The Norse: not the last pagans in Europe!

Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
It is astonishing to think that Lithuania was not converted to Christianity until 1410 (officially), and that the populace kept their pagan beliefs for two-three centuries afterwards in rural areas. I have even read one article that asserted the continuance of pagan beliefs in rural parts of Lithuania up to 1790!
The Baltic Crusades, launched for the purpose of converting the heathen peoples of the east Baltic region, are among the least-known, but most fascinating, episodes of medieval history.
1410---bloody hell!
Especially when we consider that
-Ireland was Christianized by 500
-England by 650
-even Sweden, last of the Norse to be converted, were Christian by 1100 at the very latest.

So, next time you think of the Vikings as the premiere pagans... well, reconsider!

Yeah... I believe there still were pagans in Italy and other parts of Europe post-1100 A.D... though most of said parts had already been converted to Christianity...

mevyhetal said:
Yeah... I believe there still were pagans in Italy and other parts of Europe post-1100 A.D... though most of said parts had already been converted to Christianity...

Maybe in the romotest of locations in Italy and the rest of europe, this is interesting news on Lithuania though.