The News Thread

That's a misleading headline. From what I've read, a Canadian politician used the term "internment camps" in a sensationalist manner, and right-wing media groups ran with it at full speed. The sites are intended for international travelers who have nowhere else to quarantine.

People are accusing Ice Cube of "running to the Trump campaign instead of Biden" but in reality he approached both campaigns and Biden said "sounds good but let's talk after the election." Gotta love that horseshit media spin, glad Cube called it out.

Suspect arrested after free speech rally organizer assaulted in San Francisco, officials say.
The San Francisco Police Department says they've made an arrest after a free speech rally and protest against Twitter turned violent on Saturday.

Around 12:20 p.m. on Saturday, Philip Anderson, the main event organizer, told officers he was participating in a free speech rally at UN Plaza when he was punched in the face by an unknown suspect. The assault caused him to lose two teeth.

Philip-Anderson.jpg

ffg.jpg

Protesting Twitter will have you assaulted now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some news on the Kenosha shootings, the guy who fired a "warning shot" into the air before the shootings has been identified and charged (he claims after that night his pistol was stolen, convenient).

4cc71ff1-59c5-4e10-bc33-f7ae0d645716-JOSHUA_ZIMINSKI.jpg

Another upstanding white ally like Rosenbaum I'm sure. A large part of Rittenhouse's defense is that the shots fired before the first shooting contributed to his fear for his own life. Also it has come out that Rittenhouse will face no gun related charges in Illinois, investigations have concluded that his statement was true that he didn't carry the gun across state lines, that its owner lives in Wisconsin and the gun never left the state.

If Biden isn't sunk at this point this is just another point towards the total worthlessness of the entire moneyed journalistic endeavor in the US. All of the complaining about Trump's mental health and Trump being a "threat to national security", and the "cure" is to elect someone with some sort of blatantly obvious advanced neurodegenerative disease and completely compromised by the main near-peer threat. Could an improvement to Trump be installed as the executive head? Absolutely. Biden ain't it, and neither is Kamala.

Reactions: CiG
So Kamala Harris and the Democrats' big plan to oppose the new supreme court pick was for 10 of the 12 Democrats to boycott it, leaving the Republicans completely unopposed?

Seems kinda galaxy brained to me.

If Biden isn't sunk at this point this is just another point towards the total worthlessness of the entire moneyed journalistic endeavor in the US. All of the complaining about Trump's mental health and Trump being a "threat to national security", and the "cure" is to elect someone with some sort of blatantly obvious advanced neurodegenerative disease and completely compromised by the main near-peer threat. Could an improvement to Trump be installed as the executive head? Absolutely. Biden ain't it, and neither is Kamala.

I'm amazed by the disparity in perception. As far as I can tell, Biden's mental acuity is no worse than Trump's. He certainly isn't suffering from a "blatantly obvious advanced neurodegenerative disease"--again, no more than Trump is. As far as I can tell, the reason Trump resonates so well with his hardcore base is that his rhetoric appeals to the most reductively simplistic kind of folk psychology. Or in other words, people don't like to think too hard, and so Trump sounds great.

Biden's no better when it comes to critical thinking; but I see no evidence that he's worse. I'd be curious to hear your sources, and your reasons for disbelieving sources I'd cite. I have a feeling that your distrust of media informs any arguments in favor of Biden; but then I'm not sure why the sources you'd appeal to are any better.

tl;dr, I'm suspicious of your ability to argue effectively that Biden's mental acuity is poorer than Trump's.

I'm amazed by the disparity in perception. As far as I can tell, Biden's mental acuity is no worse than Trump's. He certainly isn't suffering from a "blatantly obvious advanced neurodegenerative disease"--again, no more than Trump is. As far as I can tell, the reason Trump resonates so well with his hardcore base is that his rhetoric appeals to the most reductively simplistic kind of folk psychology. Or in other words, people don't like to think too hard, and so Trump sounds great.

Biden's no better when it comes to critical thinking; but I see no evidence that he's worse. I'd be curious to hear your sources, and your reasons for disbelieving sources I'd cite. I have a feeling that your distrust of media informs any arguments in favor of Biden; but then I'm not sure why the sources you'd appeal to are any better.

tl;dr, I'm suspicious of your ability to argue effectively that Biden's mental acuity is poorer than Trump's.

You're arguing content over delivery for acuity. If you'd rather your grandparents have the acuity of current Biden over Trump I don't know what to tell you. You have problems of some sort. Regardless, the Biden's engagement with China and Ukraine is no projection like "russian interference".

I have a relative in a somewhat worse clinical disposition than Biden, but obviously receiving care to a far less degree in quality. No need to call "lids" though of course, since they don't have any debate demands. It's sad. If, in estimating the cognitive difference between Biden and Trump, you can't surmise a cognitive difference, or even think that Biden is doing better health wise, you should strongly reconsider the quality of the evidence or education you have on the matter.

This has nothing to do with agreeing with Trump's statements or agreeing with the statements Biden manages to parse out at times. It also has nothing to do with Hunter's and Joe's business dealings. Those are a whole other matter.

I have a relative in a somewhat worse clinical disposition than Biden, but obviously receiving care to a far less degree in quality. No need to call "lids" though of course, since they don't have any debate demands. It's sad. If, in estimating the cognitive difference between Biden and Trump, you can't surmise a cognitive difference, or even think that Biden is doing better health wise, you should strongly reconsider the quality of the evidence or education you have on the matter.

It's too bad you aren't sharing any evidence to consider. Unless you're treating him in the room, I'm not sure what kind of privileged perspective you have. Sorry.

I don't see anything qualitative in media sources that would lead me to believe Biden is worse than Trump.

Last edited:
It's too bad you aren't sharing any evidence to consider. Unless you're treating him in the room, I'm not sure what kind of privileged perspective you have. Sorry.

I don't see anything qualitative in media sources that would leave me to believe Biden is worse than Trump.

Publicly available videos a
from the last 5-10 years are evidence of his cognitive decline. If you don't think so that's willful. If 2020 Biden was running against 2012 Obama you'd certainly notice.

The Hunter emails verified by the DOJ and FBI are another matter that aren't so easily addressed. Lots of fake news surrounding it.

Publicly available videos a
from the last 5-10 years are evidence of his cognitive decline. If you don't think so that's willful.

This isn't an argument. Maybe you're willfully ignoring the extent of Trump's cognitive decline. Where is the qualitative comparison? What about videos of Trump over the last 5-10 years?

You can't claim "fake news" and also claim empirical authority when your evidence is comprised of media sources.

This isn't an argument. Maybe you're willfully ignoring the extent of Trump's cognitive decline. Where is the qualitative comparison? What about videos of Trump over the last 5-10 years?

You can't claim "fake news" and also claim empirical authority when your evidence is comprised of media sources.

I didn't say Trump hasn't had a decline. He's past 70, pretty much anyone is going to have cognitive decline by then, especially subsisting on shitty food. If you look at videos of him from 20 years ago he isn't as sharp or articulate. But Biden has shown a sharp decline from even 2 years ago, and simply looking at Biden conversing isn't exactly depending on the "news".

It's just bad faith when Biden supporters pretend like Biden hasn't experienced cognitive decline. Some Republicans do go too far with it and act like he has full blown late stage dementia. However, homeboy has clearly lost a step mentally, and I dread to see where he'll be come 2024.

As for Trump, he's much sharper for his age. I think he's delusional, but I think that has more to do with being a rich, narcissistic asshole who has had people kissing his ass his entire life.

So Kamala Harris and the Democrats' big plan to oppose the new supreme court pick was for 10 of the 12 Democrats to boycott it, leaving the Republicans completely unopposed?

Seems kinda galaxy brained to me.

It's virtue signaling, like everything the Democrats do. They don't actually want to fight for anything. They could have done a ton of things to delay this vote, but they chose not to. Honestly, I think some of them want her on the court because then they have an excuse for the rest of their careers to do nothing. "I know you elected me to fight for issue X, but the Supreme Court would knock it down anyway. Nothing we could do!"

Reactions: Dak and CiG
I prefer someone senile with normal policy views over someone competent at promoting political violence, pandemic deaths, deficit spending, environmental destruction, and inventing new ways to make re-election the primary goal of every decision affecting the country.

It's just bad faith when Biden supporters pretend like Biden hasn't experienced cognitive decline. Some Republicans do go too far with it and act like he has full blown late stage dementia. However, homeboy has clearly lost a step mentally, and I dread to see where he'll be come 2024.

As for Trump, he's much sharper for his age. I think he's delusional, but I think that has more to do with being a rich, narcissistic asshole who has had people kissing his ass his entire life.

It's easier to appear sharper when you're not worried about forming or responding to multidimensional ideas.

I didn't say Trump hasn't had a decline. He's past 70, pretty much anyone is going to have cognitive decline by then, especially subsisting on shitty food. If you look at videos of him from 20 years ago he isn't as sharp or articulate. But Biden has shown a sharp decline from even 2 years ago, and simply looking at Biden conversing isn't exactly depending on the "news".

It's odd that the decline doesn't manifest in the debates, only in conversations. If the loss of mental acuity is real, why wouldn't it appear in the debates as well as in interviews?

At any rate, I disagree with your objection to Biden on a purely psychological basis. It appears you're upset about alleged emails too, although I'm not sure why or why you're so convinced they're genuine when Giuliani's passing shit on to a rag like the NY Post. Talk about fake news... :D

It's virtue signaling, like everything the Democrats do. They don't actually want to fight for anything. They could have done a ton of things to delay this vote, but they chose not to. Honestly, I think some of them want her on the court because then they have an excuse for the rest of their careers to do nothing. "I know you elected me to fight for issue X, but the Supreme Court would knock it down anyway. Nothing we could do!"

Agreed, and the irony is that because they were absent for the supreme court nomination, they also couldn't vote on the Republicans subpoena of Facebook and Twitter in relation to the Biden emails so that went through completely unopposed. Absolutely terrible move on multiple fronts.

Reactions: crimsonfloyd