The non-metal recommendations thread!

Kudzu

Hi Tech / Low Life
Apr 1, 2004
Twisted in black armor
Awkay so apparently the big forums have recommendations thread and we haven't. If it doesn't work it will just go to the bottom and be forgotten. No stress.

It's not about reviewing stuff, just reccomending, sort of "ah yeah I like this cd cos' it gets me horny" or "I cry everytime I listen to track 4..." bla bla bla, everyone knows what it's about.

I hope we can find interesting stuff of whatever genre is out there, cos' I think everyone that hangs around this perky little forum is quite open-minded with music. That's good.

P.D. For the love of god don't post Backstreet Boys and Christina Aguilera.

I'll start off...

Blackfield - Blackfield 2

Ok if you like anathema, porcupine tree, etc etc It's bloody awesome. The band is a PT singer/israeli guy who no one knows about collaboration. It obviously reminds me of PT, but with a more pop oriented tracklist, more melancholic and sweeter. All the proggyness and metal stuff from PT is gone here and the nice solos are back. The israeli bloke has a nasal voice that is a bit annoying at first but you just get used to it after a while. I actually enjoy it now. All in all, a great album, far better than the first blackfield release. I think they've found their sound in this one, and god it's damn good...I'm in heavy masturbation sessions with it.

Best tracks for me:

Epidemic
This killer
Where is my love
My gift of silence

Recommended?: Yes, yes and yes. If god heard this one, he'd buy himself a guitar.

Ok guys...post some good stuff! :)

Ann'Sannat - Welcome Into The Morning

Acoustic celtic folk band. Guitars/Flutes/Strings and a little bit of clean vocals. One of my favorite albums ever, shame I doubt many people will actually find it. :p

http://www.myspace.com/annsannat

'Improvisation' is my favorite of the songs on there.

I'll start off...

Blackfield - Blackfield 2

Ok if you like anathema, porcupine tree, etc etc It's bloody awesome. The band is a PT singer/israeli guy who no one knows about collaboration. It obviously reminds me of PT, but with a more pop oriented tracklist, more melancholic and sweeter. All the proggyness and metal stuff from PT is gone here and the nice solos are back. The israeli bloke has a nasal voice that is a bit annoying at first but you just get used to it after a while. I actually enjoy it now. All in all, a great album, far better than the first blackfield release. I think they've found their sound in this one, and god it's damn good...I'm in heavy masturbation sessions with it.

Best tracks for me:

Epidemic
This killer
Where is my love
My gift of silence

Recommended?: Yes, yes and yes. If god heard this one, he'd buy himself a guitar.

Ok guys...post some good stuff! :)
Im with ya! This killer is my fav.track off of II. Beautifully depressing. Amazing. And somewhat on same topic...when the hell is the new Anathema supposed to be out?? Seems like forever!

off-topic

@Ripdime I was in a band signed to Peaceville until the whole thing went to crap (band and label) and it is well known in the business that Anathema are legendary for their internal fights and money issues. When music for nations packed its bags, apparently Anathema tried to release stuff on their own unsuccesfuly. Probably nobody wants to work with them cos' they are such of a handful, so don't expect much more from them. It's a shame cos' their music is great. I truly hope they sort themselves out.

off-topic

@Ripdime I was in a band signed to Peaceville until the whole thing went to crap (band and label) and it is well known in the business that Anathema are legendary for their internal fights and money issues. When music for nations packed its bags, apparently Anathema tried to release stuff on their own unsuccesfuly. Probably nobody wants to work with them cos' they are such of a handful, so don't expect much more from them. It's a shame cos' their music is great. I truly hope they sort themselves out.
Hmm? really. Sucks to hear that type of stuff from such a great band. I would never think that just from interviews Ive read, Cavanaugh brothers seem like they're very tight-knit. Album is supposed to be out this year sometime...we could only hope.

Can I ask you what band you were in? on Peaceville??

I was in Asgaroth. We had an official forum here (it's still on the site but it's a bit of a ghost town now) and that's why I'm registered on UM. Symphonic Epic Weird Death Metal gibberish if you wanna check it out. We weren't popular or anything, just another of Peaceville's non-productive bands (cashwise at least hehe).