The Obsidian Conspiracy - Instrumental Version

Heh. There seems to be some unwarranted bitterness on Youtube comments for Matt's participation. Interesting competition nevertheless. :p

Yeah, the guy that complains about Matt being "selfish" is a complete retard.

If you guys think some of the youtube comments were already idiocy at it's best, don't even head over to the respective thread at the Neverboard...

Matt! Wow, this is simply amazing and inspiring. Not only the vocal technique - recording/mixing wise it is excellent, too. Did you record it yourself? And if yes, are you willing to share some informations about the vocal recording progress?

Now that the original is floating about Youtube, it makes me realise even more how hard Matt's version rules. I'm a total Warrel fanboy, but Matt's version just kills. So much energy.

I really like matts version, not enough mention of worms, government or black to be Nevermore but well done. If I was producing Matt on the track I would have broken the vocal timing up a bit and not been quite as busy but this is just a bit of fun. I also dont understand the whining on the Nevermore board, Matt is perfectly entitled to enter this.

I really like matts version, not enough mention of worms, government or black to be Nevermore but well done. If I was producing Matt on the track I would have broken the vocal timing up a bit and not been quite as busy but this is just a bit of fun. I also dont understand the whining on the Nevermore board, Matt is perfectly entitled to enter this.

Oh didn't you get the memo?

[MEMO]
Matt is a professional singer who is in a bigger band than Maiden. He even toured the Antarctic.

Matt is also the best friend of Jeff, Warrel and Jim and is Van's long lost twin. They meet every week to roast marshmallows and shave/groom each others beards.

Matt is also not a fan of Nevermore. In fact he goes to record stores and switches Theocracy cds inside Nevermore cd cases. I also heard he's the real reason the new Nevermore got delayed.

It's also scientifically proven that Matt's version sounds like an euro-metal gasoline soaked cat being raped with a power drill while thrown in a wood chipper and set on fire.

All in all Matt is just a huge doodie head and he is pooping on everyones hopes and dreams.

[/MEMO]

:D

Hahaha thanks guys. It has been quite a trip indeed (and a head-scratcher) reading some of that stuff. :)

Matt! Wow, this is simply amazing and inspiring. Not only the vocal technique - recording/mixing wise it is excellent, too. Did you record it yourself? And if yes, are you willing to share some informations about the vocal recording progress?

Absolutely. Thanks for the complement…I actually thought it could have been better on that end, but I’m glad you liked it. On the lead vocals I used an SM7, which is a great mic but not my favorite on my particular voice. Mic pre was a Vintech 273, and I compressed a bit with a Distressor on the way in.

In the mix, I tend to use staged compression (if needed) because I have better luck with that than slamming the crap out of one compressor on vocals. On this I used a touch of RenComp, a little C4, and the Chandler EMI Limiter. Then I EQd and de-essed with my Lil Freq: high pass, pulled out a little low mids, boosted some top and maybe a touch in the midrange. Then finally a super-light dusting of Waves SSL compression, very smooth.

FX were a subtle -9/+9 detune, delay, and a touch of reverb, plus some automated delays on longer notes or whatnot.

The choirs in the chorus were tracked with a Studio Projects C1 through the same chain. That mic is pretty lacking in the midrange, so it makes a decent contrast to the SM7 for backing vocals. Waves De-esser on those, plus UAD Cambridge EQ, going for a more scooped sound, pulling out some mids and boosting with a high shelf. UAD LA2A compression, and some reverb on those.

Hope that helps!

Hahaha thanks guys. It has been quite a trip indeed (and a head-scratcher) reading some of that stuff. :)

Absolutely. Thanks for the complement…I actually thought it could have been better on that end, but I’m glad you liked it. On the lead vocals I used an SM7, which is a great mic but not my favorite on my particular voice. Mic pre was a Vintech 273, and I compressed a bit with a Distressor on the way in.

In the mix, I tend to use staged compression (if needed) because I have better luck with that than slamming the crap out of one compressor on vocals. On this I used a touch of RenComp, a little C4, and the Chandler EMI Limiter. Then I EQd and de-essed with my Lil Freq: high pass, pulled out a little low mids, boosted some top and maybe a touch in the midrange. Then finally a super-light dusting of Waves SSL compression, very smooth.

FX were a subtle -9/+9 detune, delay, and a touch of reverb, plus some automated delays on longer notes or whatnot.

The choirs in the chorus were tracked with a Studio Projects C1 through the same chain. That mic is pretty lacking in the midrange, so it makes a decent contrast to the SM7 for backing vocals. Waves De-esser on those, plus UAD Cambridge EQ, going for a more scooped sound, pulling out some mids and boosting with a high shelf. UAD LA2A compression, and some reverb on those.

Hope that helps!

Very welcome, dude! And thanks a lot for the high number of precious informations :kickass: This is appreciated and very interesting.

Man, those people on the Neverboard are just appallingly stupid and immature, it sickens me that we're hosted on the same site :puke: It would seem we're the last bastion of decency and normality on the internet :lol: