 50 people and look forward to 70 years of solitary confinement; thank goodness I won't be executed" before doing so, you might be right.

Last edited:
@HamburgerBoy

USA making limitations on who can legally own a gun creates a black market for guns
someone who is actually willing to shoot another human being (as opposed to deer hunting) is going to be willing to get their gun illegally
USA making stricter gun laws will never actually decrease the number of people getting shot in America

The guy played Serbia Strong and Gas Gas Gas on his drive to and away from the first mosque. Total memelord edgetard.

Reactions: Dak
D1sZ7PtW0AEs6fL.jpg:large

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/13/tech/amazon-economists/index.html

For example, Amazon runs a program called Connections, which sends out small questionnairesto employees: Does your work provide you with opportunities to learn new things? Does your team always put the customer first? How often does bureaucracy get in the way of your ability to deliver results?

To improve that feedback, Amazon tries out interventions like training managers to interact better with their subordinates. Originally, the company brought on a team of psychologists, other scientists and product managers, but before long, it became apparent that they weren't well suited to achieving what Amazon was ultimately after: Better performance. Economists, by contrast, were able to analyze which interventions led to higher worker productivity.

"The psychologists had a really hard time at Amazon, because they weren't trained in what economists are trained in, which is how this relates to profitability," said one former Amazon economist who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "Amazon is a very data-driven place, and if you can't prove that your program is beneficial to customers, you're at risk of having your program defunded."

Not surprised here at all. On the other hand, a psychologist who understands evaluation and business is going to be the best of both worlds. That is, unfortunately, very few psychologists these days. Too many feelers.