The NHL playoffs: For Nick and other hockey fans

Snowy Owl

OSA Co-founder
Sep 12, 2005
A tree in Middletown, PA
Well, the NHL playoffs just got rolling!

Who do you think will walk away with the Stanley Cup?

I'll give you a hint: It's not the Philadelphia Flyers :( ,especially after their sorry performance against Buffalo in Game 2.

Probably not Detroit, either, but there is still hope for them if they can kick their game into gear. No one really had an answer for them during the season, so if they actually bother giving a shit they can still pull this off.

I have to admit, I haven't watched a full hockey game since November. Life demands that my attentions get focused elsewhere.

Hard to argue with Ottawa at this point, but I will anyway. I'd say no one with an inexperienced goalie since each of them without much experience seems to be f'ing up royally at some point.

Well, Esche rebounded nicely and Forsberg showed why he is the best player in the world in game 3. 2 goals and an assist in a 4-2 win over the Sabres.

As for your Lightning, Nick, I am sure they are missing Khabibulin right now. John Graehme and Sean Burke are letting footballs get past them. What they need to do is jump on Ray Emery more and make the young Sens netminder nervous. I hate the Sens!

I said we'd talk some hockey sometime when we talked after the OC show...I didn't forget about ya. :headbang:

As much as I like FoBo, I wouldn't put either of his two goals on Sportscenter. I'm glad they won though, and I'm glad they put Brash, or as my bud calls him "the black Gretzky" on the bench.

The Bolts will know tonight if they're long for the playoffs or not. I'm thinking they can get it done, and I think Burke will start.

Yeah, Peter The Great's goals last night were not pretty ones. I was hoping they would play Brashear for some added muscle, especially after Lindy Ruff shot his mouth off after game two. The Flyers are the Broad Street Bullies and they are supposed to do the pushing, not the opposite.

They've got plenty of muscle out there. Gauthier, Hatch and a few rookies will fight any day. It's speed they need. I'd have moved Kap back to defense to try and make up for the loss of Johnsson.

I agree. Hatch is tough and Rathje has good reach, but they need more defensemen like Johnsson and Freddy Meyer, who have speed. I did notice on the PP they use Kapanen and Niko Dimitrakos on the blue line.

I can spell what the Flyers really need, though: P-R-I-M-E-A-U! His leadership is sorely missed.

And yes, Sakic is awesome too! He is the only one left on that team from their Nordiques days, now that both Forsberg and Adam Foote are with other teams.

and the Wings are done too. wow.

Third Edmonton goal wasn't a goal but the 4th one was unbelievable. What a pass from Samsonov. Calgary up 1-0 in the second.

I'm thinking Ottawa vs Calgary for the cup but we'll see.

My only regret about the Wings losing is that it was possibly Yzerman's final game. He has yet to decide anything, but still.

If that was his last game, I applaud and salute one of the greatest careers in NHL history and my favorite player of all time.

Yep, no Broad Street bullies left in the playoffs. The Eastern Conference matchups intrigue me, as long as Jersey gets bounced. That is a boring team to watch, with the exception of Elias and Madden.

Out west, what the hell. If Calgary loses tonight, the 5-8 seeds advance? wow.

F'in Buffalo AGAIN last night. That was an awesome game to watch. The last five minutes alone would drive ya nuts.

And Anaheim tops the Avs in game one behind an unpronouncable goalie. also, not news.

I followed his career since he played for Cincinnati in the AHL. Speaking of the AHL...Hershey has a 3-0 series lead on their arch-rival Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins! Go Bears!